Has anyone else had their muscial horizons "expanded" by Head-fi?
Feb 1, 2010 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

grokit

Headphoneus Supremus
For me, it was the Cowboy Junkies. I had heard of them, but never given them a serious try before. A few Head-fiers had expressed that they were impressed with the dynamic range and quality offered in their recordings, and one "supremus", I can't remember which, said that Lay it Down was a favorite reference recording. So I purchased a copy of Lay it Down, and now have a few more of their recordings, and a few more than that on the way. Lay it Down is one of favorite my go-to recordings as well now, and I have become a fan of the Cowboy Junkies.

So I can't believe my experiencee here has been unique; I have always liked rock 'n roll, got into world music in college, and I enjoy blues, jazz, classical, reggae, jam, bluegrass and even some hip-hop as well.

So who else found a new "diamond in the rough", listening content-wise?

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 36
Lol. You've never heard of the Cowboy Junkies?!
biggrin.gif

Where have you been? In a city?!

Lay it Down was probably one of their last enjoyable records for me. After that, I just felt like I was buying their albums out of some hope they would live up to the melancholic beauty of "Caution Horses" or the quirky American folk roots of "Black-eyed man".

As far as their music style go, they fit into a rich repertoire of 'organic' singer-songwriter music which has been growing steadily, offering an alternative to the fixed categories of music we find in shops. Over the Rhine; Sam Phillips; The Innocence Mission, Moya Brennan, Veda Hille spring to mind when thinking about this kind of musical profundity, both lyrical and musical. Besides, Margo Timmin's brother was a fabulous songwriter for many of their albums in the 90's.

Well primarily I use Head-Fi to discover the geeky gadgety bits of music. I'm not so good at that. But there are some fantastic individuals here. Everything I've bought from Head-Fi has been superb and straightforward. I wouldn't ever get the option of going into a shop to buy any of the things I did here - that's primarily what I like about Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

As for music - I'm probably too focussed in my taste to enjoy the unfiltered mass of music out there.....although when it comes to classical stuff, it's really interesting hearing from other guys about specific recording artists and performances etc..

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, it was the Cowboy Junkies. I had heard of them, but never given them a serious try before.

Lol, but thanks for the rich repertoire of 'organic' singer-songwriter music tips!

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 36
Definitely. Even though I've spend more on gear since coming to head-fi, my music purchases have grown even faster. Just to name a few

Dove - The Last Broadcast - I bought this at a thrift store, but I would have skimmed right over it if I hadn't read about the band here

Mahler - I wasn't that into Mahler, but the Mahler thread got me interested. Now I probably have 7-8 versions of each symphony, and tempted to buy more.

Many electronica albums of various genres - I owned a few but have bought a lot that was recommended here, some of which I love.

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Lay it Down was probably one of their last enjoyable records for me. After that, I just felt like I was buying their albums out of some hope they would live up to the melancholic beauty of "Caution Horses" or the quirky American folk roots of "Black-eyed man".

For years, the only Cowboy Junkies album I owned, and heard, was Open. I've found a lot of their albums in thrift stores and Open is still my favorite. Just last month I got Miles from Our Home and it's now my second favorite. I tend to like what "real" fans don't. For example, Caution Horses and Black-eyed Man don't do much for me. I do like Trinity Sessions though.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 36
For me, it hasn't been so much in regards to new tastes in varieties of music that head-fi has introduced (though I have found many new artists/groups through head-fi), but the appreciation of music in general. It's been a very fulfilling process! In my experience, I have gone from "hearing" music, to "LISTENING" to music. It has allowed me to value music to an entirely new level. Songs I found that were "meh" before, are now really interesting and quite an experience in themselves.

I've spent much time thinking of how I can condense this experience into a teachable form, allowing others to undergo a similar experience. What I would like to do is be able to teach friends how to "LISTEN" to music rather than "hear" it. I feel quite convinced that a majority of people are engaged to music this way. I see too many people "listening" to their shodily recorded and peer2peer transferred music on their hideously implemented laptop speakers, all while using such during a half hour segment of highly overrated Talk Soup. Haha, and they say they love their music, when they have yet to "LISTEN" to it. These virgins have no idea what an eargasm is all about!

