Harmony Design
May 22, 2003 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blr

500+ Head-Fier
Harmony Design is a small Swedish HiFi manufacturer. They make a line of good quality components including a solid state headamp Ear 90, which received great reviews in the Swedish press. Some of you may remember that I've borrowed the amp some 2 years ago (a preproduction sample) and auditioned it. Back then I felt that the bass was a bit overtight for my tastes, and the volume pot was a bit scratchy, it turned out to be deffective perhaps. I got the first one that was made. Now these seem to be solved and according to the test is sounds fantastic and for the price it is a great value. They also make pre and power amps and a DAC as well as CDP upgrades and turbo charged (upgraded) CDP from Rotel and Cambridge Audio, interesting.
You may visit their website at www.harmonydesign.se
Its in Swedish though but there are pictures of the components

May 22, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 5
So you have the final version?? Could you please tell us a bit more about it? How does it stack up against similiar priced amps??

May 22, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 5
No, actually I didn't get the amp, I just borrowed it for audition. When I did it was just abouyt to enter production. As I said mine had a small problem with the volume pot (strange sinbce its ALPS) and this may have influenced the sound as well. Apart from the overtight bass everything else was fine detailed mids and very open treble. The treble performance was better than the X-CanV2. The build quality is top rate for the price also. You can even order the amp with balanced inputs. If I see it in the stores I may give it another audition.
Now, I am rather interested in their DAC. I wonder would it improve the sound significantly from my CD6000 OSE. The other thing that I may do is send my Cambridge Audio A300 integrated for upgrade. Some upgrade in the stages plus ALPS pot will cost somewhere around 150 USD perhaps.

May 22, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 5
I recently orderd the Harmony Design Ear 90 headphone amp... It has been sent, and I should be able to get it from the postal office by tomorrow... (The parcel is there, but I cant get it without a dispatch note, and I haven't recieved any.)

This will be my first head amp, so I really can't compare it to any other amp, but if you want me to I can post some impressions anyway. Let's hope it sounds good...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back