Gustard X22 DAC
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #107 of 188
Datasheet says "Marking color : White print on a brown sleeve".
https://www.elna.co.jp/en/capacitor/alumi/catalog/pdf/rfs_e.pdf
4X-Elna-RFS-Silmic-II-Capacitor-35V-100uf-_1.jpg

It is weird.

Anyway, I see great potential for modding X22 :wink: XO, all those 78XX, 3.3V VR...

May 1, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #110 of 188
Thanks for the tip. So I got it today (very fast shipment) - and first impressions are impressive! Great, hefty piece and it sounds great out of the box! So I turned the volume all the way up - the only issue now is I can only turn my preamp to 9 or 10 am before it is too loud. Does anyone recommend backing off the dac volume a bit? Seems I read somewhere that preamps sound better when turned up a bit....not sure if this is so.
The other variable is the JRiver I'm using - should I be using its digital volume instead of the preamp's?
Any advice/opinions appreciated!
Thanks!

May 1, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #112 of 188
I run X22 and jriver at 100% and use my pre for volume. Once you get few hundred hrs on it, you can try upsampling everything to DSD or try it now.
Thanks - the dac doesn't do the upsampling to dsd, correct? Doesn't that have to be done in JRiver? I'm running my JRiver from an Intel Nuc that isn't very powerful so I doubt I'll be able to do it (looks like another upgrade!). I've heard the conversion is pretty processor intensive.
Thanks, again.

May 2, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #114 of 188
But SQ may suffer. First, you may think it sounds better but when you listen longer and switch back you will notice lack of details when upsampling.

I was using it for months and then I realized it is not the best way. I don't know is it JRiver algorithms or what?..

But as always, depends on the system. You may not notice any difference even.

May 2, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #116 of 188
Does the X-22 need SU-1 to get its best like X-20?
I'm planning to grab mine during my visit to Hongkong, also any know shop in HK that sells Gustard/Singxer stuff?

Might even go across into the mainland if the shop located in Shenzhen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back