[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
Jun 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #46 of 234
Yo,

I just tried this and it does work! Wow, how can paper dampen the sound? I would thought the sound would reflect back. 

Try the thin felt I linked to in my first post, it's really thin and works great! Right now I am using thicker felt behind the driver and thinner felt in front of the driver. Really nice sound!

Quote:
Here is an update to the dampening I have done to the T1

I still felt something was dampening the sound of the HP to much. So I decided that
underneath the driver hole I would try a thinner material than the felt I was using. So
the only thing I could think of that was like the felt but thinner was two pieces of tissue
paper cut into small squares. So I taped them in the area where the felt was. And
Viola! It's not the most elegant method I know. But ultimately it's the sound that I really
care about.

I think this has gotten the siblance under contol without sacrificing the clarity of the T1.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #47 of 234
How about velvet?

Thanks for the warning on the microphonic cable, I just thought it looked nice in white, already had the three required cables in 1 (L/R/G), and it was silver plated.  Not really motivated to change copper to copper.

There are some thin pure silver or UPOCC silver cables on ebay but they only seem to come in blue.  If only I could find them in black, transparent, or white.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #48 of 234
It is amazing that such little changes make an audible difference. But I'm going to order
that felt from amazon that you posted and try it.

Quote:
Yo,

I just tried this and it does work! Wow, how can paper dampen the sound? I would thought the sound would reflect back. 

Try the thin felt I linked to in my first post, it's really thin and works great! Right now I am using thicker felt behind the driver and thinner felt in front of the driver. Really nice sound!

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #49 of 234
Ok i've just done this mod in the pattern that Matrixnobu posted tho i used 3mm thick felt not sure if that's thick enough, seems to come out at about 0.11". Either way listening now and it sure sounds different more relaxed and more airy but i'm going to give this a good listen for a while. Too much music to test out haha 
beyersmile.png

Edit: It definately has smoother treble now, sound staging and imaging seem better too. I think taming the peak allows more low level detail to come through. Need ... more ... testing!

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #50 of 234
I think the felt I used was 2mm. But all felts are different. I would experiment
with different thicknesses underneath the driver because that's where the
sound changes the most. As you can see right now I'm using two pieces of
tissue paper. Until I find a really thin felt that I can use as a permanent solution.

Quote:
Ok i've just done this mod in the pattern that Matrixnobu posted tho i used 3mm thick felt not sure if that's thick enough, seems to come out at about 0.11". Either way listening now and it sure sounds different more relaxed and more airy but i'm going to give this a good listen for a while. Too much music to test out haha 
beyersmile.png

Edit: It definately has smoother treble now, sound staging and imaging seem better too. I think taming the peak allows more low level detail to come through. Need ... more ... testing!

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #51 of 234
Yeah that's what i've noticed as well, originally i had a square of 3mm felt under the driver but now i have half a circle pushed up against the outer edge. Also i made it thinner with a stanley knife so now it's about 1.5mm thick. Didn't have much choice of felt locally but so far this is working quite nicely.

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #57 of 234
I don't know how similar they sound as I never had the DT-880 but I definately think
the T1 is much more musical with some dampening added. It got rid of the
synthetic feel it had. And the soundstage is greatly improved.

It's awesome that you can really dial it in to your liking with different thicknesses and
types of material.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #58 of 234
Yes interesting isn't it? If you pull out the stock felt on the DT880 and put a layer of thinner felt you will get a larger soundstage as well as preserving the sound. It also makes the sound more clear as I think the stock damping is too much.

Quote:
I don't know how similar they sound as I never had the DT-880 but I definately think
the T1 is much more musical with some dampening added. It got rid of the
synthetic feel it had. And the soundstage is greatly improved.

It's awesome that you can really dial it in to your liking with different thicknesses and
types of material.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #59 of 234
Hey Zombie_X,

I tried other felt that I found at micheal's. But I still prefer the setup I had before.
I was wondering you said you were using thicker felt under the driver and thinner
felt in front. But are they still going around the whole housing like you originally
posted? Or did you make the strips smaller?

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #60 of 234
Hi,

Yes I am using thinner felt in front of the driver and thicker in the back. I use the thin felt from Amazon in front of the driver, and thick felt (Super Sliders) I found at Wal-Mart, behind the driver. It's essential to use thinner felt in front of the driver as too thick of a piece will muffle and squish the sound.

Quote:
Hey Zombie_X,

I tried other felt that I found at micheal's. But I still prefer the setup I had before.
I was wondering you said you were using thicker felt under the driver and thinner
felt in front. But are they still going around the whole housing like you originally
posted? Or did you make the strips smaller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back