Have Beyer DT880 & DT770 / 600Ω - Is the Little Dot MKIII a good combo?
May 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got both these Beyers in the 600 ohm version.

I just read about the Little Dot MkIII in Stereophile mag., and it made me wonder if that would be a good combo for me.

As you can see I've got the Benchmark DAC1-Pre and the Outlaw RR2150 (Stereo Rcvr. 100wpc).

I'm curious to see if tubes would round out the sound or make a change that would be considered an 'improvement'.
Things sound great now with these, powered from either, but... you know... always interested in tweaks.
biggrin.gif

If not the Little Dot, what other tube?

And... part 2. Rolling recommended, if so to what?

EDIT: I mostly care about Classical, acoustic, jazz... but I do listen to rock and other.

Thanks!!

shane

May 24, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks.

What I'm asking is if the Little Dot MKIII is a good choice to mate with the DT880/770, or if there is a better economical tube HP amp for the them?

shane

May 24, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
its okay but not great

Thanks. Do you have a recommendation? Is there something 'great' or close to that in a similar price range?

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 8
I'd forgotten all about this mini-thread.
Since I started this, there was a lot of information written about this subject on the DT880 / 600 Appreciation Thread. I gave up this line of thinking after a while, so never did purchase a tube amp.

So... fro what I remember, the answer to the original question (posted in that thread) is yes. Apparently, the LD MKIII has great synergy with the DT880. The type of tubes make a difference, of course, but I would know nothing about that.

Other amps recommended within that thread are the DarkVoice 337 and Woo Audio 6. There are many others, of course, but I seem to remember these three being mentioned quite a bit.

Good luck, and I hope others with actual hands-on knowledge give you the answers you seek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back