GS1000 Amp suggestions?
Jun 4, 2007 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mindless

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, as I plan on investing in a new system this summer (upgrading from my über computer speakers *cough*, but I own the HD600's since before), I now need some suggestions on a amp to go with the GS1000.

Budget: $1000

I've talked to Drew at Moon Audio regarding the headphones and I plan to buy them with the Silver Dragon cable (he recommended it over the Black Dragon for my music taste, which is mostly rock and stuff leaning towards metal, but classic works aswell). Anyway. I've been looking at the PPX3-SLAM, MPX3, X-Can V3 and the Corda OPERA.

I'm mainly interested in tubes though since we already have a solid state amp in the house (Harmony Design Ear90, Swedish amp) and by tuberolling I can create my own prefered sound.

The PPX3-SLAM or X-Can V3 would be the economic choice, as they are both quite cheap and from what I've read, good bang for the buck. The MPX3 looks interesting too and it seems like a really great amp, Drew also recommended this one for use with the GS1000.

Then we have the Corda OPERA. This one was mainly interesting because of it's built in DAC and digital-in and because Meier is based in the EU, which saves me alot of hassle if something should break in the amp.

As I don't have the possibility to test the headphones nor the amps in question, I'll pretty much be buying the pig in the sack, not knowing what I'll get so I'll have to base my decision on the comments made here.

Oh, and if you have a good source in the $500-1000 range, let me know. I've been looking at the NAD C542 and some others but I really haven't decided yet.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 13
Any other thoughts / suggestions? Not to sound ungreatful or anything but that's just really, really vague...
blink.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 13
Melos SHA-1 or Gold version of it. Not in production anymore
frown.gif

The other one RA-1 from Grado. Here they call them the budget one.

Extreme been described as the best bite so far, I think, but the costs of it are the same as the name EXTREME
tongue.gif

I can say that my Aspen are pretty good with them as well. Can not say on which level, cos didn’t hear it with the others. I am looking for a bite for Melos and hoping to compare it with Aspen to hear the difference, if their any of it.

Good luck.

ps I found Musical Fidelity X3 not good with GS1 at all, stock one I mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other thoughts / suggestions? Not to sound ungreatful or anything but that's just really, really vague...
blink.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 13
I used to have a PPX3 Slam with my PS-1's and tried a small variety of tube combos. I think the PS-1's probably have more in common witht he GS-1000 than most other cans I've heard so I would strongly recommend the PPX3 Slam with Hytron 1951 6SN7GT and Sylvania Gold Pin 5687's or Tung Sol D-getter. That should be a pretty awesome combo with those cans. You may also want to consider going balanced... I'm sure Mikhail could make you a balanced PPX3 Slam
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

What's the difference between the standard Melos SHA-1 and the Gold?

I beleive the "gold" has seperate cuircuit boards for the preamp while the "sha" has one. Also, the gold has more input/output options... oh and the price.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 13
nikongod has both Melos versions and he said that the SHA-Gold is a bit better than the SHA-1 but it's also more expensive and I dig the look of the SHA-1 even more so than the Gold. I'm so excited to get one. A maestrobated one should be the way to go... hey, even John Grado use some Melos stuff.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 13
The HeadRoom Desktop is solid state, but I like it with the GSK -- moreso than with the HD650 and K701, which are HR's in-house choices for best synergy. One reason the GSK works well with HR's SS, IMHO, is that it's already pretty warm and liquid -- attributes that we usually associate with tubes. Thus, with the SS, it gains in clarity and definition.

You could get a pretty good HRD combo for $1K, but going with the Max Module and Max DAC would be preferable. That would up the cost to $14K, but the value is worth the extra.

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 13
Alright, thanks everyone.

Currently I'm looking at the PPX3-SLAM and MPX3 (aswell as the EXTREME). But looking at the differences between the SLAM and MPX3, cosmetically speaking, I noticed a few things. One, the SLAM dosen't have the Neutrik headphone jack, while the MPX3 does, which in the price listings costs $99 to add on the SLAM, making it a $899 amplifier. Then we have the big power supply capacitors on the MPX3 wich the SLAM dosen't have and I'm sure thoes cost a bit too. Couldn't you say that the MPX3 would be more economic, if it on top of this has higher quality internal components?

feifan your recommending me the Desktop also got me interested in that one. Any idea how the balanced one preforms?

I also remembered Gilmore's amps, was interested in thoes years ago. Any idea how the GS-1 preforms?

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

feifan your recommending me the Desktop also got me interested in that one. Any idea how the balanced one preforms?

I also remembered Gilmore's amps, was interested in thoes years ago. Any idea how the GS-1 preforms?

I can't speak for the GS-1 (or GS-X), but everything I've heard is very positive. Re the HRD-Balanced -- just got it a few weeks ago. I got the package -- maxed out balanced amp+DAC and balanced HD650 -- and have to say that it's a whole new dimension. If you're able to reconsider your budget, I'd say go the distance with a balanced rig such as the HRD-B package. For $2K, the HRD-B gives you everything you need to plug 'n' play. I'm keeping my unbalanced HRD rig for my SE cans so I can see the difference between unbalanced and balanced. The latter: vaster soundstage, livelier, quicker; deep but punchier bass; separated and distinct midrange that soars; much more dynamic crossfeed; analytical and warm/liquid at the same time.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 13
Really wish I could go all the way and buy a balanced system straight through, unfortunately, I doubt I can spend any more than $2500-3000 on the complete system, of which $1225 is headphones, $500-1000 on a CD player, $800-1000 on a amplifier and then some decent interconnects from Nordost, so I can't really stretch my budget too far. I got other stuff I want to buy this summer too.
evil_smiley.gif
(a camera to take pictures of the system for example)

And I wasn't really high on the thought of getting another solid state amp for the house. My brother already owns one (cost about $700) so I was kind of interested in hearing what a tube amplifier sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back