Has anyone heard the JVC HA-DX1?
Oct 22, 2009 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Laokid18

500+ Head-Fier
I am really interested in these phones, so I was wondering what kind of sound signature these have and if they need an amp or not.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 18
I used to own these and find they benefit from an amp strongly. For me the bass was a bit to tame and they were not aggressive enough. I also wanted an open phone so I could hear things around me better. If you want pretty decent isolation and bass is super important these are a great HP if you can get a good price for them.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own these and find they benefit from an amp strongly. For me the bass was a bit to tame and they were not aggressive enough. I also wanted an open phone so I could hear things around me better. If you want pretty decent isolation and bass is super important these are a great HP if you can get a good price for them.

thanks for the info, so these without an amp would be pointless?

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 18
There's a lot of info on the DX1 in the DX3 thread.

I think they are one of the best-value full-size closed cans out there. The midrange and treble are incredibly detailed and they have a very wide soundstage for a closed headphone. They are also very smooth sounding - I have a problem with harsh treble, but these don't irritate me. They definitely need to be amped to sound best, but unlike the HA-DX3, they don't sound like total garbage without amplification. A powerful DAP such as a Toshiba Gigabeast or AMP3 can drive them half-decently. Also, if you're not averse to a bit of EQ, a 3-6db bass boost can work wonders with evening out the signature.

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 18
thanks for the help joker, probably will get these. Do you know where I can get these for cheap?

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the help joker, probably will get these. Do you know where I can get these for cheap?

The prices on these have really skyrocketed in the past few months.The DX1 used to cost $60 at amazon, and the DX3 $80 at buy.com. There's this place selling the DX1 for $70, but I don't know if they're legit.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 18
The sound without an amp is not pointless as they still sound good, they just sound better with an amp. Joker is spot on about their sound BTW, personally I like a bit more growl in my midrange and treble which can be harsh for alot of people. They do have a decent sound stage for a closed phone and they were also pretty darn comfortable.

Glad your enjoying the DX-1's Joker
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 18
Just don't go for the DX3 if you aren't planning on getting an amp. The DX3 sounds harsh and the output gets really jumbled up when the music gets busy without an amp. I'm waiting for some money so I can get something that will power them correctly.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just don't go for the DX3 if you aren't planning on getting an amp. The DX3 sounds harsh and the output gets really jumbled up when the music gets busy without an amp. I'm waiting for some money so I can get something that will power them correctly.

Agreed, mine are just sitting around waiting for a nicer amp. For the OP's benefit I must quote ourfpshero excellent post on the current JVC lineup, with which I agree pretty much completely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is my observation. i have had the rx700, rx900, dx1, and dx3.
rx700, 900, and dx1 are ez to drive but like a small amp. the 900 is bassy with recessed mids and highs. the 700 has pronounced mid bass and upper mids, but relatively balanced. the dx1 has very balanced sound, tight fast bass, clean mids and highs. the dx1 is probably the best headphone under $80.

the dx3 needs a strong amp. with a strong amp it will give beautiful highs, mids, and bass. the bass does not go extremely low (like the rx900), but does well. the detail is among the best. it also has fantastic soundstage. but i must stress that the dx3 is a picky beast, and opinions are mixed on it.

let me put it like this
smily_headphones1.gif

rx700 = the girl next door that ez to love
rx900 =chick you met with a nice (b)ass , you soon realize theres not much upstairs (mids, highs)
dx1 = the pretty girl who got a phd you should have married, excels all around
dx3 = tempermental supermodel. great if you know how to handle her, not worth the trouble if you dont

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 18
Ordered the DX1s all thats left to do now is the dreaded waiting game.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 18
Joker, which of your amps do you use to drive the DX1? The DX2?

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joker, which of your amps do you use to drive the DX1? The DX2?

There's no DX2, just a DX1 and DX3.

The DX1 works well with most of the amps I've tried. They are stellar with the mini3 and iBasso D10, but also quite decent with the Amp3, iBasso T4, and even the PA2V2. They're also passable from my Audigy4Pro I/O Hub. They don't work well with the Fiio amps and also with my netbook headphone jack, and feel slightly underpowered straight out of a Fuze.

The DX3 is much more picky. It doesn't like the T4 at all. It's ok with the mini3 and D10, but I feel it has more to give if supplied with more power. I think its ideal power requirements are similar to my beastly AKG K601, if not greater.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks, Joker. And my mistake, I meant the DX3.

I felt my little mini3 was doing fine with both the DX1 and the DX3. But then I plugged the DX3 into my integrated amp and found that the DX3 had more to offer. Now I'm investigating tube amps, looking for a fuller, lusher sound.

In what way were the T4 and DX3 incompatible?

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Joker. And my mistake, I meant the DX3.

I felt my little mini3 was doing fine with both the DX1 and the DX3. But then I plugged the DX3 into my integrated amp and found that the DX3 had more to offer. Now I'm investigating tube amps, looking for a fuller, lusher sound.

In what way were the T4 and DX3 incompatible?

Yes, I am going with tubes for the DX3 as well. The mini3 is a pretty good match for both and the one I use most of the time, but it really doesn't bring out the full potential of the DX3.

As for the T4, it just doesn't sound right with the DX3. It doesn't have enough power to drive them properly, it's not transparent enough for the DX3's own unique signature, and for some reason it kills some of the treble detail. Improperly amped, the DX3 actually sound worse than the DX1 to begin with, especially in terms of soundstage and high-end detail, and any amp that doesn't cause the DX3 to surpass the DX1 is a no-go in my book.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I am going with tubes for the DX3 as well. The mini3 is a pretty good match for both and the one I use most of the time, but it really doesn't bring out the full potential of the DX3.

For the moment, I'm giving some thought to the Musical Paradise MP-301, a tube amp reviewed by Skylab here. Do you have any specific tube amps in mind for your DX3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back