Gumys vs. MX500 vs. stock iPod buds
Jun 5, 2008 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
Just got some JVC Gumy earbuds after reading the thread comparing the Gumys to the Yuin PK-2s.

The Gumys do not sound very good. They sound good for $10, but they don't sound good. The lows are not too bad, but the highs are a mess. They can't handle the high range at all, and the mid-high range sounds a bit tinny and is not pleasant to the ears.

I found that I had an old set of Sennheiser MX500s, so I decided to compare them with the Gumys and the stock iPod buds. The iPod buds are really not too bad. They are a little midbass-heavy, and don't have a very low end. The high end sounds OK, but there is not much of it. This is better than the bright but distorted sound from the Gumys.

The MX500s have pretty good balance, but they just sound weak, like they've got no life at all. Just really dull, like you took an EQ and turned everything down. They just aren't very fun to listen to at all. This is probably why I forgot I even had them. The stock iPod buds are preferable. Maybe not quite as balanced, but at least they've got some life. Overall, though, they are not very satisfying. Pretty good consumer quality but not enough for an audio nerd.

So my search for a set of traditional-style earbuds continues...

And in the meantime, I'm pondering whether to exchange my Q-Jays for Super.fi 5 Pros or be satisfied with the CX300 and reduced bass EQ.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And in the meantime, I'm pondering whether to exchange my Q-Jays for Super.fi 5 Pros or be satisfied with the CX300 and reduced bass EQ.

Since I'm the guy who still thinks after a couple of months of using them daily that the Gumys are still the equal of PK2s with a very pleasing sound signature, with punchy lows and highs that are rather detailed and nice, you'll probably want to avoid the SF5s since I positively love mine
wink.gif

The only thing I can add is find the Gumys are very positional dependent. Left on their own, they tend to turn outwards to the front a bit which destroys their sound. I just turn them back straight in to my ear canal and, bamf, $10 earbuds that equal the Yuin PK2s. Since the only earbuds I ever found better than the Yuins were over $100, I'm sticking with my Gumys.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 5
I bought a pair of Gumys too, based on that thread, but I only paid $5.99 or something (free ship with Amazon Prime), and eventually gave them away. I too found them really lousy out of the box, all the bad stuff. I was using donut style pads (from my Yuins), and when I switched to the full foam pads (and pretty thick ones), I found them to be decent enough. I haven't had PK2s in over a year, but I do have OK3s, which are $69 now (prices just posted), and while the OK3s are superior, and should be, I didn't detest the Gumys after the new foam pads (and some moving around, as Channum notes). Anyway, FWIW.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I'm the guy who still thinks after a couple of months of using them daily that the Gumys are still the equal of PK2s with a very pleasing sound signature, with punchy lows and highs that are rather detailed and nice, you'll probably want to avoid the SF5s since I positively love mine
wink.gif

The only thing I can add is find the Gumys are very positional dependent. Left on their own, they tend to turn outwards to the front a bit which destroys their sound. I just turn them back straight in to my ear canal and, bamf, $10 earbuds that equal the Yuin PK2s. Since the only earbuds I ever found better than the Yuins were over $100, I'm sticking with my Gumys.

I'm sticking with mine too. They do tend to migrate outwards, but one they are turned more inward, the sound comes more to life. Nowhere near the equal of my home use IEMs (ER4Ps), but for work and round about town, I love 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back