Gym IEM
Dec 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

wacomme

100+ Head-Fier
I have the KSC 75's, which I like, but they fall off too easily in the gym when I'm rolling around doing core work. I have the ER 4's, but I feel they're too fragile to use in the gym, and they stick out of my ears too far. So I'm currently using the cheap Apple ipod phones - kinda yucky. When sweating a lot, they fall out. I use the phones with the cheapest ipod clipped to my shirt, cord running under my shirt.

I'm looking for new gym phones and want to stay under about $60. I would like something fairly isolating. I also don't want the V sound, preferring something neutral. I listen to all sorts of music, but mostly rock and jazz; I don't like pounding bass.

I'll also be using the phones on my indoor bike trainer  - lots of sweat.

Suggestions? Thank you.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 29
Etymotic Research MC5. It's under $60, neutral, isolating and inserts deep. Most importantly they come in 4 colors.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 29
Jude from HeadRoom seems to like Sennheiser's PMX 680i (around the neck, there is also a clip-on version called OMX 680i and an earbud version called the MX 680i). They are purpose built, exercise headphones so they will stand up to sweat and should hold on pretty well.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 29
THE ADDIEM, Brainwavz M4, Sony EX510 and JVC FXC51 are fairly small size IEMs with great soundquality for the price and they isolate well.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 29
I use my Brainwavz M2 at the gym and they are built like a tank! They can withstand some abuse.

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 29
+1 on the Tridents for your budget. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 29
Have you tried bending the clips on the Kosses? I have found that I can get them quite tight by bending the metal a little. I never have any trouble with them falling off even at a dead sprint. The problem I do have is that the cords are really fragile so if you catch them them on something they tend to break. I have replaced them at least 6 times for the plug starting to break off from the cord. 

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 29
 Do NOT get the Sennheiser CX680s (mentioned above).  I have them, and while the sound quality is quite good, they do not stay in while doing very active workouts (let alone running).  +1 to the meelectronics m6, that's what I'm using right now.  Sound quality is decent (better than ibuds) but not great, but they stay in wonderfully no matter what you throw at them (mine have stayed in through running, doing stadium steps, and all the crazy crosstraining stuff I'm into nowadays).  Only problem is they don't have any barrier between the earpieces and inner components; I stuck in some of the extra foam diaphragm/filters from my CX680s (now used for commuting).  Also, the m6s are very cheap (I paid $26 new), so no worries about breaking them.  If you have any questions about either of these headphones, feel free to message me
smile.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 29

Quote:
 Do NOT get the Sennheiser CX680s (mentioned above).  I have them, and while the sound quality is quite good, they do not stay in while doing very active workouts (let alone running).  +1 to the meelectronics m6, that's what I'm using right now.  Sound quality is decent (better than ibuds) but not great, but they stay in wonderfully no matter what you throw at them (mine have stayed in through running, doing stadium steps, and all the crazy crosstraining stuff I'm into nowadays).  Only problem is they don't have any barrier between the earpieces and inner components; I stuck in some of the extra foam diaphragm/filters from my CX680s (now used for commuting).  Also, the m6s are very cheap (I paid $26 new), so no worries about breaking them.  If you have any questions about either of these headphones, feel free to message me
smile.gif

I keep hearing about the M6's. But aren't they a V sound lacking in mids?

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 29
Ditto to the m6. Sound wise they're very bleh, but I've ran with a lot of IEMs and they're the only ones that don't start falling out after a few miles.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 29
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. The Kosses are nice phones, especially when running. However, for the gym, I'd prefer some isolating phones.

Quote:
Have you tried bending the clips on the Kosses? I have found that I can get them quite tight by bending the metal a little. I never have any trouble with them falling off even at a dead sprint. The problem I do have is that the cords are really fragile so if you catch them them on something they tend to break. I have replaced them at least 6 times for the plug starting to break off from the cord. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back