Has anyone heard a β22?
May 22, 2007 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

pageman99

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard a β22?

I'm in the middle of a complete reworking of my rig. Going balanced.

I have a new source on the way to SACDmods/Matt Anker. It's a DVP9100ES for his complete treatment.

I've got Senn 650's that I'm going to rewire to balanced. Also have singleended Ultrasone 2500's.

So now I need an amp and would like SS this time. I dearly love my MAD Ear+ Purist Custom for its tube sound, but I might have to sell to finance going balanced.

To keep the budget reasonable, I'm looking into the β22. But after hours of searching all I find are comments that it sounds great, looks like it should sound great, etc. It has also been described as analogue sounding. Is this true? I'm looking for rich, impactful sound with air and space in the soundstaging. But even more I want instruments to sound real, like the original performance. A little forgiveness for bad recordings would also help. LOL. I don't want much, do I? Sigh...

I'm hoping to build with Blackgates and a Quad Mini-V stepped attenuator.

Any help anyone can give as far as the way a beta22 sounds, especially through different headphones would be greatly appreciated. Even single ended descriptions greatly appreciated.

Please ignore the wailing sound you hear. That's my wallet...
tongue.gif

May 22, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 66
I'm in a similar situation to you, I have a valve amp and would like to try a good SS amp, with good soundstaging, layering, with air around the instruments.and I got very interested in the Beta22, but before I jump in I would like to know more about how it compares with other good SS amps, and maybe the M3.

May 23, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 66
Surely someone has heard a beta22!

May 23, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 66
It is at the top of my list. I would have gone to Headfest in San Fran just to hear this amp.

Waiting for reviews and comparisons.....

May 23, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 66
I compared AMB's B22 and Dynahi at Head-fest. I felt the B22 had an ever-so-slightly better transparency and low end punch. I think the test might have been a bit more conclusive if they were hooked up to a high end source (as opposed to a DAC1), or perhaps they both are really quite close.

Considering that the B22 and Dynahi are about equally powerful, but the B22 wastes quite a bit less heat per board, and has a more stable power supply design, it seems like the better choice if one wants the ultimate solid-state headphone amp.

May 23, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 66
Check the NYC meet thread back from March (I think). There were alot of impressions about Nate's (n_maher) B22.

May 23, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the NYC meet thread back from March (I think). There were alot of impressions about Nate's (n_maher) B22.

I was just about to post that.
smily_headphones1.gif

The beta has been further upgraded since the meet with the installation of binding posts so that it now can drive speakers as well. That's what I've been primarily using it for over the last few weeks and it performs that task as well as it drives headphones, which is to say excellently. I like the amp so much that you're likely to see the current single ended version for sale some time soon so that I can get busy building its balanced cousin!
eek.gif

May 23, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 66
Mr. Maher, it's about time you went balanced. Please upgrade headphones as well for a valid listening experience.

What volume pot are you planning to use? How many power supplies?

May 23, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr. Maher, it's about time you went balanced. Please upgrade headphones as well for a valid listening experience.

I'm confused, do you not consider the HD650's aren't worthy or "valid"?
confused.gif
And to be perfectly blunt I certainly consider my modified HF-1s the equal of the RS-2 and generally prefer the RS-2 to the RS-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
What volume pot are you planning to use? How many power supplies?

Pot is as of yet undecided. Two sigma22's will be used for the power supply and housed in a separate chassis from the amplification section. I learned my lesson with one-box solutions the hard way with my first beta build.

And the balanced decision will only be made after my balanced DAC is complete and functional.

May 23, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused, do you not consider the HD650's aren't worthy or "valid"?
confused.gif
And to be perfectly blunt I certainly consider my modified HF-1s the equal of the RS-2 and generally prefer the RS-2 to the RS-1.

Yes the thick-sounding bass of the HD650 might mask the transparency of the Beta22. How is your HF-1 modified? Is it just recabled or did you treat the diaphragm with dampening material to smooth out the high frequency cone resonances?

Quote:

Pot is as of yet undecided. Two sigma22's will be used for the power supply and housed in a separate chassis from the amplification section. I learned my lesson with one-box solutions the hard way with my first beta build.

And the balanced decision will only be made after my balanced DAC is complete and functional.

using a balanced signal there should be hum-cancellation, so i don't think a separate chassis is needed. at least, i've not come across the hum issue myself. are you building your own balanced DAC also?

May 23, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 66
A second Sigma22 will probably be my first upgrade to my amp (though that'll be a bit...cash
frown.gif
). I'm making my own stepped attenuator for my beta22 (well, two stereo stepped attenuators, so I can also drive two pairs of single ended at different volumes).

May 23, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the thick-sounding bass of the HD650 might mask the transparency of the Beta22.

I'll have to respectfully disagree here, with the beta or my HA-2 I find nothing thick or masking about the HD650.

Quote:

How is your HF-1 modified?

1161366892_65850980.jpg

They are the pair in the front and the crappy resonant plastic chamber has been replaced with a larger, mahogany enclosure. They are more than just a little different sounding from stock HF-1s. And yes, they will also be recabled when the final enclosures are turned on my lathe.

Quote:

using a balanced signal there should be hum-cancellation, so i don't think a separate chassis is needed. at least, i've not come across the hum issue myself.

Maybe yes, maybe no. But I'll also be using the amp to run single ended cans which won't have that same potential benefit so separate chassis are the way I'll be going. I also can't imagine trying to stuff 4 or 6 channels plus two power supplies in the same chassis, the wiring alone is mind numbing.

Quote:

are you building your own balanced DAC also?

Sort of, it's a one off custom piece with the help of a friend who designed the DAC. I'll be building the power supply and doing all of the case work. Should be done in a couple months.

May 24, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And very nice impressions as well. Just checked out Nate's pics of the beta 22. Very nice indeed!

Basically everyonesaid it had power to spare, sounded warm, very analogue and had slammin' bass.

That's why I'm 90% of the way to pulling the trigger.

But is it musical? Do the intruments sound like real instruments? The soundstage by all reports is also very big, in all directions. Yet I'm hoping someone will say it's realistic, like being at a concert, or in a club or a music hall. Maybe all of these depending on the recording.

That's the last 10%. If so, or close, then it's time to start with a pencil budget, something I haven't done in 15 years.
wink.gif

But thanks everyone, for the input so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back