Greek Gods and Hi-Fi
Jun 21, 2011 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

tinyman392

Be nice to noobs, we were all noobs at one point in our life.
We've seen a lot of DUNU threads lately, and this is another one.  This one is not a full review (nor is it meant to be), more of a nice link to the naming system used by DUNU (and a mythology lesson :p).  This is in no way 100% accurate, nor has it been confirmed by DUNU (hopefully Rocky/DUNU can confirm this is true).  If it is true, they have a really clever way of naming their headphones.

Here are the five pairs of headphones DUNU currently offers:
  • Hephaes
  • Ares
  • Crius
  • Trident
  • Hades (not part of the DN series)

I cannot comment on the Hades, but the rest of them, I've had for a little while and they haven't fully burned in, but they seem to be heading towards a certain type of sound, as I'll soon explain.  Let's start with Hephaes

Hephaes
  1. Derived from Hephaestus...  God of of fire, metalworking, stonemasonry, sculpture and volcanism (Wikipedia).  This describes the sound of the Hephaes perfectly, really warm, booming, and taunting with some detail (sculpture) to make out what it's supposed to sound like.  Along with that comes some brightness from the metal working and volcanoes (they "glow" a reddish color; they aren't as bright though, just a little).  The main story here is the fire, and volcanism (boom/bang in the bass).  To add to it, the dang thing has flames on the headphones, so it would explain much too!

Ares
  1. God of war, bloodlust, violence, manly courage, and civil order.  The god of war and bloodlust, this makes them a little darker, but not too dark as war isn't all dark, it is also very bright indeed.  Civil order = voice = mids (Ares has amazing mids).  Manly courage = more powerful/warmer nature (of the headphones).

Crius
  1. AKA Krios, Crius, or Kreios.  This was the hardest god to find research on, partly because he isn't a god.  He is the father of Astraios, Pallas and Perses.  Astraios is the sky, stars, sun and moon, all bright and detailed in nature.  Showing off why the headphones have much detail in it's nature.  Perses is the god of destruction, which is the reason why it's brighter, destruction is loud and high sounding (not low and booming like war-drums).  Pallas on the otherhand is the god of war.  If you listen to the bass of the headphones, you'll notice they are tight and impactful, kinda' like the sound of a drumline in war, the deep boom...  Boom....  Boom...  He is rent less, which shows off his brightness.  I don't know why he's so detailed though.

Trident
  1. Poseidon's weapon of choice.  "God of the sea, rivers, floods, droughts, storms, earthquakes, and the creator of horses; known as the "Earth Shaker" or "Storm Bringer"."  He is the god of seas, rivers, floods, anything that deals with water...  Water flows, so the signature of choice is definitely smooth.  He is the god of earthquakes that are really low, and powerful, thus giving the Trident powerful and deep lows.  The storm bringer part is high (storms happen high in the sky) and lightning is bright (forced brightness if I may say so), giving it a brightness that is a little harsh, forced in a way. 

Hades
  1. Haven't heard this myself, so I can't comment on what they actually sound like, THIS IS WHAT I THINK THEY SOUND LIKE: Darker, booming since Hades is the god of the underworld.  Hades is also the god of hidden wealth, so there is something hidden (special about these) that will come as a surprise (IDK what, I haven't heard the 'phones).  Since the Screech Owl was sacred to Hades, I would assume that the Hades have harsher (not harsh) highs (similar to Tridents?).  I would come to guess the mids are recessed, and they are in no way bright, but do have more emphasized highs (creating a V/U-shape to their signature).  AGAIN, ALL OF THIS IS A GUESS BASED ON HADES' NATURE!

As shown above, DUNU didn't just name the headphones with some random Greek/Roman God/Goddess (no Goddesses yet), the name of the god entales something about the sound signature of the headphones themselves.  I hope you all enjoyed the small read and look into Greek/Roman mythology.  I don't know how much of this is actually planned, or if it's just a coincidence (I hope it was intentional).  DUNU really has a nice way of naming these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back