Greetings, Rock It R-50, Yamaha EPH-100SL, JVC HA-FXT90, VSonic GR07 or HifiMan Re-400?
Aug 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Svoloch

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I am in the market for a decent IEM, I really do not like the intrusiveness of IEMs but I will do my best to adjust to the discomfort as there is no substitute for the portability and quality of sound. I listen to a lot of EDM but also enjoy the occasional classic, jazz, rock, and much more. I do love my bass, I currently have the Hifi ordered on Amazon, but would like some input if their bass would be lacking for me. The Yamaha's look very tempting but the 20-20k range put me off a little bit, I know that is our hearing range but I still believe there is a difference in how things are presented with a different hertz range.

Suggestions please? Clear, deep, distinguishable bass is a very big deal for me as comes natural with any EDM music.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 13
I think you should go for EPH-100, they might give you the right bass for EDM and do other genres about right. GR07 should be a more "safe" choice since they are balanced, then RE400 if you dont want to pay that much on GR07/EPH100 (At least 1 person will join this thread and recommend you the RE-400, so expect that). FXT90 can be a bit too bright and aggressive, though I would recommend it too if you are not sensitive to treble want something more engaging (the other IEMs are quite laid-back and smooth compared to this one). Haven't reseach R50 so no comments
And don't buy into that "frequency range" crap printed on the package, they are meaningless and tell you nothing about the headphones/earphones

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
I think you should go for EPH-100, they might give you the right bass for EDM and do other genres about right. GR07 should be a more "safe" choice since they are balanced, then RE400 if you dont want to pay that much on GR07/EPH100 (At least 1 person will join this thread and recommend you the RE-400, so expect that). FXT90 can be a bit too bright and aggressive, though I would recommend it too if you are not sensitive to treble want something more engaging (the other IEMs are quite laid-back and smooth compared to this one). Haven't reseach R50 so no comments
And don't buy into that "frequency range" crap printed on the package, they are meaningless and tell you nothing about the headphones/earphone

I'm interested in the bass lows on the GR07 compared to the EPH-100, would you happen to know more about that and how they differ in that aspect?

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 13
I would eliminate the R-50s from your list unless you know you like a neutral bass response in comparison to the mids and highs. Many people that like bass would find them bass light.

And I agree. Don't put too much into comparing frequency responses. What manufacturers say and how they compare to other headphones/IEMs are two different things.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 13
Purchased the EPH-100s, thanks everyone for replies. Was really curious what the GR07 had to offer but I really think the EPH will go above and beyond for EDM over GR07. I just hope they are not painful to wear or uncomfortable. Also read some cable issues in the long term with durability, hope that is not the case.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 13
Wow, got them quicker than expected considering a tracking number wasn't even provided. I'll update this as I break these things in and play around with EQ settings and other music genres.

First impressions of fit:

I am VERY, VERY picky about what goes in my ear and how it stays and intrudes. Saying that, I had to downgrade to a smaller size earbud, my left ear also has partly damaged cartilage so it is even pickier than my other and these headphones fit GREAT. Amazing isolation and not intrusive and rather feel snug inside the ear without the feeling of much pressure. Will update after longer sessions.

Sound:

Bass sounds amazing but there is great sibilance from my perspective on a few songs. Not an ear shattering amount as with my Sennheiser Amperiors, but still more than I would like. Breaking in my Amperiors improved their sound immensely and fixed the over sibilance issue so I am hoping a break in of these will have the same effect. Update on this later.

Build:

Very solid build, feels sturdy even being rather forceful when putting on the smallest size buds. Time will test the cord. I do worry that the ear wax will eventually penetrate through the mesh. I do not know how everyone here keeps the wax from ever getting on the mesh or how effective cleaning it is. I try to wipe it clean every time but that might become a rather large hassle depending on how much time and effort it will require.

Overall:

So far extremely pleased. If they improve in the way my Amperiors did then I will be blown away and stupefied by their performance.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 13
I have swapped to using the Sansa Clip+, from using the ipod classic (apparently non wolfson chip version) and have been adjusting to the switch in media player as well as the switch to these IEMs around exactly the same time. Give me this weekend and I will broaden the genres I test these out with as well as try and address some of the issues these IEMs have, the sibilance. Part of my immediate fix so far as I listen to these to and from work has been to adjust the EQ in the Clip+ and switch back to using my E11 amp with the Clip+ and putting the bass boost to the max on the amp.

As of right now, I can tell you up front that if you get these IEMs, tweaking will probably most certainly be required especially if you are sibilance sensitive and/or a bit on the basshead side. Swapping to an amp with bassboost improved my impressions of these by a good margin. Again, I will swap my music collection around over this weekend as well as swap between my ipod and Sennheiser Amperiors to give a better comparison and better impression of what to expect and what improved the sound for me.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 13
No, not yet, I was looking into rockboxing my ipod but once i saw that the clip has an EQ I did not end up going through with it. If it offers such a wider range of frequency customization as you say then I will indeed do that this weekend as well, just have not really set aside the time for all this, but will certainly do so once I am home from work today or tomorrow.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 13
Interesting discussion. May I ask anyone to recommend some model for jazz? (Source: iBasso DX50)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back