Have beyerdynamic DT-880 32Ω, need more bass
Jul 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Henry66

New Head-Fier
Newbie here. Recently discovered these forums.

My biggest problem with headphones is comfort. I cannot tolerate on-ear or closed phones. I bought my DT-880 because it was the most comfortable I could find. There was a Sennheiser that felt OK too -- can't remember the model but it did not go as loud.

Currently I have the DT-880 connected directly to a Squeezebox Touch, no amp. I am extremely happy with the sound quality, except for the bottom bass. I can hear it but the levels do not match the rest of the frequencies.

I realize that this issue is largely due to the nature of open headphones, but I am looking for some good ideas to maybe compensate a little. Perhaps something specific to this model?

Is an amp something to consider?
I don't want an equalizer, but do some amps boost bass a little harder than others?
Where can I audition headphone amps? (I live in New Hampshire.)

My budget is US$200.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 7
with a 32 ohm headphone, an amp isn't going to magically coerce low frequency bass out of it. 

what you might want to try is the dt990.  MOAR BAAAAAAAASSSS!!!! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 7
The better the phones, the more they tend not to emphasize bass, but provide a more balanced, natural sound. That appears the design brief for the 880s after I gave them a listen. Amps will make things louder, but they won't add significant bass, although some people will perceive added volume as more bass. EQ is a bit cheap and dirty, but the only way to do it. Or buy phones that have the bass quantity you want.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the info and tips.
The 770 is closed and I know I will not be able to tolerate them.
The 990 looks interesting. I was not aware of this model.

I can't find any place local that carries the 990 to audition, so I will order from Amazon and eat the $6 return shipping fee if it does not work out. Is $250 a good price for the DT990? If I like it I can sell my 880 and hopefully end up within my budget.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 7
The DT990 has nice bass response.  You can buy the 250 ohm version (as opposed to the 32 or 600) for $199.99 from B&H Photo online.  I just got mine and I couldn't be any happier.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 7
I don't have an amp and don't really want to get one. I was under the impression that the 32 ohm goes louder than the 250 or 600 ohm. Wrong? (Sorry for the newbie question. Please educate me.)

The 32 ohm DT880 that I have now is barely loud enough for me. Anything quieter will not do. My source is a Squeezebox Touch, directly from the headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back