Gungnir Multibit Noise Problem
Mar 1, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #16 of 26
I have not heard from Schiit.  Been 8 days.
Not sure what is Normal.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #18 of 26
Sorry to hear that...

I actually thought of buying a Gungnir but this hobby man.. you initially have to rely on other's comments and a lot of times you have to pull the trigger to make that final decision...

I hope you get taken care of.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #19 of 26
Could be the solution isn't obvious. I sure hope they can replicate the problem.

I still love the company and their products. I've had the Gungnir for some 1-2 years and I love it. I'm using the differential outputs. I get a noticable performance boost.

The multi-bit upgrade added a lot more fluidity to the music. There's just more there.

Since the DAC is away I've decided to incorporate a preamp into the 300B. 2V wasn't quite enough. Im also building a differential phono preamp and PS.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #20 of 26
Yesterday I received an email from Schiit support.....

"It is currently with our techs. They are trying to replicate the issues you have described, and as of yet have been unable to replicate them."

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #21 of 26
Good News....
Techs were able to replicate the problem, isolated the issue to a component,  and have replaced the board.  The repair is complete and will ship back today.  Tracking information will be sent shortly. 

I have asked for details regarding the issue and component.  Stay tuned.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #23 of 26
I don't think you have to worry.  I've had Schiit products for years and this is my first repair.
Sometime you get a problem that is out of the ordinary.  Rather than just swap something they took the time to track it down and probably learned from it.  It's the weird ones you learn from.

I would not hesitate to purchase more Schiit products.  When my friend are looking for a DAC/HPA I direct them straight to Schiit.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #24 of 26
My guess is it a bad relay/coil and since the optical/usb input are both digital they would be far more sensitive to picking up noise just my rough guess. I still wonder why they use a mechanical relay for switching sources unless it is for power handling reasons.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 26
I asked for more information but they said they couldn't give it to me.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #26 of 26
FYI, I had same popping, quite loud with my 99dB/W speakers, gave a nice DC thump to the 15" woofer. Sample rate or input switch, even without any inputs physically connected.

Lots of mails back and forth, over one month away with Sonority, but they finally got a new motherboard installed. Having it on for the very first minute I could hear a very faint switch pop, but now it's completely silent on any switch (except the mechanical noise of course). Let's hope it keeps that way. :)

But yeah if you hear it, it's abnormal, claim warranty, refer to this thread and you should be golden.

edit: few months later.. still all good, no popping..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back