has headfi also made you an everythingohphile?
Mar 27, 2004 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

tomek

500+ Head-Fier
Something happened to me after i came here.

it's not just with stereo gear now, but with everything that i look to buy, i find myself looking harder at the specs, quality and features.

here is what's happened so far.

Pillowfile I had to read up on the different kinds of down before I'd consider buying.

Fabricophile High thread count for me baby. A few months ago I wouldn't have even known what that meant, nor cared.

Ricecookerophile These things make a difference and it's not worth going cheap.

when the time comes, I'm sure that I'll be a shaverophile and nto settle for something crappy.

anyone else? want to contribute the gems of any particular category of product that you've researched and purchased?

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 36
vb code does not work in the title. Nor does html, which is not what you put there, btw.

Well, I think we all border (or completely overboard) on the obsessive compulsive.

Headphones are just another obsession of mine.

I already had a crazy computerized rice cooker, visco-elastic foam pillows, etc, before joining Head-fi.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 36
interesting, unfortunately now. 'file is only for people with money.

but i am osbess with bed, blanket and pillows. althought i never get to sleep in a soft bed before. can you recommend a good pillow brand, preferably not a $250 pillow.

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 36
My first video camera cost as much as Omega II. My Sennheiser microphone for said camera cost more than HD650. This audio hobby is not so bad in comparision.
tongue.gif

I consider myself an educated consumer so I enjoy researching everything.

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 36
Maybe. Nowadays, whenever I plan on buying something, I research it on the internet to find out what's good. Although, I don't spend as much on other things as I do on Head-fi equipment.

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 36
i happily give my money to consumer reports magazine. my only problem is that i don't necessarily agree with what they consider to be the 'best'. whenever it comes to anything like speakers, stereos, cameras, i consider my opinion to be superior to theirs. they are really OFF with that stuff.

but dishwashers, applicances, etc, they're awesome.

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 36
What's a good rice cooker? We got one from Costco and it's absolutely incredible. Cooks the best steamed rice EVER.

I need a smaller one (2-cups-ish) for living in Canada. Suggestions?

- Chris

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
My first video camera cost as much as Omega II. My Sennheiser microphone for said camera cost more than HD650. This audio hobby is not so bad in comparision.
tongue.gif

I consider myself an educated consumer so I enjoy researching everything.

I won't even mention computers. [H]eheheh. My headphone gear is simply eclipsed by them.

Although, I'm blending the two now.

But my main workstation is still far more expensive than my music/fun computer.

-Ed

Mar 27, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
Something happened to me after i came here.

I find myself looking harder at the specs, quality and features.

I would have thought that this place would teach you NOT to look at the specs but to listen for yourself and NOT believe what they say.
biggrin.gif

I think that most people start looking at specs indepth when they start to research computers.

But when it comes to CDPs, DVDPs, amps, headphones, music, etc., this is the place to be.

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 36
Is a rice cooker better than using the microwave? 6 minutes on 100%, followed by 17 minutes on 50% generally works for me.

I actually think I'm getting a little less obsessive about gadgets as I get older.

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tomek
Pillowfile I had to read up on the different kinds of down before I'd consider buying.

I gave up down a decade ago. My pillow of choice is Swedish memory foam.

Quote:

Fabricophile High thread count for me baby. A few months ago I wouldn't have even known what that meant, nor cared.

Thread count is not everything, make sure you pick Egyptian cotton.

Quote:

Ricecookerophile These things make a difference and it's not worth going cheap.

Sanyo, National and Zojirushi make pretty good rice cookers, I have a number of them. They ain't very expensive anyways, depends on size, $100 -$150 gets you a pretty good one.

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
What's a good rice cooker? We got one from Costco and it's absolutely incredible. Cooks the best steamed rice EVER.

I need a smaller one (2-cups-ish) for living in Canada. Suggestions?

- Chris

03_01_ECJES35_SB.jpg

You should be able to find one in Japanese store. If you are close to San Jose, try Mitsuwa or User's Side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back