Has anyone tried making an IKEA Lack Rack?
Nov 2, 2005 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Salt Peanuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Some of you may remember the following thread from few months ago (thanks Aman for starting the thread and Rick for all those useful links) -

Budget Audio Rack

The thread talked about budget DIY racks and one of the racks discussed was the rack made from IKEA LACK side table. I'm planning on building one and I'm wondering if anyone here has tried making it recently, specifically using the side table with birch veneer. I'm curious to know if the legs on birch veneer model are still made from solid material or have become hollow (as some other IKEA furnitures). I'm hoping they're not hollow since that would make attaching spikes bit harder.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I read that only the oak has solid (flakeboard) legs. My oak lak tables do have solid legs.

Thanks for the info. I may just order a birch veneer model or two. I could use side tables and if it turns out that legs are hollow, I'll use them for their intended purpose.

Nov 5, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Whatever you do, be prepared to go through some isolation/dampening of your rig. Lack never has very dense material. I constructed my rack from two Stolmen boards in the day:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...97*15852*15855

and had to do equip the whole rig with Pandafeet afterwards since it became so terribly harsh. The resulting rack looks very nice though, creating the impression of floating in mid air.

Nov 5, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I may just order a birch veneer model or two. I could use side tables and if it turns out that legs are hollow, I'll use them for their intended purpose.

or you could just chop off the legs entirely and use the table top as a platform.the lack works so well because it is such a cheap piece of furniture and being cheap uses things like cardbord pulp in combination with stiffer materials so what you end up with is actually a pretty hi tech multilayer isolation base that if sold to you by a high end dealer and with a fancy name plate would cost in the $C or even $K range instead of the measly $12

BTW-the colors are actually designators of construction method.the birch has solid legs,the black hollow.at least that is how they are at my local Ikea

Nov 5, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks again for the info, Rick.

I just learned that there's an IKEA opening up in my area (okay, 40 minutes away but still in the same state) next week so I'm going to call them up and see if they have the birch veneer model in stock. Hopefully, they do, so I can save on the cost and hassles of shipping.

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 12
One lack table in birch veneer was my entire hi-fi rack until about 2 weeks ago
tongue.gif
eek.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Thanks again for the info, Rick.

I just learned that there's an IKEA opening up in my area (okay, 40 minutes away but still in the same state) next week so I'm going to call them up and see if they have the birch veneer model in stock. Hopefully, they do, so I can save on the cost and hassles of shipping.

An Ikea opening up in Mass? Finally one for us east coasters
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
An Ikea opening up in Mass? Finally one for us east coasters
biggrin.gif

Well, there's been one in New Haven, CT for a while. I've never been motivated to drive all the way there, though. Now I won't have to.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Well, there's been one in New Haven, CT for a while. I've never been motivated to drive all the way there, though.

That is my "local" Ikea store being about a 45 minute ride depending on traffic.New Haven is one of those Connecticut cities that has no easy way in other than snarly roads with big time traffic jam roads (I-95/U.S. Rte.1 east and west,Rte.34 coming in from the north) and I don't even do lines well so not a regular road trip.

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 12
I believe that the Ikea in Newark was the first and it's only 15 min away. Salt Peanuts- all the stuff you need (lak) is self serve, right next to the cashiers, so if you want to skip the fluff, you know where to go. They have folding carts right there, just grab the boxes you need, and pay. They are so cheap, i reccommend getting extras, to experiment with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back