Group Buy for full ATX Linear PSU from Teradak
Dec 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #31 of 46
The majority of buyers and posts are happening in the computeraudiophile.com version of this Group Buy. So for any interested party to stay up to date I recommend keeping an eye on that one. Find it here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/group-buy-full-atx-linear-power-supply-unit-teradak-21810/index9.html#post375860

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #32 of 46
Update:

Hey guys, here's some good news. Teradak has finished assembling the first few units and they'll begin shipping in the next several days. From here on units will be completed and shipped on an on-going basis until the entire Tier 1 order has been fulfilled. 

Teradak will send you your tracking numbers through PayPal, so that's when you'll know your unit(s) has been shipped. I don't know what order the units will be produced, so just hold tight and wait for your confirmation to arrive. I'm waiting to find out when they believe all of Tier 1 will be finished; so when I find out I'll let you know that you should receive your unit based on that final date.

Here are the final production unit pictures. They have changed the power switch to solid black with a small red LED. They have confirmed this is just a colour change and is the same and just as reliable as their original red one. Your unit will look like this, with the appropriate transformer size and voltage.

Finally, Teradak also told me that they have further improved their regulators and this is what lead to the wrong boards being shipped to them. So the units that we'll be receiving are in fact better than what we agreed to buy. They're also more expensive than originally and the regular production units will reflect this increase in quality and cost. Lucky us :-D

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #33 of 46
There were 2 other questions over on CA about some parts of the PSU. 

1. Does the +5VSB and the +5V rail EACH have a it's OWN regulator, separate from the other?

Yes, each one has it's own regulator.

2. On the back there is a separate "5V" 2-pin DIN connector; is it the +5VSB that we asked for?

The separate +5V on the back is indeed the extra connection for the +5VSB that we asked for.

Teradak believed it was better to have it here and not as just an extra lead off an internal wire because not everyone will be able to fit their batteries or chargers units inside their chassis. Especially if you're running larger units like car batteries.

And if you can attach internally, you can just run the cable beside the umbilical, throw a few zip-ties on, and put it through a slot in the back of your chassis.

I thought their solution was very considerate and much more thorough and costly than I was imagining. I appreciate what they've done.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #34 of 46
**Need phone number from all buyers**

Hey guys, it looks like I forgot to specify that I need everyone's telephone number. I know it's the holidays, but send this to me ASAP as Teradak is going to start shipping out units and they can't ship without your phone number.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #36 of 46
  These look nice. Never heard of these before now.

There's only like 3 companies that I know of that make them, and the Teradak is the only readily available and not ~$5000 one. At the Group Buy prices they became a steal, especially plus our special features like the colour. 

You should be seeing quite a few of these Teradak ones in the wild soon, though. There were ~40 units in Tier 1 about about 15 in Tier 2, so the reviews, or at least gear pictures, should start rolling in. I'm really excited to get mine, just gotta get my system together too.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #37 of 46
+5VSB Info Update:

I was talking with Teradak about the +5VSB that we have on our units and they gave me some new info. 

The extra outlet you see on the back will have another 1M umbilical. You could run the regular umbilical and the +5VSB beside each other if you wanted, or point it somewhere else, but that's your length. The +5VSB umbilical is terminated in 2-pin, as you see on the case, and 4-pin Molex. Then from here you will get your option (A) 3x SATA or Option (B) 2x SATA + 1x MOLEX cable to connect.

The front power switch is for the entire PSU, +5VSB included. It functions just like power switches you find on other ATX PSUs in that 99% of the time the unit functions passively, lead by the on/off and demand of the connected computer. Then on occasion when you need to turn it all off or all on, you can use the front mounted power switch.

As for powering things, Teradak wanted me to make this clear. The +5VSB is not a bundled, separate PSUthat they're throwing in because they're cool. The +5VSB rail has it's own role in the standard ATX PSU, though very limited in scope, and this connection on our units is a special addition beyond what the PSUs were meant for. 

It is theoretically possible to do what we want with it as the +5VSB isn't used for anything demanding, but you shouldn't treat it like a test bench for whatever you can dream up either. They recommend testing the capabilities of the +5VSB with your imagined application when the computer is turned off first, to make sure that it can do what you need. You can venture further from there, but if you blow the fuse or burn up the regulator because you used it to power too many things and not something it was designed for, that's going to be on you. 

They have tested the units and they work for what we discussed(trickle charger with it's own current limiter or powering a couple SSDs or powering a USB card, all up to 2A), but there was only limited testing and you need to keep in mind the above precautions and guidelines. 

So basically, have fun, enjoy the addition, but be careful, don't be stupid, and don't break your beautiful custom made PSU!

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #38 of 46
Update:

Teradak has shipped roughly 5 units from our Group Buy and 30 others sit fully assembled in their factory awaiting shipment. As of Friday last week shipments have been suspended as one of our Buyers reported a potential technical issue with his PSU. Teradak is working together with the buyer now to find the cause and solution for the problem, and I am in constant communication with both of them. 

