GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Oct 11, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #616 of 8,883
I found LAN to be better than U18.
I was also feeding U18 super clean USB source via an Allo USB Bridge, powered via LPS.

I found U18 weakest point is soundstage, LAN to me has more depth and accuracy.

To me this is a very significant finding given your depth of experience and high quality system.

Using LAN direct as well as sounding better saves us buying the Gustard U18, buying extra cables, clutter and complexity.

Thanks for sharing.

Oct 11, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #617 of 8,883
To me this is a very significant finding given your depth of experience and high quality system.

Using LAN direct as well as sounding better saves us buying the Gustard U18, buying extra cables, clutter and complexity.

Thanks for sharing.
Also understandable that if you already have (and been a fan of) the U18, it will take a bit of effort to get over the bias, and accept the possibility that you may not need it with R26.

Currently using R26, direct LAN with Roon and it’s great. My only concern with using direct LAN is that I’m unable to use HQPlayer (unless anyone has figured it out already)

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #618 of 8,883
Also understandable that if you already have (and been a fan of) the U18, it will take a bit of effort to get over the bias, and accept the possibility that you may not need it with R26.

Currently using R26, direct LAN with Roon and it’s great. My only concern with using direct LAN is that I’m unable to use HQPlayer (unless anyone has figured it out already)
Actually the sound from LAN is very good already. Potentially, one has the ability to make U18+R26 sound better than LAN, but one would need substantial outlay on cables. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I recommend users to just use LAN, much much cheaper, my USB cable alone is the price of U18..... also, there is a sound character from LAN connection that matches very well with R2R provided that you use a good LAN cable.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #619 of 8,883
LAN is that I’m unable to use HQPlayer (unless anyone has figured it out already)

1.3 is needed. First, switch input to LAN on R26, then, if HQP is selected in Roon, just go to settings and make sure you selected NAA for backend and Gustarender 1v3 for output. Sometimes I have to close HQP and reopen it to see Gustarender 1v3 device in output.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #620 of 8,883
1.3 is needed. First, switch input to LAN on R26, then, if HQP is selected in Roon, just go to settings and make sure you selected NAA for backend and Gustarender 1v3 for output. Sometimes I have to close HQP and reopen it to see Gustarender 1v3 device in output.
OMG 😳 all this time I thought I needed an external streamer to be able to use HQPlayer. Can’t wait to get home after work to try it out! Thanks so much, here’s a few kisses 💋💋💋

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #621 of 8,883
thanks, great info for HQP fans.... do you know if this works the same for HQP playing local files?

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #622 of 8,883
Actually the sound from LAN is very good already. Potentially, one has the ability to make U18+R26 sound better than LAN, but one would need substantial outlay on cables. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I recommend users to just use LAN, much much cheaper, my USB cable alone is the price of U18..... also, there is a sound character from LAN connection that matches very well with R2R provided that you use a good LAN cable.
What do we consider a “good” LAN cable?

Do we just mean the non-generic non-plasticky kind? Like this?

https://www.amazon.sg/DanYee-Ethernet-Cable-Network-Plated/dp/B08BC6MSGW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_ss Pa

Or are there more specialty type LAN cables recommended?

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #623 of 8,883
thanks, great info for HQP fans.... do you know if this works the same for HQP playing local files?
Of course. I can play anything in Roon local and streamed via HQP output and LAN no problem.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #624 of 8,883
What do we consider a “good” LAN cable?

Do we just mean the non-generic non-plasticky kind? Like this?

https://www.amazon.sg/DanYee-Ethernet-Cable-Network-Plated/dp/B08BC6MSGW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_ss Pa

Or are there more specialty type LAN cables recommended?
I just bought a Supra CAT8 and ordered some Telegartner ends for it and the short cable that I'm going to run from an isolator to the R26. The CAT8 can be found for $9/m on Ebay, and the ends are $20 a piece. Maybe not boutique audiophile fancy stuff, but I've got it plugged into my Zen Stream right now and it sounds fantastic. So for decent quality on the cheap, this is supposed to one to consider.

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #625 of 8,883
I just bought a Supra CAT8 and ordered some Telegartner ends for it and the short cable that I'm going to run from an isolator to the R26. The CAT8 can be found for $9/m on Ebay, and the ends are $20 a piece. Maybe not boutique audiophile fancy stuff, but I've got it plugged into my Zen Stream right now and it sounds fantastic. So for decent quality on the cheap, this is supposed to one to consider.
I can vote for Telegartner ends as well. I am using cheap chinese Hellolink cables with Telegartner, it sounds fantastic as well. I have actually compared Telegartner with other cheap connectors, and the sound is really better with Telegartner, don't ask me why. I used to be a non-believer in connectors changing sound, but now after trying I have to believe.

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #627 of 8,883
Just use Supra stock, it's was intended to be properly designed ethernet that tightly conforms to specs and standards. Adding DIY connector you have potentially ruined that.

Or potentially improved it, if the materials and design of the terminations of the cable, properly designed or not, were constrained by a budget/target price point/profit margin. Theorising is fun, but I'll defer to the experiences of the folk trying this in the real.

Edit - I hear Supra is quality and well priced, not disagreeing with your recommendation of their cables.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #628 of 8,883
OMG 😳 all this time I thought I needed an external streamer to be able to use HQPlayer. Can’t wait to get home after work to try it out! Thanks so much, here’s a few kisses 💋💋💋
So i just got home to listen right away and HQPlayer via LAN worked flawlessly. Okay my jaw dropped, my first track was Yosi Horikawa’s “Fluid” and it sounded both real and surreal at the same time (with Cayin Ha-3a and Meze Elites). R26 eats up HQPlayer upsampling. It really ate. I expected I’d never be able to use HQPlayer with LAN but this is such a wonderful sounding surprise.

Does anyone know what is the max resolution for the LAN? I dunno why I can’t find this information online.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #629 of 8,883
Or potentially improved it, if the materials and design of the terminations of the cable, properly designed or not, were constrained by a budget/target price point/profit margin. Theorising is fun, but I'll defer to the experiences of the folk trying this in the real.

Edit - I hear Supra is quality and well priced, not disagreeing with your recommendation of their cables.
No, you potentially create an impedance mismatch or other high speed transmission issues that the original finished cable was tested for . It's down to luck, not quality of connectors. Thinking it sounds better is not a a real test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back