Enough rant. Thank you head-fi for putting a priceless value on the music I listen to, after robbing me of the money I "invest" in headphones to begin with! (and I consider it an investment, considering the returns I get
tongue.gif
) I'm out $1000, but up an infinite amount more
biggrin.gif
If I can find headphones that will nicely fit into my wallet, I think my wallet and I would get along much better!

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

For years, the only Cowboy Junkies album I owned, and heard, was Open. I've found a lot of their albums in thrift stores and Open is still my favorite. Just last month I got Miles from Our Home and it's now my second favorite. I tend to like what "real" fans don't. For example, Caution Horses and Black-eyed Man don't do much for me. I do like Trinity Sessions though.

Looollll@! 'Open' is when they completely lost me. Seen them live a few times and they were starting to do more of that kind of 70's improvised jazz-blues instead of the focussed clear stories with Margo's intoning vocals. Her voice doesn't suit rock music very well imho. With slow acoustic music however, you can hear her breathe and intonation capture words with such smooth intensity, if there was ever such a concept as smoothness being so smooth it's that intense
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread has expanded my musical horizons. I picked up Whites Off Earth Now!! after a bit of reading.

I just got that one; I haven't heard a track yet that I don't like by these guys; "Shining Moon" is the one that grabbed me right away off of Whites Off Earth Now!, but "Decoration Day" has a great hook as well, enjoy
popcorn.gif
!

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Looollll@! 'Open' is when they completely lost me. Seen them live a few times and they were starting to do more of that kind of 70's improvised jazz-blues instead of the focussed clear stories with Margo's intoning vocals. Her voice doesn't suit rock music very well imho. With slow acoustic music however, you can hear her breathe and intonation capture words with such smooth intensity, if there was ever such a concept as smoothness being so smooth it's that intense
smily_headphones1.gif

Open isn't exactly fast
jecklinsmile.gif

I get the same reaction from what I like of U2. Zooropa is far and way my favorite U2 album, but most U2 fans don't like it. I got to hate Joshua Tree when it came out. I had a roommate who played it to death.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 36
Definitely!
I have got to know both genres and artist I never had heard of or listened to before I joined Head-Fi.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 36
Bands I have been turned on to since joining Head-Fi -

Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Riverside
Oceansize
Fleet Foxes
My Morning Jacket

and these are just the ones that immediately popped into my head. I'm sure there are more, and many, many more that are yet to be discovered.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 36
Artists I found on here, hmm... Definitely Cocteau Twins and St. Vincent. Shpongle and Laura Nyro, too, I think. Maybe King Crimson as well.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, it hasn't been so much in regards to new tastes in varieties of music that head-fi has introduced (though I have found many new artists/groups through head-fi), but the appreciation of music in general. It's been a very fulfilling process! In my experience, I have gone from "hearing" music, to "LISTENING" to music. It has allowed me to value music to an entirely new level. Songs I found that were "meh" before, are now really interesting and quite an experience in themselves.......

I like that a lot, the difference between hearing and listening to music.

Hopefully I have expanded a few horizons with my Scandinavain Prog Rock Appreciation thread.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 36
I've given Porcupine Tree a serious listen after giving up on them, having purchased In Absentia after it came out (I think it was around 2003??). I was intrigued by the cover.. it's funny how much music I have purchased based on album covers! Anyways, I gave the album a spin after years of collecting dust, and was vary surprised at what I had heard!

Also, I know not quite what the OP had in mind, I've started listening to.. how to say.. "pop" music after years of being in a classical rut. Completely overwhelmed years ago with the quality, and sheer amount, of music by the likes of J.S. Bach, Mahler, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Telemann, Falla, Handle, et cetera ad nauseum, I had convinced myself there was no music worth listening to other than "classical" music.. ohh, how wrong I was!!

So with that, thank-you everyone! This music section of this site is the only section I find worthwhile (i.e. relevant to me) posts consistently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back