There isn't any clear information right now indicating what the cause of the problem is and whether any other unit is affected by it. Teradak has said that 100% of products exiting their factory are tested and 100% are run in for 24-48hours to confirm operation and stability. To date they have not experienced the buyer's problem with any of the ~30 PSUs and they have never received a report of such a problem from any of the other ATX Supply purchases.

Teradak said they expect to have the problem solved within the next 7 days and resume shipment. That is of course pending they do not find any systemic technical issue with their PSUs. If that does turn out to be the case they will need time to correct and retrofit the completed supplies with whatever the solution is. I will keep you all updated as we find the cause of the problem and the solution.

As for PayPal, 
the shipping update will come via email. When Teradak updates the transaction information with the tracking number(s) the system will automatically send out an email notification to the buyer. 
The email will look just like this one:

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #39 of 46
Delayed Communication:

Hey guys, as many of you know I now live in China, but right now my wedding is going on and all of my family from Canada is here in China. Chinese weddings are overwhelming and over the top, so I haven't been in regular communication with anyone for about 1 week. I will effectively be occupied and away until Feb. 9th, so during this time I won;t be answering emails or PMs. I thank all of you in your understanding about this and will take care of everything when I return.

I do know that the new parts for the possible solution have been mailed to the buyer and will be installed soon. After that we'll hear back and see if the problem was the problem and if the fix was the fix. Assembly has been cruising along and more or less all units are prepared for shipment, we just need to see what happens from the problem unit. I'll let you guys know.

See you all later.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #40 of 46
I'm back now, but everyone should read from this post forward on the CA thread. It'll bring you all up to speed on what happened with the PSUs, the fix, and the newest mod, and shipping details. 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/group-buy-full-atx-linear-power-supply-unit-teradak-21810/index12.html#post391207

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #41 of 46
Communication and Chinese New Year Update:

Tier 2 people. 
I just heard back from Teradak and they're going to discuss everything about how they plan to approach Tier 2, shipping costs, timelines, and whatever else after they return from Chinese New Year vacation around March 20th

Tier 1 people. 
No worries, Teradak said they'd ship out all Tier 1 PSUs before Chinese New Year vacation starts on February 18th. 

Everyone, 
Teradak WILL NOT be reachable from Feb. 18th to March 20th. I mean like ZERO. Their office is closing, all their staff are going back to their respective home provinces; it'll be a ghost town. Imagine the places they're going to, like the Mongolian and Tibetan Alps... I'm not kidding, there will be a complete communication hiatus until March 20th. This, however, is par for the course in China and totally normal. They only get one real good holiday a year, and this is it. Come March 20th they'll be right back in action and continue on for another year in their multi-year company history.

Don't forget, there has never been an audio emergency :wink:

If you do really need Teradak:
If you do have something to discuss with them in that time frame, just write it down and PM on March 20th. Don't PM me right away because it's a month away and I WILL misplace and forget about it. You could also try posting something in the thread if you think someone can assist you with advice, but don't ask for something you need an answer from Teradak on until March 20th.

Speaking of community advice, everyone here really is top notch and I have learned a TON of SH**T along the way. If you've got a conundrum, there's a near 100% chance someone's got an answer for you, as long as you're not looking for it to come from Teradak until March 20th :p

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #42 of 46
quote_icon.png
 Originally Posted by MrSprout 

Thanks Ben, I've added a note to my diary and I'll email about the unit after they get back. Can you please PM me the best email address to use as I've seen several floating around

After I resolve the last 2 units shipping I'll relinquish my strangle hold on communication for the Group Buy :p But trust me, I do that with great sadness as I have loved hording questions and concerns for the past 6 months and emailing Michael at all hours of the night and day. I am sure he has come to fear my email address and is just waiting to block it. In fact, I wonder if they're really on holiday at all... It seems to have come just when more or less all the units have shipped... hahaha.

The 2 addresses you guys can use from now on for all warranty, trouble shooting, and whatever you need to contact teradak for are:
teradak@teradak.com
teradak888@hotmail.com

I generally use the hotmail one. Teradak and their engineering department have been great and have taken great care with all the issues I've brought to them. I've got confidence if any problems do arise.

I would say though, this group is damn good at helping and trouble shooting anyway, so if I were a concerned buyer I'd be firing my questions in here and working with people here first. ~50 people's thinking ability, experiences, and response time vs. 1. (see the recent action over on the CA thread; http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/group-buy-full-atx-linear-power-supply-unit-teradak-21810/index15.html#post396430 )

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #43 of 46
My friend has two brand new unopened Teradak Linear ATX PSU 210 and ATX 275. He got them through this group buy. However, he has sold his music server before getting the Teradak PSU. So, he doesn't have any use for them anymore.

He's in USA. Please send him an email if you are interested in purchasing the Teradak PSU: shawbros3@yahoo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back