HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I WANT... SO BEAR WITH ME. AMP QUESTIONS
Sep 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Doc-holliday

Never did like custom titles.
Hey. I currently own a Fiio E11, E6 and an E10. I use the E11 primarily.

I got them initially because of the pricepoint and as it turns out they are fairly highly rated on here. I saw the shootout thread also.

I am considering getting another but if I did I would want something that would have an obvious improvement/different sound/or desireable features. I don't wanna spend money that sounds similar to what I already have or just a smidge different.

Maybe I should just stay with what I have but I would like to hear any suggestions. Around 150 would be the amount im willing to spend at this time and again it needs to sound 100 dollars better than my fiio :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I own and amp the following and they are listed in order of most listened to least:

DT990 Premium (32 ohm)
JVC HA-S500 (they are super efficient don't really "need" an amp).
ATH M50
Triplefi 10
HD380 Pro (although I'm looking to sell these)

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Hey. I currently own a Fiio E11, E6 and an E10. I use the E11 primarily.
I got them initially because of the pricepoint and as it turns out they are fairly highly rated on here. I saw the shootout thread also.
I am considering getting another but if I did I would want something that would have an obvious improvement/different sound/or desireable features. I don't wanna spend money that sounds similar to what I already have or just a smidge different.
Maybe I should just stay with what I have but I would like to hear any suggestions. Around 150 would be the amount im willing to spend at this time and again it needs to sound 100 dollars better than my fiio
I own and amp the following and they are listed in order of most listened to least:
DT990 Premium (32 ohm)
JVC HA-S500 (they are super efficient don't really "need" an amp).
ATH M50
Triplefi 10
HD380 Pro (although I'm looking to sell these)

[extra horizontal lines in quotation on accident!]

Why do you want another amp? You're not satisfied with the sound you get? You don't like what you hear from any of those headphone-amplifier combinations?

If you need (or simply must have) that new amplifier, how about an Objective2 (a/k/a O2)? It's a little over US$150 if memory serves.

I ran the same Beyer on a FiiO E5. The sound was impressive and it was always loud enough (except when it didn't have enough gain for some of my DVD rips.) I bought a desktop amp because I wanted the gain and the features.

If no takers I guess I'm on my own...

Your subject line could have been better. Why would I read a thread about "HAVE NO CLUE ..." which was bumped in less than a day?

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 7
JDS Labs C421 (AD8620)

Thank you sir. Why do suggest this amp in particular?

[extra horizontal lines in quotation on accident!]

Why do you want another amp? You're not satisfied with the sound you get? You don't like what you hear from any of those headphone-amplifier combinations?

If you need (or simply must have) that new amplifier, how about an Objective2 (a/k/a O2)? It's a little over US$150 if memory serves.

I ran the same Beyer on a FiiO E5. The sound was impressive and it was always loud enough (except when it didn't have enough gain for some of my DVD rips.) I bought a desktop amp because I wanted the gain and the features.

Your subject line could have been better. Why would I read a thread about "HAVE NO CLUE ..." which was bumped in less than a day?

First off I don't know why you read the thread only you can answer that. And after a bump you read it so what's the prob?

Second, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I dont NEED an amp nor am I unhappy with the ones I have.

It is called a hobby. I like one thing and now am willing to experiment with other suggestions. Since I know more about headphones than I do amps, I was hoping someone with more knowledge could point me to a new experience or maybe the answer is that there are not many solid state amps better than the fiio in which case im content until one day i try a tube desk amp.

Thanks for the suggestion on the O2. I read about that one in the shootout. Do you feel it has a signifigant advantage over the E11 or not much difference?

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Second, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I dont NEED an amp nor am I unhappy with the ones I have.
It is called a hobby. I like one thing and now am willing to experiment with other suggestions. Since I know more about headphones than I do amps, I was hoping someone with more knowledge could point me to a new experience or maybe the answer is that there are not many solid state amps better than the fiio in which case im content until one day i try a tube desk amp.
Thanks for the suggestion on the O2. I read about that one in the shootout. Do you feel it has a signifigant advantage over the E11 or not much difference?

That's important information. I have the E5 and I wanted a replacement for two reasons: two RCA inputs and some additional gain. For almost everything, the E5 was great.

The O2 is approximately within your budget. It was designed as an inexpensive, neutral (transparent) amp. It succeeds within its design limits. The designer of the ODAC and O2 likes the E5; so, assuming the E11 is in the same class, you'd get bigger sound. (I don't believe in "synergy" as the term is used here. If that's what you want, the O2 probably isn't for you.)

Finally, tube amps don't sound better or worse than solid-state amps. It wasn't always so. It's much easier and cheaper, now, to design an SS amp with the same performance as an equivalent tube amp. Inexpensive tube amps, especially, color the sound. If you like this "synergy", I'm the wrong person to try to give advice.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Ok well that is useful info. Ya, Im not trying to say I want something "better" just "different". I know for sure tube is going to be different but won't be getting that in a portable so that will be down the line. Just to mix and match different equipment and sounds. Mainly for fun.

The o2 is the one I was earlier thinking of getting based on the shootout thread but again if the difference is negligible I would just hold off for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back