Gustard U18
Oct 29, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,096 of 1,992
The U16 is notorious of pops and clicks via I2S, and from early impressions someone wrote that the U18 didn't fix it. I did love my U16 for the sound but the glitches were unbearable.
Can early U16 users confirm that the U18 is fixed in that regard?
I've had my U18 for several months and have not heard a single click or pop

Oct 29, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #1,097 of 1,992
The U16 is notorious of pops and clicks via I2S, and from early impressions someone wrote that the U18 didn't fix it. I did love my U16 for the sound but the glitches were unbearable.
I had a couple U16's working i2s with various DAC's (Topping, Gustard and Audio-GD) and my solution to avoid unwanted noises was to set the player at a fixed PCM bit depth and sampling rate. Now using a U18 with Pegasus, working PCM is rock-solid with a JPlay dual PC setup (windows 10 and Windows Server 2019, AO).
I have only tried PCM, and playlists are always the same sample rate.
U18 here has absolutely no hiss, clicks, skips, delays, etc. and has been the most stable of the 10 or so DDC's I have used in a similar PC USB source configuration.
I did not compare side by side, but the U18 seems a bit more analytical to me, compared to the U16.
U18 isolation and clocking accuracy seem to be working as advertised. I have a bunch of USB fixers, and none of that stuff is necessary here. Also tried a LHY OCK-1 with a normal cable (not the famed Gustard C2), and thought the U18 internal clock was similar level (I currently am using a tube amp, so maybe some detail retrieval not available).
My next step with be the DI-20 DDC from Audio-GD, I am using a mains regenerator so should not need the HE version ...
I think I may be able to squeeze out some additional smoothness and depth from the Pegasus, or at least get an optional presentation and then chose the preferred voicing.

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,098 of 1,992
I had a couple U16's working i2s with various DAC's (Topping, Gustard and Audio-GD) and my solution to avoid unwanted noises was to set the player at a fixed PCM bit depth and sampling rate. Now using a U18 with Pegasus, working PCM is rock-solid with a JPlay dual PC setup (windows 10 and Windows Server 2019, AO).
I have only tried PCM, and playlists are always the same sample rate.
U18 here has absolutely no hiss, clicks, skips, delays, etc. and has been the most stable of the 10 or so DDC's I have used in a similar PC USB source configuration.
I did not compare side by side, but the U18 seems a bit more analytical to me, compared to the U16.
U18 isolation and clocking accuracy seem to be working as advertised. I have a bunch of USB fixers, and none of that stuff is necessary here. Also tried a LHY OCK-1 with a normal cable (not the famed Gustard C2), and thought the U18 internal clock was similar level (I currently am using a tube amp, so maybe some detail retrieval not available).
My next step with be the DI-20 DDC from Audio-GD, I am using a mains regenerator so should not need the HE version ...
I think I may be able to squeeze out some additional smoothness and depth from the Pegasus, or at least get an optional presentation and then chose the preferred voicing.
Thank you, for the DI20, back in the days I was using it, for smoothness and also my favorite firmware was the V3.93beta2.
I assume if I loved the DI20 as much, I shouldn't go for the U18? if only 1 to choose.

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,099 of 1,992
My U18 has never made any clicks as described.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,101 of 1,992
Never heard any clicks with my U18

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,102 of 1,992
I didn't used to have in the month I've had the U18 but have consistently had a few clicks the last few days on first track startup when switching in HQplayer from 384khz PCM to DSD256 upscaling on a new Mac mini M1 (Roon now on the M1 too) via a Zen Stream to R26.

Coincidentally on receipt of the R26 this week I initially got dangerously / deal breakingly loud clicks and white noise for a few seconds on DSD startup on the R26 direct ethernet streaming HQplayer to the R26's internal NAA streamer. Wierdly it has now switched around. None with the R26 direct on DSD, but some, albeit much quieter, and just clicks, via the U18.

There's a few variables I've changed the last few days which may explain it... lots of messing with HQplayer settings, moving Roon to the M1 as well, moving from wired Zen to wireless.

Will keep experimenting and report back if I can isolate the cause of the U18 clicks in my system.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #1,103 of 1,992
So, is this an issue that relates exclusively to switching between different sample rates or encoding types? E.g. has anyone using U16 or U18 experienced any issue while playing PCM red book files?

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #1,110 of 1,992
  • The Coherent modifications to the U18 made a fairly significant improvement to an already good DDC. I have never heard a DI-20HE in my system so cannot comment, but others put a fully burned-in U18 at a similar level so I would expect the Coherent modified U18 to push it hard.
In discussions with Tony about the upgrade of my U18, me mentioned to me don't bother with the upgrade as Mutec will be announcing a new DDC around Christmas that will be so far above the U18 even with his upgrade. He mentioned that would be a better bang for the buck than the upgraded U18. He couldn't get into any further details because the product is not yet announced but he is working with Mutec on the product. I'll make my decision whether to upgrade my U18 or go with the Mutec after the release of the product and seeeing at what price point it is at.
One thing I will mention for anyone from the US considering sending their U18 to Coherent, due to the ridiculous cost to ship from the US to the UK, they will arrange to have the U18 picked up by a carrier as their rates are much less than shipping from the US using UPS, FedEx etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back