Hard Drive Mechanical Repair?
Sep 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone had to have a hard drive repaired to recover the data?

My music storage drive went down at 2AM this morning with a case of the clicks! Most recent backup is 2 years old and would love to hear hopeful stories of repairs. I will most likely be calling Seagate on Monday and see what they say about it. It sounds doable with high chances of recovery, but I can't actually find end user stories of repair.

Wish me luck!

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 8
Isn't it mostly switching the disk with a new one to read?

I've never had a HD go out on me, other then Zune 120's. Lots of those.

I even have a old external seagate from like 5 years ago I think, still works perfectly.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 8
If you know someone who works in IT, you might want to ask for a referral to a data retrieval service. There are some out there. Unfortunately, I can't recommend one.

Though there are a lot of geeks here and I'm sure someone will have a recommendation.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Throw it in the freezer in a plastic bag of some sort, those will be the only stories of repair, and by repair, I mean bringing it back to life just long enough to back up your stuff. 

Good luck.
tongue.gif

Hard drives, I hate hard drives......

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Throw it in the freezer in a plastic bag of some sort, those will be the only stories of repair, and by repair, I mean bringing it back to life just long enough to back up your stuff. 

Good luck.
tongue.gif

Hard drives, I hate hard drives......

That reminds me, invest in a solid state drive. They are almost failure resistant.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Data retrieval processes can be very expensive.  It's kind of hard to tell if 1) It's your read/write heads that failed, or 2) The circuit board on the hard drive has a dead component.  If it's #2, then you could buy the exact same drive model number and move the circuit board over from the new one to the the bad one and see if it resolves your problem.  Option #2 would be the cheapest method.  Option #1, if it were to come down to that, means that you'd probably pay a data retrieval company money to attempt to get your files.  Yet, most of them don't have a guarantee - and, they charge you up front and you pay regardless of whether they retrieve your files or not.

Good luck to you.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
wje - thanks for the luck!

No problem. PM me if  you come across some specific questions or need to confirm anything with me about this process.  I've done a bit of this work in the past on my own computer, but I also work in I.T. on a daily basis.

Keep us updated on how this works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back