GS-X worth it for single ended use?
Feb 14, 2007 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LeChuck

500+ Head-Fier
I love my Woo4, but after much consideration I have decided that my heart lies in the razor sharp world of solid sate, and I also just don't like messing with tubes.

I have been mulling over various solid state amp options; most notably the Headamp GS-X and the Rudistor RPX-33. I feel like that with the GS-X I would be wasting money on balanced architecture that could have otherwise been spent on a better single-ended architecture, hence my interest in the Rudistor. I am under the impression that without going balanced, the GS-X is just a glorified GS-1, which isn't how I want to spend $1800.

I have considered going balanced by getting a Stello DA220 and a balanced cable, but I'm not sure I want to take that plunge just yet, unless it's the next logical step.

Essentially my question is what are my single-ended solid state options in the ~$2000 (I'd like to keep it under $2500) amplifier prince range for powering a pair of HD 650's.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 12
You can get a Dynamight. In terms of warmth and detail and slam:

Dynamight > Dynahi > Dynamid > Dynalo w/dedicated PSU > Dynalo w/wallwart

There really is a noticeable difference.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 12
Well you already have listed two of the big ones, the Rudistor and the Headamp GSX. You also have the new Headroom Desktop (which you can also the DAC modeuls to (and keep in under 2k). You can also get something like a Lavry and use the balanced outs out of that as well

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 12
I'd go for balancing the HD650s. They're reputedly scale so incredibly well when balanced, and the pair I heard off a Headroom Balanced Home were pretty amazing.

At the Florida meet where the Headroom Desktop Balanced was debuted, many prefered the balanced Home modules to a single-ended Max module Desktop. Granted, this may be a far closer comparison between single-ended designs, but it seems worth it to give up a little bit of single-ended refinement to reap the benefits of balanced drive.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
You can get a Dynamight.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Dynamight, but they seem elusive, especially these days. Other than the occasional times they come up on the for-sale forum, I have no idea where to get one.

This is something I'd like to look into. Who builds them?

Quote:

You also have the new Headroom Desktop

I looked at the Headroom Desktop with the Max modules, but I don't know much about it. I'll have to read more impressions.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 12
If you really like the HD650 sound signature and want a solid-state amp, I think the GSX with a good balanced source will be close to the best you can get for sound. Of course there is also the dynamite, which has a warmer sound, but is more expensive, harder to get, and produces an insane amount of heat (my main reason for ditching the dynahi). Both sound better than some other balanced amps I've heard (Headroom Max balanced, Singlepower PPX3-XLR, and a balanced M3 come to mind), and at least as good as some others (RSA B52). If you are staying single-ended, I would go for the GS1 instead of the GSX. The only benefit to the GSX for single-ended headphones is having a seperate power supply for each channel, and speaking from the amp I own, that difference isn't worth double the cost.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 12
Do not forget about the new modules, which can possibly one up the even the Dynamight.

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Why not go balanced? Especially with HD 650, nothing irreversible would happen.

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 12
I'd try emailing or calling him to find out. He only updates his website when he's not busy filling orders, and it seems he's had a lot of business lately
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do not forget about the new modules, which can possibly one up the even the Dynamight.

I bought GS-X in last years and still waiting the new modules
600smile.gif

by the way, anyone know when will the new modules launch?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back