Guitars: Learning to Play - But I Want to AVOID Callouses!
Jun 10, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #16 of 74
I used a classical guitar for the past six months or so and it's a good option. However it's not for all styles of music so it's important to figure out what you want to play. Also there are a lot less good classical guitar bargains out there.

Good Luck.

Jun 10, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #17 of 74
The ends of my fingers on my left hand are dead after 15 years of playing. Quite impressive actually! Forget the guitar, it's so 1998, play the piano, that's what all the cool kids do!

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 74
"First, find an electric guitar. Then take some time and learn how to play..."

Are you some kind of George Constanza Hand Model?

Well, are you!?

Afraid of bruising your precious finger tips? Loosing that midas-touch?

Well, buster, let me tell you something!

The country, the society, that you live in was founded upon the bruised, bloodied finger tips of heroes! They sacrificed to ensure you could sit down in Freedom and play the D, the C, the G, and eventually work your way to the F.

There is no gain without pain! There will be no groupies without bruised, bloodied, nerve-damaged fingertips!

You know what you must do. For your honor, your family, your country.

May Eru be with you.

wink.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sacrificed to ensure you could sit down in Freedom and play the D, the C, the G, and eventually work your way to the F.

...and watch out for the D#. It's scary!

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #22 of 74
In my experience, I have not met a good guitarist who does not have callouses. I have also noticed a trend that those who start learning guitar by getting their chops on a classical guitar, playing classical music, tend to have the best fundamental technique. Those who learn on acoustic guitar and play pop music get massive callouses. Those who learn first on an electric guitar with nice action tend to not ever play acoustic or classical guitar.

So, by starting on a fat acoustic guitar with fat Martin strings*...you are building up a nice set of callouses that will enable you to try any other guitar with reckless abandon!
smily_headphones1.gif

*Anecdotally, I found that Martin strings were the roughest on my fingers, and gave me thick, impenetrable callouses.

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #26 of 74
Harmonica?

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #27 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or maybe a mandolino ?

You'll probably get worse callouses from a mandolin,as there are 2 metal strings per course (note) gouging your fingers. When I first started playing one my fingers actually used to bleed after a few minutes playing. It all heals up after a while and the hard skin is nature's way of protectng you. I do tend to bite it off which disgusts girlfriends etc. but it's all good fun. Some Nivea might help keep your skin soft I suppose.

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #29 of 74
Seriously what is it with you and your hands? Nobody gives a flying feck what they look like unless you're a hand model, which I highly doubt you are. This is the most absurd thread I've ever seen on any forum ever!
How does it feel to be the most dumb person on the internet?
No, seriously, I'm interested; is it pure narcissistic vanity or is there a genuine reason that your hands should be unscathed? I'm in genuine shock.

Jun 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #30 of 74
You'll get callouses from almost any instrument. I got callouses on my fingers (especially my right thumb) when I played clarinet in middle school. Callouses on my fingers from bass and electric/acoustic/classical guitar. Callouses on my hands from the drums. They're just callouses, why are you so desperate to play an instrument but have no callouses?

edit: Plus, all the girls that I've been with have liked the callouses from guitar.

wink.gif

edit 2: Unless, you're a woman? Then I could understand not wanting to have callouses on your fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back