Guitar-fi anyone?
Jan 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #121 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that Les Paul looks amazing rlpaul....
Would love to get my hands on a Les Paul Studio at some point, the price has recently been lowered in Denmark, so I am very tempted.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to have a flametop sunburst Epiphone LP back in the day... but wanted something non-standard looking this time around. The 'standard' maple top is a nice change of pace over flame or quilt.

When I start playing more, I'll probably start thinking about getting another flame top guitar.... the Dark Fire has caught my eye in particular
ph34r.gif

Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Bass Guitars, Baldwin Pianos and

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #123 of 833
Video: Gibson Dark Fire guitar hands-on - Engadget @ CES.

Pretty cool tech... Love the way when he changes profile, the tuning pegs unwind/wind to change (part of) the tone!

Somehow I feel (after last nights documentary) that it has over complicated a simple design, and a timeless classic...
tongue.gif
What do you all think?

Watch the vid, its worth it.

Matt

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #124 of 833
The Dark Fire IMO is more of a Live Gig guitar where guitarists have to change the tone and tuning on-the-go. Other than that, I don't see a point of having this technology if you're gonna sit in front of your stack and tweak the sound from there.

Heck. I wanna do this mod. It's cheaper!

wdu_hh3t11_03

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #125 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some beautiful pics on this thread, they make me a little jealous... my setup is pretty basic: red telecaster->line 6 pod->audio technica ath-a900. No pedals yet, and I would probably annoy the hell out of my roommates with an amp..

You don't need a pricey rig to just play and have fun, your rig looks up to the task. Just last night I fooled around with multitracking for the first time by checking out Garageband on my Macbook. Simple chain - Tele to amp to mic to Mac (via apogee duet). Added some reverb and chorus from garageband to help the tracks mesh a bit and voila!

YouTube - Jumping Someone Else's Train - The Cure Cover - Apogee Duet Multitrack Demo

All the levels aren't blended smooth like Brian Eno would do, but I tried to stay true to the lo-fi mixing done on the original early Cure track. Oh, and to monitor I used the workmanlike AKG K81DJ from the Duet's headphone out. Nice portable little workstation, and you can add an attenuator and Direct I/O box if you need to do this in absolute silence, instead of using a Mic.

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #129 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Dark Fire is an abomination of the Les Paul name. I don't know what Gibson's thinking.

It's not too bad style wise... I wouldn't call it an abomination of the Les Paul name. I would save that title for every single one of these new lightened chambered guitars they're calling Les Pauls. A les paul should be a solid heavy slab of mahogany.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #130 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman19853 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's too bad style wise... I wouldn't call it an abomination of the Les Paul name. I would save that title for every single one of these new lightened chambered guitars they're calling Les Pauls. A les paul should be a solid heavy slab of mahogany.

If it doesn't weigh as much as a boat anchor it ain't a Les Paul...

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #131 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it doesn't weigh as much as a boat anchor it ain't a Les Paul...

Exactly! Oh, and I meant to say its not too bad style wise...

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #132 of 833
Jan 22, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #135 of 833
Just bought a cheap Schecter Omen-7 to add a 7-string to the collection. Picked up a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge and a SH-2n for the neck. Also ordered some push pull pots to add either coil tapping or series/parallel, haven't decided yet.

On a side note, the Peavey Classic 30 head I ordered the day after Christmas STILL isn't in
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back