Gustard X26 Pro Dual ES9038PRO DAC
Nov 25, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #16 of 1,257
OK serious question. I currently have a Topping D90se that has return policy days left. I ordered a Gustard x26 Pro for comparison, and it’s on the way—but I just found out that the seller only allows returns if the item hasn’t been opened (!).

So is there anyone out there with experience with these two marvelous DACs who could offer their thoughts between the two? I have serious FOMO with the Gustard but once I open it I’m committed. Help?

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #17 of 1,257
OK serious question. I currently have a Topping D90se that has return policy days left. I ordered a Gustard x26 Pro for comparison, and it’s on the way—but I just found out that the seller only allows returns if the item hasn’t been opened (!).

So is there anyone out there with experience with these two marvelous DACs who could offer their thoughts between the two? I have serious FOMO with the Gustard but once I open it I’m committed. Help?
Financially best would be returning the Gustard and keep the, no doubt excellent, D90se..

I use to own a D90, which was great for what it was, but I prefered my X26pro..haven't heard the D90se though, if it's better you'll have a great DAC for sure

So soundwise best would be taking your time and enjoy comparing, and making sure you'll end up with the sound most to your liking, for a certain financial loss :)

Good luck

Nov 25, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 1,257
Financially best would be returning the Gustard and keep the, no doubt excellent, D90se..

I use to own a D90, which was great for what it was, but I prefered my X26pro..haven't heard the D90se though, if it's better you'll have a great DAC for sure

So soundwise best would be taking your time and enjoy comparing, and making sure you'll end up with the sound most to your liking, for a certain financial loss :)

Good luck
Thank you! So I’m getting the vibe that you’re pretty pleased with your Gustard, and consider it superior to the original D90? Would you mind sharing what you prefer about the Gustard?

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 1,257

I did a lot of reading before I decided to buy a D90se because some people wrote that they cannot hear a difference.

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #20 of 1,257
Thank you! So I’m getting the vibe that you’re pretty pleased with your Gustard, and consider it superior to the original D90? Would you mind sharing what you prefer about the Gustard?
Sure, for me the Gustard is more natural sounding (not neutral, but timbre and soundstage wise) and has more depth in the soundstage..the differences are very obvious to my ears with some music, like piano has a more refined treble on the Gustard..I listen a lot of piano so this is also the main reason I was looking for another DAC..with other, more modern music this is perhaps not an issue..

In the end the Gustard is the more expensive DAC and I can hear it..on my system, with my ears yadiya.. :wink:

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #21 of 1,257
I did a lot of reading before I decided to buy a D90se because some people wrote that they cannot hear a difference.
I’m with ya. I’ve had the Topping for three weeks and I’m frankly stunned by its detail retrieval and how resolving it is with my headphones. I’m astonished to discover sounds and instruments in songs I’ve listened to all my life that I never noticed before.

What got me into FOMO with the Gustard is just the innovation in the build, with the dual ES9038pros running in dual mono and those double Toroidal power supplies. Problem is once I’ve opened the box I can’t go back.

Such first world problems I have…

Dec 3, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #23 of 1,257
So, I use the X26 Pro with a Gs-x mini amp. Yesterday I tried to max volume the gsx and control the volume from Gustard. It's better, more clean sound, more details, more bass and sub, etc...is it normal?

Depends on what headphone you use, what impedance, maybe they require more voltage and of course the way your amp is behaving. I wouldn't max it out if I were you just find a comfortable gain and then leave the volume pot at about 12 o'clock, after that adjust the volume on your dac to achieve the desired volume.
Maybe the GS-X doesn't like 4V constantly (if you're using the balanced input) but to be honest I've found that the sound of all amps I had benefit from attenuating the volume on the DAC, the soundstage opens up a bit, you hear more details, etc.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 1,257
Does anyone's X26 put out a massive amount of EMI? With my headphone plugged into my tube amp and nothing else plugged in (even the power cable), I get audible hum when my amp is within ~6 inches of the X26.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #27 of 1,257
Which headset amp could I join with X26 Pro?

If you are feeling adventurous. You could use the Topping PA5 speaker amp and control volume with the Gustard Dac's pre-amp control.

But would need to buy a bunch of new interconnects and headphone cables to set it up.

I am tempted to do that with my Gustard A22 to hookup my HE6SE v2. To see how it guys.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #28 of 1,257
If you are feeling adventurous. You could use the Topping PA5 speaker amp and control volume with the Gustard Dac's pre-amp control.

But would need to buy a bunch of new interconnects and headphone cables to set it up.

I am tempted to do that with my Gustard A22 to hookup my HE6SE v2. To see how it guys.
Headset amp, not speaker amp

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #29 of 1,257

A new and better Emotiva BasX A100? That little thing is no joke, huh?
If you end up testing it, please come back with some feedback. (^_^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back