Guitar-fi anyone?
Jan 6, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #676 of 833
  I waste way more money on Guitar-fi than Head-fi.

I know how that is.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #677 of 833
Anyone here spent over 400$ on interconnect jack cables? You know, them silver ones? Lol

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #679 of 833
I've spent over a thousand dollars on interconnects. I'm not sure but I think it was worth it.

I was simply trying to understand that logic on investing interconnects when we talk about audiophile gear. Years and years I used to pitch in harmony-central pedals forum and no one there brought up using silver interconnects meanwhile their guitar, pedals and amps would sum the amount of a nice brand new car. I'm fact even "tone" purists never even really bragged about quarter inch cables - if we can plug in direct and if the cable was durable, then we're good to go.

Me just thinking it loud.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #680 of 833
I was simply trying to understand that logic on investing interconnects when we talk about audiophile gear. Years and years I used to pitch in harmony-central pedals forum and no one there brought up using silver interconnects meanwhile their guitar, pedals and amps would sum the amount of a nice brand new car. I'm fact even "tone" purists never even really bragged about quarter inch cables - if we can plug in direct and if the cable was durable, then we're good to go.

Me just thinking it loud.

I agree, it's been an ever-ongoing debate as to whether and how much and how these cables (may) make a difference. Some people are insistent that they do, others, that they do not. Unfortunately, we have no measuring apparatus with which to look at the question. All we have is our ears.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #681 of 833
Have just picked up a Les Paul today, totally in love with it already 
etysmile.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #683 of 833

Beautiful fretboard and I love those tuning pegs! You're a rock star now. Have fun!

Thanks! I get it to replace my Stratocaster I had, which was robbed from me. Currently thinking, should I get another Strat, or an SG? I used to see myself as a Fender guy (even my acoustic guitar is a Fender) but now I have to admit this Gibson sound is growing on me..

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #684 of 833

Thanks! I get it to replace my Stratocaster I had, which was robbed from me. Currently thinking, should I get another Strat, or an SG? I used to see myself as a Fender guy (even my acoustic guitar is a Fender) but now I have to admit this Gibson sound is growing on me..

I've always liked the sound and feel of an SG--it was my first guitar many moons ago...

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #685 of 833
Yeah +1, the last sg I played from a band mate delivered the rawk with great articulation! Congrats

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #686 of 833
  Have just picked up a Les Paul today, totally in love with it already 
etysmile.gif

This is beauuutiifuulll! How much did you score?

I'm hoping its not over $1000 as I have seen a Gibson Les Paul here on a below 1000 bucks price range: http://www.guitarsreport.com/best-electric-guitar-under-1000/

I am also not sure which is better (I am not an expert so I need advise), should I get a Telecaster or a Les Paul? What's the difference?

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #687 of 833
  I am also not sure which is better (I am not an expert so I need advise), should I get a Telecaster or a Les Paul? What's the difference?

Pretty much everything differs on these two.

One uses a bolted neck (the Tele), the other a set neck. That has a certain influence on the sound, but also a considerable influence on the ergonomics where the neck joins the body.

The electronics are hugely different, apart from some Telecasters that use the same pickup arrangement as Les Pauls. That's probably what has the most influence on the sound.

Then again, they're too different to be compared. One (the Tele) is a very simple, rustic instrument, the other is slightly more sophisticated but also (in my experience as an amateur Luthier) significantly more fragile. No Neck/Body angle (meaning that the strings are parallel to the body), flat Headstock (as opposed to an Angled Headstock, as on the Les Paul, that glues two pieces of wood together to create an angle that changes the way strings are retained on the nut (the white bit next to the Head) etc...

Neck profiles differ too, which has a direct influence on comfort. 

I'll refrain from trying to describe and compare their respective sound signatures, since it won't mean a thing if you don't have a auditive "base" memory on which to draw. It would be like trying to explain "transparency" to someone that never cared about how one's headphones could sound.

As such, I could not recommend highly enough to just listen as much as possible to guitar centered tunes and just try and find a sound that you like.

Are you starting out ?

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #688 of 833
  Pretty much everything differs on these two.

One uses a bolted neck (the Tele), the other a set neck. That has a certain influence on the sound, but also a considerable influence on the ergonomics where the neck joins the body.

The electronics are hugely different, apart from some Telecasters that use the same pickup arrangement as Les Pauls. That's probably what has the most influence on the sound.

Then again, they're too different to be compared. One (the Tele) is a very simple, rustic instrument, the other is slightly more sophisticated but also (in my experience as an amateur Luthier) significantly more fragile. No Neck/Body angle (meaning that the strings are parallel to the body), flat Headstock (as opposed to an Angled Headstock, as on the Les Paul, that glues two pieces of wood together to create an angle that changes the way strings are retained on the nut (the white bit next to the Head) etc...

Neck profiles differ too, which has a direct influence on comfort. 

I'll refrain from trying to describe and compare their respective sound signatures, since it won't mean a thing if you don't have a auditive "base" memory on which to draw. It would be like trying to explain "transparency" to someone that never cared about how one's headphones could sound.

As such, I could not recommend highly enough to just listen as much as possible to guitar centered tunes and just try and find a sound that you like.

Are you starting out ?

yeah what he said...
i've owned many over the years and i think its a very personal thing
if you wanna find that one guitar there are so many options
go to a good music store and play a bunch of different models to see what moves you
hang it off a strap and make sure its comfortable, a strat feels great, a lp is heavy, teles and sg's are neck heavy
so they feel very different standing up than sitting down, make sure you take the amp into consideration
also play everything with a clean tone, no distortion is very revealing, don't listen to the sales guy in the store, he's a jerk
is a set-neck better than a bolt on? probably, a tip-back headstock is going to have lower string tension also
good luck, post a pic

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #689 of 833
  This is beauuutiifuulll! How much did you score?

I'm hoping its not over $1000 as I have seen a Gibson Les Paul here on a below 1000 bucks price range: http://www.guitarsreport.com/best-electric-guitar-under-1000/

According to current conversion rate, it costs me $1,150 USD.

As customcoco and Arty McGhee there pointed out, it's a very personal thing. I personally didn't like the Telecaster I tried (American standard), to me it sounded too dry. I imagine it would be great for someone who plays something like fast rock, but I definitely prefers a Strat or a Les Paul over a Tele.

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #690 of 833
  yeah what he said...
i've owned many over the years and i think its a very personal thing
if you wanna find that one guitar there are so many options
go to a good music store and play a bunch of different models to see what moves you
hang it off a strap and make sure its comfortable, a strat feels great, a lp is heavy, teles and sg's are neck heavy
so they feel very different standing up than sitting down, make sure you take the amp into consideration
also play everything with a clean tone, no distortion is very revealing, don't listen to the sales guy in the store, he's a jerk
is a set-neck better than a bolt on? probably, a tip-back headstock is going to have lower string tension also
good luck, post a pic

ehhh, could you clarify your comment about string tension being related to headstock angle ?
I cannot understand why it would make a difference, because the string tension should be identical in order that the pitch of the string is the same (assuming same gauge strings and scale length)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back