Hard drive + optical = ???
Oct 10, 2006 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

spaceconvoy

1000+ Head-Fier
Why is this so hard? All I want is to be able to play .wav and .mp3 files from a hard drive (not attached to a computer) through an optical out. Is there any way to accomplish this feat? Something like an olive opus minus the CD player and not costing $2000. Like a 250GB desktop sized mp3 player.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Why is this so hard? All I want is to be able to play .wav and .mp3 files from a hard drive (not attached to a computer) through an optical out. Is there any way to accomplish this feat? Something like an olive opus minus the CD player and not costing $2000. Like a 250GB desktop sized mp3 player.

Quite a few people built similar product concepts over the past decade and none of them made it to the market. The idea of building a non-portable DAP is not marketable. I think people just grab their grungy old computer and shove it next to their stereo system.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Oct 11, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks. I found a lot of similar devices from this page - http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Porta...rddisk_Storage - but the R(h)apsody still looks like the best of the bunch.

One question - I'm not sure I really understand your "not audiophile grade" comment... aren't all digital signals basically the same? Why would the Olive's hard drive --> optical out be any different than the Rapsody's? I understand that with CDPs a lower-quality drive can introduce jitter, but isn't this negligible in a HDD transport?

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

I understand that with CDPs a lower-quality drive can introduce jitter, but isn't this negligible in a HDD transport?

Absolutely not. Most of the jitter is in clocking the SPDIF stream. Feed this clock noisy power and you will have oodles of jitter.

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 15
Discontinued Iriver H120/140 would fulfill that purpose also performing PDP duty at the same time.
Or if you are after stationary setup take a look at all these media servers available (Slim, D-Link DSM-520... etc), they do not have onboard storage though, i.e. require a computer or can connect to Internet on their own to play online content, like internet radio.

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
Absolutely not. Most of the jitter is in clocking the SPDIF stream. Feed this clock noisy power and you will have oodles of jitter.

Yeah, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to sources, so I just did some reading up on jitter... turns out I'm screwed either way because I'll be using a Toslink cable which (if I'm reading correctly) may introduce more jitter than the already-present clocking errors. And since I'm not really willing to spend any more than $300 anyway, it looks like the Rapsody is still my best option.

Also, to Andrew - Does the iRiver have 250GB of storage?
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Also, to Andrew - Does the iRiver have 250GB of storage?
tongue.gif

Nope, the max is 40Gb, and that hurts.... deeply.
rolleyes.gif

Why don't they make PDP with optical out anymore? I would love to have something if not portable but at least conveniently transportable.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 15
1.8 inch -> 3.5 inch adaptor, buy 250 gig hd. done.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
1.8 inch -> 3.5 inch adaptor, buy 250 gig hd. done.

ATAT, could you clarify? My main concern with these media players is (1) that they'll probably be full of noise, and on a more practical level, (2) how would one go about selecting files to play through the media player. That's why I was considering the Rapsody - it at least has an LCD so I don't even have to hook it up to a TV.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 15
H140 can be upgraded to 80Gb but that's still pitiful for a lossless source. As far as I'm aware, the closest solution you'll find is the optical out from one of the Slim Devices. That way you can have a noisy-a55 PC in whatever other room you like and only have the Slim Device in the room. You could always look at quietening your PC, but I think depending on what baseline you were starting with, it could just be cheaper to get a Slim thing. I'd get one and hide my music server in the cupboard if they put out one that would process ReplayGain (I don't think the current crop do, haven't checked). But then I'd want to be able to view entire directories at a time and whatnot, like on the H140 or Foobar, then you're back to square one
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 15
The noise doesn't bother me - it would have to have a jet engine in it to be noisier than my apartment (slight exaggeration). To clarify, I'll be plugging this theoretical transport straight into a pair of ATH-D1000, which will hopefully arrive shortly. Those should take care of the noise, and that's also why having optical out is so important, since I don't even think they have a regular stereo input. For further clarification, my computer is a laptop that stays locked up in my studio at school half of the time, so it has to be a stand alone source.

But the Rapsody looks very decent and I've found it for $150 online so I'm almost ready to take the plunge. Unless there are other devices that do the same thing better...?

EDIT - that Archos looks amazingly sweet... Anyone have $650 I could borrow?

Oct 11, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 15
Please let us know how Rasody works if you decide to get one.
280smile.gif

(BTW, I remember 2.5" hdd isn't cheap, you need to add the cost for the hdd)

===
I have different setup, my plan is

- mac mini (try to get the base model, with AirportExpress Card for 350)
- 8" touch screen (ebay for 120)

Since my current audio gear is feed by Airport Express, I can have my mini sit somewhere else, and control it via large(?) touch screen. If I want to expand my storage in the future, I can easily connect to a large FW/USB external hard drive or even NAS. (Network attach storage) On top of that mini can also send video signal.

The most difficult part is to get the mini for 350... The best deal I can find is around 470.

Oct 16, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 15
No arguments with your pursuit, but I will say that I think the interface is very, very important. The Rapsody looks interesting, but how easy is it to find the music you want to hear? If it's any hassle, I'd rather drop a CD in a player than squint at a tiny LCD and try to dig through a poor interface. Might could check out a NAS enclosure (network-attached storage) that can run mt-daap to feed a soundbridge or slimserver. That's a few added steps and additional cost, but it might do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back