have hd555 looking at rs180
Aug 28, 2011 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

alidan

Head-Fier
---sorry if there is another topic on this or if this doesn't belong here, point me in the right direction if thats the case.

right now i have a hair of Sennheiser hd555, and im looking into wireless headphones namely the rs180

however there are a few points that i just have no idea about with them.

number one would be how does sound quality compare to the hd555
and second would be how loud do they get? i dont play music or anything so loud that it hurts, but id say i play it loud enough that if someone talks to me i have to turn it down before i can hear them. but my bigger concern is that allot of what i play and listen to i have to turn my logitech z5500 up to close to max before i can even hear sound. for some reason my computer is playing crap to soft and i am not sure why, but if i mess with the volume in the computer, it kills the audio quality. so i'm wondering, how loud do these get at max?

thanks in advance.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 10
What kind of source are you going to be using?

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 10
the source, im guessing that means where the sound is coming from.

on the pc, its coming out of an integrated 7.1 that goes into the logitech z5500 in 5.1 than out logitechs headphone out
with consoles, its an hdmi input to the tv with an optical out from the tv to the z5500, and the wii has the red and white, forget what they are called.

its not ideal, but its decent enough i cant complain.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 10
The RS180 is 32 ohms, which is very efficient. You would definitely get good volume out of them. I will say that usually wired headphones will sound better than wireless headphones. What do you not like about your HD555s? They are pretty well regarded around here. Do you need a wireless headphone for any particular reason?

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 10
the main reason i would say is the cable. for me the cable tends to get stuck in the wheels of my chair all or often, and than, i have family who cant comprehend a simple thing i tell them "dont come in my room if you cant walk without tripping over cables" i had to send them back once for repair because they decided to stand in a place they had no reason t be, than run out of my room, ripping the headphones off my head, and smashing them into a wall.

another, lesser, reason that i would want them, is because i could go downstairs and still listen to music, unlike now, where im confined to my small room and cant move around in it.

in regards to how loud they can get, i have had this happen to my before, i'm listening to something quiet, than the next thing that loads is loud enough hat i have to take the headphones off... would they get that loud? its kind of a subjective thing, but its probably the best example that i can think of.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
the main reason i would say is the cable. for me the cable tends to get stuck in the wheels of my chair all or often, and than, i have family who cant comprehend a simple thing i tell them "dont come in my room if you cant walk without tripping over cables" i had to send them back once for repair because they decided to stand in a place they had no reason t be, than run out of my room, ripping the headphones off my head, and smashing them into a wall.

another, lesser, reason that i would want them, is because i could go downstairs and still listen to music, unlike now, where im confined to my small room and cant move around in it.

in regards to how loud they can get, i have had this happen to my before, i'm listening to something quiet, than the next thing that loads is loud enough hat i have to take the headphones off... would they get that loud? its kind of a subjective thing, but its probably the best example that i can think of.

Are you using the internet to listen to music?

About the RS180, I can definitely see why you would want wireless headphones now. What is your budget? I do think that you could get some cheaper wireless headphones that would still work well for you.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 10
my budget is allot but that said, i don't want to spend more than necessary.
the only reason i want to consider wireless is because from what i read, there is no hissing at all.

the only thing that i realy want is to not go backwards in quality, i have hd555, i want the sound of anything after them to be as good or better.

and as for music, allot of its flac ripped cds of mine, some of its mp3s, and some is from itunes.

music is thing i would listen to outside of sitting in front of the monitor, while im there its games movies and tv, with a few blurays.

right now on amazon, new rs180 are 224$, and refurbished is 190$, i can assume that refurb price will stay about the same.

sorry if i wrote that in a confusing way, i'm not really good at explaining things.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
my budget is allot but that said, i don't want to spend more than necessary.
the only reason i want to consider wireless is because from what i read, there is no hissing at all.

the only thing that i realy want is to not go backwards in quality, i have hd555, i want the sound of anything after them to be as good or better.

and as for music, allot of its flac ripped cds of mine, some of its mp3s, and some is from itunes.

music is thing i would listen to outside of sitting in front of the monitor, while im there its games movies and tv, with a few blurays.

right now on amazon, new rs180 are 224$, and refurbished is 190$, i can assume that refurb price will stay about the same.

sorry if i wrote that in a confusing way, i'm not really good at explaining things.

The HD 555 are actually pretty good. I don't think that the RS180 would be a real significant upgrade. The base would allow you to travel about 100 feet with the headphones. Is that long enough for you?
Here are some reviews on them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/468816/sennheiser-rs180-initial-impressions 

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/sennheiser-rs-180-909004/review 

In general, if sound quality is your main pursuit, you should get a wired headphone. However, the RS180 doesn't seem bad, it just seems a little overpriced.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 10
i want them because they are wireless, and have good sound, but im wondering if the sound is as good if not better than the hd555.

besides needing to be charged, is there anything that the hd555 are better than the rs180 in?

in a world without people who cant function around cables, i would gladly get better wired or stick with what i have. sadly my world isn't like that.
and if it was just the chair getting caught in the wire, i would invest in a better chair.

but i cant do anything about people who refuse to learn how to not trip over / run through / vacuum over wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back