Have I made a mistake buying a Cowon S9
Oct 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Michael172

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

Ive recently replaced a new iPod Nano with a Cowon S9 and a set of Beyer' DTX 80's. While Im pleased with the quality and general functionality, I decided to check out a few reviews - after buying it - and It seems to be have 3 star ratings. As in, there is better available.

According to What Hi-Fi the iPod is king of the hill, Im not sure I agree with this, but is there a worthy alternative to the S9? I find the controls a bit of a pig to use too.

Ps. My friend has an S9, and I'd had a quick play about with it before buying and was satisfied with the improvement over my iPod.

Thanks, Mike.

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
According to What Hi-Fi the iPod is king of the hill

popcorn.gif

lol

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 9
SQ-wise it's one of the nicest players you could get. Format support is pretty cool, too. I think the 3-star ratings are just from people who love the iPod UI.

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 9
Sorry, If I knew I was about to start a flame war I wouldnt have bothered posting that. But it seems to get good reviews. Its functional and easy to use yes but I was hoping to attract different opinions from people.

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 9
new iphones are having good sq... previous gen iphones were great too... but non drag drop / few codec support were problems...
now if new ipod touch has same sq as iphone 4... i might have to deal with itunes one more time =/

now to your question, I have cowon d2 (not sure how it compares to S9) , i find its uses... they are very quick to copy over music files on the go and listen to them, and they play all of my music collection formats...
but as for the SQ, I find my iphone 3g is more dynamic / powerful / just better in overall... (maybe with some EQing , D2 might sound better... but I have not found any combination to beat my iphone yet)

Oct 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 9
smily_headphones1.gif
think that just about clears that up then. Interesting responses, especially the thread comparing 4 different players. Looks like ive made the right desicion in many respects. Thanks.

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 9
The S9 has good SQ, and if you like the sound then more power to you. Before I got my 4g tough I loved the sound of the SE535s and my Captivate but now the phone pales in comparison to the iPod. Hopefully I don't have the urge to get a LOD and amp soon lol.

The Cowon players have excellent EQs and other digital enhancements; play with those until you find something you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 9
@straden: You might have to man, the SQ is very good on the new Touch 4G. I will probably do some comparisons with the Ho of a sflo2 later tonight and see how it goes but don't count on it. Great player though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back