Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 26, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #79 of 4,588
I already have a bimby and asgard 1 at my home setup. The only problem I had was that I could not carry them with me when I took my laptop somewhere.
I gotta check how to order that to Poland, will allow me to carry the games and the sounds with me. Good Schiit.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #80 of 4,588
Shouldn't it be Momby?

The way I see it, the names were created from the shortened versions, BiMB and GuMB, so logically it should be  MoMB or Momby...

Because Mike said so ... heheheh. Mimby is catchy. I like it and have updated it at Modi Multibit DAC discussion thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/815397/schiit-modi-multibit-dac

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #82 of 4,588
Quote:

The Modi 2 Uber's USB input (and possibly its DAC section) are still bus-powered by the PC.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748067/official-schiit-magni-modi-2-uber-thread/240#post_11381710

I'm pretty sure the external PS is only used to power the coax and optical sections of the Modi 2U.  I don't know if the Modi MB is configured the same way.

Quote:

The external power supply definitely powers the DAC as I am using a Modi 2 Uber with only coax connected (no USB cable connected) and it works.

.xero1, From what I gathered from that post they needed a Wyrd or powered USB hub for his phone to see the M2U, and you still need the Wallwart to power the other portions.My Modi 2 U does not Even show up Under Device Management on my Windows Desktop unless I hit the power switch and that's with a Wyrd inline it seems like its a lot easier to just plug it in and be done.   If you don't want to or cant use the a wallwart why not just go for the standard Modi 2? 

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #85 of 4,588
  Need someone to compare this to Bifrost Multibit or even Chord Mojo. No need to compare it to Gumby since Gumby is on another league.

If that post was for me, I have no intention to compare Modi Multibit to Gumby. I would be comparing Modi Multibit against the Modi 2 Uber.

I will be doing a completely unrelated presentation of a Grace Design m9xx and Chord Mojo this coming weekend - the related part is the person interested in listening to these two products also owns the Bifrost Multibit. Certainly a non-issue for me to bring the small Modi Multibit along with, and ask his impression of it - his impression simply because he's more familiar with the Bimby sound. It has been a long while since I've heard it.

Interesting that you would ask about the Chord Mojo - there should have been multiple impressions of it by now, against the Bimby. I'd prefer not to muddy the waters by adding a direct comparison against Modi Multibit. Moby against Bimby should give you enough information I think.

And if you want my opinion of Mojo versus Bimby, from when I did own the two, my answer is two-fold. Until you can take a Bimby with you, while plugged into a battery for power, I'm not sure there really sure there should be a comparison. The two products do different things. The way I use my Mojo is always directly plugged into a headphone, and for travel (or as a small DAC, that requires no warm-up, when I'm going to a meet and already have too much stuff to carry my Gumby and UPS power source). And second, they are so vastly different in how they process sound, it is a very personal thing, if you will like the Chord "house" sound or not. I obviously like the Chord Mojo, yet it does not replace my main desktop system, which will remain Gumby (and I see no issue, had I not owned Gumby, in using the Bimby). The sound, Chord versus Schiit, is so different, I do not think words can truly capture the sonic difference between Mojo and Bimby. I brought my Mojo to a meet last year, and one of the local members preferred the Schiit Fulla over the Chord Mojo. That's how different the two sound. It is definitely something you should hear for yourself.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #86 of 4,588
I've never been that big a fan of the Yggy / Gumby. I am more of warm R2R guy, so PCM1704 goodness. That said, I am tipping my head at this and will be joining the stable when it eventually reaches the EU website.
This is a spectacularly awesome achievement! :D

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #88 of 4,588
Okay, I'm tempted and just ordered one :)

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #89 of 4,588
Hmmm my birthday is in October. If I don't get it as a gift I have it down for my next purchase.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #90 of 4,588
The cost of a Bifrost Uber (which I'm a happy owner of) -> Bifrost Multibit upgrade is similar to the cost of a new Modi Multibit.

What would be the pros of performing the above upgrade as opposed to just getting a Modi Multibit?

I would imagine that the power supply in the Bifrost is better ... What else :)?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back