Had 800 vs LCD x
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

randyb

Head-Fier
Is there something wrong with my Audeze? I know john Attkinson chose thei Audeze but mine are so dark no cymbals vs. my Senn HD 800 makes me think there is something wrong with the LCD..if not they really kind of suck.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 15
Is there something wrong with my Audeze? I know john Attkinson chose thei Audeze but mine are so dark no cymbals vs. my Senn HD 800 makes me think there is something wrong with the LCD..if not they really kind of suck.

I had both, and would have taken the 800's in a heart beat!
Seriously, if the LCD-X cost $100.00 I would 't even buy to own it,because I would never listen too them.
I returned after the LCD-X after listening to them for 4hrs one night, and 10 min the next, and they had about 20 hrs burn-in while not listening. I was amazed to hear what they sounded like to say the very least.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 15
To throw in a different data point, unless I'm listening to classical, I usually reach for my LCD-X more often than my HD800s...just so much more ethereal and natural to my ears!

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 15
Very different headphones. 

Some people say the HD800 is overly bright. 

Personally I like the HD800 much more as well, but the LCD-X is a very good headphone that is more or less fairly priced. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 15
The LCD-Xs are pretty dark-- even darker than the LCD2 and 3, from low  bass up to lower treble, then with a splash of a mid-treble spike (brighter than 2 or 3 in that area).  The HD800 are more even-handed, but with too much treble for my tastes in the 6-8khz region.  

It's no surprise you find the LCD-X dark.  I was surprised as well when I heard them.  I thought to myself, 'gee, these are not a neutral Audeze.'  I took the LCD-X to get RMA'd but it came back sounding the same.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 15
  The LCD-Xs are pretty dark-- even darker than the LCD2 and 3, from low  bass up to lower treble, then with a splash of a mid-treble spike (brighter than 2 or 3 in that area).  The HD800 are more even-handed, but with too much treble for my tastes in the 6-8khz region.  

It's no surprise you find the LCD-X dark.  I was surprised as well when I heard them.  I thought to myself, 'gee, these are not a neutral Audeze.'  I took the LCD-X to get RMA'd but it came back sounding the same.

I had also thought there was something drastically wrong with the pair I received, nut after speaking to others on the forum who own/love them, they said this is their sound-signature…so their definitely not for me, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to near them for myself. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 15
If you find the HD800s "bang on neutral", then the LCD-X will sound dark; if however, you find the HD800s too bright, then the LCD-X are going to sound bang on. All depends on where you're coming from. I do find the LCD-X the most neutral / reference level Audeze headphone out there and one of the very best headphones...period.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 15
  If you find the HD800s "bang on neutral", then the LCD-X will sound dark; if however, you find the HD800s too bright, then the LCD-X are going to sound bang on. All depends on where you're coming from. I do find the LCD-X the most neutral / reference level Audeze headphone out there and one of the very best headphones...period.

As you know, I am a Grado head, so the LCD-X literally put me in shock! 
eek.gif

It was my first experience with Audeze, and I just didn't expect/or am used too their spund-signature…don't know why, but I thought they were going to sound very different.
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 15
I've hardly used my HD-800 since I bought the LCD-X. I find the HD800 to have too much of a colored dry sound and stretched soundstage while the LCD-X have a sort of smooth realism that I adore.

I think your perspective on the sound is really a matter of what you are used to. If I listen to my monitor speakers or car audio and then go back to the LCD-X it certainly is a very different sort of sound and the detail is more even rather than all being in the treble, so comparatively it could be described as dark.

Since I got the Bakoon HPA-01 I haven't changed anything in my system at all. This amp and the LCD-X together are perfect for me.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 15
  If you're looking for a planar that straddles the line of neutral better than the LCD-X, look at the HE-560 (with focus-A pads), then give it a small eq of +3db at 2khz, and -3db at 4khz.  

Oh, no, I'm not in the market, I just wanted to hear an Audeze sound-signature, thanks though.

I think your perspective on the sound is really a matter of what you are used to.
Since I got the Bakoon HPA-01 I haven't changed anything in my system at all. This amp and the LCD-X together are perfect for me.

I agree 100% that the Grado sound is what I'm used too, this is definitely why these are not for me. 
smile.gif

Glad you enjoy you set-up! 
beyersmile.png

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 15
  As you know, I am a Grado head, so the LCD-X literally put me in shock! 
eek.gif

It was my first experience with Audeze, and I just didn't expect/or am used too their spund-signature…don't know why, but I thought they were going to sound very different.
beerchug.gif

Yep...if you're a big Grado fan (which has lots of treble...but with the RS1s and PS1000/PS1000e, I'm totally ok with), I can see how the LCD-"fill in letter/number here" can sound darker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back