Grilling Tips and Tricks
Feb 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

JxK

1000+ Head-Fier
Since winter will soon be ending, we can all look forward to more quality time spent in front of the grill. I propose that we headfiers post our favorite grilling tips and tricks to help improve our grilling skills.

I'll start with burgers:
1) Never season the ground beef through and through. You end up with a meat loaf burger. Instead, just season the outside heavily, helps to keep the juices in and just tastes better.

2) Never keep depressing a burger on the grill because it keeps rising. This just squeezes out all the fat and juices. Instead, when you first form your patty depress it in the middle so you get something that resembles a donut. That way when it rises it will rise into a normal shape when finished.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 19
never cook on flames, otherwise youll just burn the food.

Don't cook chicken drumsticks on a bbq for the same reason (they wont cook, they will be burnt on the outside and raw on the inside) unless you finish them off for the last ten minutes only to impart a bit of bbq flavour.

Gas bbq'ing ISN'T bbq'ing, period, fact, full stop.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 19
1) I don't see any reason why the juices would stay in better if you just season the outside of the burger. Seasoning all the way through would give a more even and balanced flavor (in my perspective).

2) Sounds reasonable, but I would concider the option of putting a weight on the burger straight away, instead of constantly 'pumping' the burger, that should work fine.

Remember that when grilling, certain meats require to be pre-cooked (ribs and other not-so-tender parts), nothing wrong with cooking a meat a day before then roasting it on the grill, while getting that nice smokey and grilled flavor. I personally do not recommend very lean meats for grilling (tenderloins of any kind really) since they do not have enough fat and tend to loose juiciness during grilling, this of course entire depends on the quality and amount of marbling in the meat.

EDIT: Don't forget to grill some veggies aswell!

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember that when grilling, certain meats require to be pre-cooked (ribs and other not-so-tender parts), nothing wrong with cooking a meat a day before then roasting it on the grill, while getting that nice smokey and grilled flavor. I personally do not recommend very lean meats for grilling (tenderloins of any kind really) since they do not have enough fat and tend to loose juiciness during grilling, this of course entire depends on the quality and amount of marbling in the meat.

EDIT: Don't forget to grill some veggies aswell!

Pre-cooking ribs is pure blasphemy
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bbq debate could get as ugly as p******s vs c*****s.

Shhhhhh, be quiet about that!
Thats taboo here!
eek.gif

I hope the P****** king himself (kirosia) didnt hear you!
ph34r.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 19
I just got a Big Boss Grill.
https://www.bigbossgrill.com/Default.asp

I know its not a BBQ , but its holding me over till spring.
Has 6 interchangeable plate sets for grilling, waffles,pancakes, donuts, pannini, sandwiches etc.

Fun piece of kit anyway.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 19
There are some advantages to living in Mexico. To heck with waiting this was last weeks bbq. I save the grilling for those chilly winter nights it gets down to 50. :lol

02202010898.jpg

As for grilling I have at least one tip for now. I take a whole chicken and quater then rub with cajun spices (whatever is at the grocery store) and put on a medium high grill. Let it char on both sides turn the heat down slightly. Then every couple minutes sprinkle a nice ale or lager over the chicken. Making sure to close the lid quickly to capture the steam. Turns our a lovely moist and flavorful chicken.

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 19
^I never tried any sort of ale or lager when grilling. What sort do you use?

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some advantages to living in Mexico. To heck with waiting this was last weeks bbq. I save the grilling for those chilly winter nights it gets down to 50. :lol

02202010898.jpg

As for grilling I have at least one tip for now. I take a whole chicken and quater then rub with cajun spices (whatever is at the grocery store) and put on a medium high grill. Let it char on both sides turn the heat down slightly. Then every couple minutes sprinkle a nice ale or lager over the chicken. Making sure to close the lid quickly to capture the steam. Turns our a lovely moist and flavorful chicken.

Oh i hate you...lol.
Those sausages look so good and now im craving them.
I dont want to hear any complaining if i show up at your door!!!
You better have sausages ready!!!
ph34r.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I never tried any sort of ale or lager when grilling. What sort do you use?

Whatever is cheap and something I probably wouldn't drink.
tongue.gif
I have used everything from Alaskan Amber (which I do drink, ah well) but mostly Dos Equis, Negro Modello, Modello Especiale, Bud, Coors etc. A light or pale lager gives no taste just keeps the meat moist a darker ale will provide a nice taste and moisture. I prefer ambers for this purpose and they tend to be the perfect beer type. Just don't use a stout it will clash with your spice mixture, or at least my mixture it does.

And of course to go along with this is of course beer can chicken. You can buy racks on the internet if you look for beer can chicken rack. But the easy way is just use a tall boy can of beer, again cheap. Shove it where the sun don't shine on a whole chicken, minus the gizards etc. Spice to your like and stand the whole chicken up on the grill using the beer can. Medium Low heat and an hour or so later perfect pulled chicken awaits.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 19
Some of my tips:
* Wait for the grill to heat up properly.
* Buy enough meat.
* Plenty of beer for the chief.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never cook on flames, otherwise youll just burn the food.

Don't cook chicken drumsticks on a bbq for the same reason (they wont cook, they will be burnt on the outside and raw on the inside) unless you finish them off for the last ten minutes only to impart a bit of bbq flavour.

Gas bbq'ing ISN'T bbq'ing, period, fact, full stop.

BBQ is slow cooking, not to be confused with grilling. Charcoal vs. gas has nothing to do with it. We're talking about grilling here.

When cooking meat, oil the hot grate with a paper towel soaked in cooking oil. Also, use a teaspoon or so of oil on each side of the meat. This will prevent sticking and help to get the nice grill marks.

Make sure the grill is HOT. Heat a gas grill on high for 10-15 minutes.

Salt steaks a few hours ahead of time (four hours is good.) Use kosher or sea salt - regular table salt just melts and turns ugly. Salting the meat in advance allows the salt to penetrate the meat, but it takes at least 3-4 hours for the juices to dissolve the salt and be reabsorbed by the meat.

Soy marinades are good for tenderizing meat, as well as adding beefy flavor.

Grilled veggies are a great side dish. Oil the veggies to prevent sticking and enhance browning.

Grilled fruit is good for dessert. Try grilling fresh pineapple slices or wedges.

I cook raw chicken on the grill all the time. The trick is to sear it quickly on both sides, and then reduce the heat to medium until done. Properly done, you can have crispy skin and tender, juicy meat. If the outside is burned and the inside raw, you're doing it wrong!

And it's called a grill, not a BBQ.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 19
Oh also. I have a spray bottle I bought at the hardware store filled with 80% veg oil 20% water. I use it to grease the grill or whatever might go on the grill if needed. It can also be used to get a nice flame jump to add that little extra searing or charring to whatever you are cooking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back