guitar advice
Jun 21, 2004 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

USAstrat

100+ Head-Fier
hi i am new so sorry if these are bad questions. i play electric guitar and want to be able to play it through headphones. i will use a 1watt mini marshall guitar amp. however ...

1. i have sony behind the neck headphones and am getting mx400s. would these be okay or do i need some better ones?
2. the plug on my headfones are 1/8 inch but the jack on the amp is 1/4 inch. so i need an adapter. which one of these do i need?
i know what size but do i need the mono version or the stereo one? also, do i need gold plating? what does it do? if none of these are the right one, could you please tell me which one to get? thanks and sorry if this is a lot of work

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi!

1. Is this strictly for guitar use only? And what's your budget?
2.You need the 1/8 -> 1/4 converter, which is the thicker ones. Like the 1st, 3rd, 4th...etc.

Jun 21, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 6
i would like to not have to buy any more headphones but i will if it is really necessary. i would prefer to spend under forty$, but can spend more if it is required. i would like to be able to listen to music through them, but its okay if i cant. also what exactly is wrong about the ones i have now?

can anyone here tell me if i need the stereo or mono plug, and what gold plating does?

THANKS

Jun 21, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 6
Alessandro-audio, the guys that sell the ms-1, also sell guitar amps. I don't have my guitar anymore (Fender Japanese standard strat), but the sr60s were actually nice for guitar playing. It's the only time I liked the sr60s. I'd imagine the ms-1's from Alessandro are that much better.

Jun 21, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Well, there are 3 requirements for good guitar headphones:

1.) Comfort - you shouldn't feel them at all, if possible
2.) Cord length - you should be able to move freely with your guitar
3.) Sound quality - so that playing is fun
smily_headphones1.gif

All those things come down to one headphone - the Philips SBC HP 890. Seeing that you're into music, I can bet you won't regret investing a bit more than earbuds.
Unfortunately I don't know the price of them where you live, but they're a good bang for the buck. I personally use DT531s, but those aren't available anymore.
Oh, by the way, earplugs fail through all 3 criterias
wink.gif

HP890s come with their own adaptors anyway, so you can save a bit there. If you don't want to, get the gold plated stereo jack there.

-Taurui

Users who are viewing this thread

Back