Guitars: Learning to Play - But I Want to AVOID Callouses!
Jun 11, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously what is it with you and your hands? Nobody gives a flying feck what they look like unless you're a hand model, which I highly doubt you are. This is the most absurd threat I've ever seen on any forum ever!
How does it feel to be the most dumb person on the internet?
No, seriously, I'm interested; is it pure narcissistic vanity or is there a genuine reason that your hands should be unscathed? I'm in genuine shock.

I've reported your post to the moderators for trolling and with any luck it will be deleted, along with this, my reply to it - which you're not worth by any stretch of the imagination, but I've a few minutes to kill before I sleep.

So far as "retardation" goes, none of my meagre stupidities could possibly challenge yours: of taking the internet far too seriously.

I am a painter and a draftsman and if I lost suppleness or sensitivity in my fingers, my quality of life would be greatly depreciated and my livelihood jeopardized. Moreover, callouses are vulgar; I am, yes, far too narcissistic to risk mutilating any part of my body - apart from my lungs.

Sod off, chav.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #33 of 74
Jun 11, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #34 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and watch out for the D#. It's scary!

...but nowhere near as terrifying as E#!

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #35 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but nowhere near as terrifying as E#!

Yeah, the E# is F Natural's evil twin!

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #36 of 74
I think a flute may be a good choice for you.

And to answer a previous question, yes electric guitars will shred your delicate fingertips, as electric guitars use steal strings. The higher strings are not wound, and they are like little razor blades designed to cut thin slices into your fingertips. The lower strings are wound, and the tiny ridges that the winding produces act like a serrated razor blade designed to shred and tear at your fingertips. You will get cuts, tears and abrasions on your fingertips in the beginning if you are a guitarist - there is no way around it.

I have been playing for 26+ years, and I remember in the first year I would play until my fingers literally bled. But you must keep at it and endure some minor pain for a little while if you want to get any good. Once the fingertips heal over the callouses are barely noticeable - at least for me. Although the fingertips on my frethand (as well as the part of the thumb that rests on the back of the neck of the guitar) do have callouses, I can no longer see them - they now just look like normal fingertips. This could be due to many years of playing though. Other than a little bit of pain caused in the beginning of my guitar playing career, the callouses have never caused any problems with dexterity or finesse as required while painting or drawing, etc.

My advice is to stay away from guitars and other stringed instruments.

If you want to take up an instrument, a few that may work for you:

Harmonica - although this may cause sores on tongue and lips with excessive practice.

Flute - depending on just how sensitive your fingers are, may cause mild pain with excessive playing, but will most likely not cause any callouses.

Theromin - zero wear and tear on fingers/hands.

Trinagle or Wood Block - Shouldn't cause any callouses.

Keyboard/Piano/Moog - Just don't overdo it with lengthy practicing and you should be ok.

Diggery Doo - no callouses here, but you need a good set of lungs so if you smoke, forget about it.

And the list goes on...

Just know that none of the above instruments attract the ladies attention quite the way an electric or acoustic guitar does. Ask me how I know... LOL
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #37 of 74
OH, OH, Ohhhh!

I just thought of a stringed instrument that will work for you!

The Pedal Steel Guitar!

You use finger picks on your pick hand, and a slide for your fret hand. Your fingers never even have to touch the strings. But you will have to have a burning love for country, experimental and or hawaiian type music, because that's what pedal steel guitars are generally used for...

Bill_L.jpg

Also known as lap steel guitar:

68_model1010a-small.jpg

I played around with one before, they are indeed capable of making some pretty cool and freaky sounds I must admit. Could be fun to run one through a multi effects unit and see just how creative you can get. Who knows, you could become the next big thing in experimental music... Maybe create your own genre of music. Perhaps a Heavy Metal band built around the use of a pedal steel guitar, LOL! Stranger s**t has happened in the music world.

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've reported your post to the moderators for trolling and with any luck it will be deleted, along with this, my reply to it - which you're not worth by any stretch of the imagination, but I've a few minutes to kill before I sleep.

So far as "retardation" goes, none of my meagre stupidities could possibly challenge yours: of taking the internet far too seriously.

I am a painter and a draftsman and if I lost suppleness or sensitivity in my fingers, my quality of life would be greatly depreciated and my livelihood jeopardized. Moreover, callouses are vulgar; I am, yes, far too narcissistic to risk mutilating any part of my body - apart from my lungs.

Sod off, chav.

Well if you are right handed, your fret hand is your left so the callouses will not affect you in the rest of your work. If not, on my hands over the years there is really not that much of a thickness to blunt touch-feel on my fretting hand. The difference in feel on the fingertips between my right and left is pretty subtle.

You cannot play properly without callouses -- they will develop if you play at all and can't be avoided. For Nylon or SteelString guitars the fingertips need to have the protection. Soft fingertips for SteelString is quite painful actually.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also try a keytar if you want to jump around and rock out like a "real" rock star!

keytarv2page.jpg

P.S. I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little bit intrigued by this instrument... Maybe santa will bring me one this Christmas.

You could even wear gloves with that!

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could even wear gloves with that!

Gloves lined with a beautifully but subtly fragranced hand cream,
ahhhhh
redface.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #43 of 74
If you play guitar, you just have to accept callouses, and a little bit of pain on the fingertips when starting . Thats just the way it is.

(hehe, when you get to bleeding stage thats another story
wink.gif
)

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #44 of 74
I'm an illustrator by trade, so I need my hands as well.

I'm also an electric bass player, and it doesn't get worse than that for fingers. After you build the necessary callouses (it can be built without bleeding and blistering if you take your time), there is no visible difference, and slight difference in texture which can only be felt by running you nail on the skin. It's not harmful, it's your body's way of preventing harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back