GS1000 vs. Edition 9
Apr 27, 2008 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

edwardsean

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I currently own the GS1000s but I wanted to get a fix on the Ultrasone Edition 9s. I've read every post I could find but am still not getting a clear picture of their comparative strengths/ weaknesses and individual sonic signatures. I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone that has had a chance to hear both. A special area of interest for me is soundstage and presentation. Thanks.

Sincerely

Edward

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 12
I think I'm becoming a Grado fan too. Could you say a bit more on their mutual sounds, esp. in terms of soundstage and presentation. It is difficult for me to imagine a more expansive sound than the GS1000s but the whole S-logic thing interests me.

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 12
I am owning both of them now. However, I think my GS1000 isn't amped properly(rudistor rpx, opera, and raptor(on coming)). For me (right now), GS1000 's midrange isn't very additive. For the edition9, even though the soundstage isn't as big as GS1000, its sound is very additive. The more I listen to the edition 9, the more I love it now(very detail, surround sound, sweet midrange, extremely good at ROCK). However, I need to seek another headphone(Sony R10???) because I am a SOUNDSTAGE, Midrange and Detail guy.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by waddragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am owning both of them now. However, I think my GS1000 isn't amped properly(rudistor rpx, opera, and raptor(on coming)). For me (right now), GS1000 's midrange isn't very additive. For the edition9, even though the soundstage isn't as big as GS1000, its sound is very additive. The more I listen to the edition 9, the more I love it now(very detail, surround sound, sweet midrange, extremely good at ROCK). However, I need to seek another headphone(Sony R10???) because I am a SOUNDSTAGE, Midrange and Detail guy.

Good impression of the UE9, the more you listen the more you will enjoy it. Check out the Yamamoto HA-02 with it if you ever get the chance. I really love the synergy between these two.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 12
Aren't the UE9 supposed to be for loud playing, and the GS1000 for low-volume playing? That actually makes comparison a bit difficult, since we often perceive loudness as a quality factor in itself when we do comparison (which is why we have these horrible loudness wars).

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 12
I tried the UE9 at a german meet 2 weeks ago. Wasn't exactly impressed, that thing just didn't sound right. All of us (7 folks in total) agreed that the UE9 wasn't our cup of tea, and also the owner wasn't too fond about it.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Or, do you mean your on a quest for the "Holy Grail" of headphones?.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, do you mean your on a quest for the "Holy Grail" of headphones?.
wink.gif

Aren't we all?
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

However, I need to seek another headphone(Sony R10???).

Markl sold his "beloved Sony MDR-R10 headphones in favor of keeping the modified Denons". How Markl modded D5000 stands against UE9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back