Great reviews, yet low volume...portapro question
Oct 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

LoKii

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

This question lead me to join the forum after a period of lurking.

I am a complete novice to high(er) end audio,and am restricted by both ignorance and budget. I have only recently discovered the wonders of lossless audio codecs and by those means am realising the value of good hardware.

Being used to (what I thought were) good quality yet affordable headphones such as the Pioneer  SE-CL21Ms and the Skullcandy Hesh.

From both of these I got very good volume from different devices such as laptops, mp3 players and smartphones.

Having given away my Skullcandy to my ex, I wa looking for a replacement and soon settled on the Koss Portapro. I liked it because of it´s geek-chique looks, and subsequently because reviews of it online were good, some even comparing it´s sound to that of electrostatic headphones!

Anyhoo...now I have them, and they DO look awesome! The sound is really quite good, yet they are really lacking in volume. Attached to my mp3 player they sound about 30% as loud as either of my previous pairs. Hooked up to my Creative 2.0 set with the volume maxxed out they get close to what I am used to from my mp3 player.

Why is this?

I know I will have to get a cmoy or similar to get the volume I need but i am genuinly interested in the science behind my issue.

Also, if anyone is willing to build and ship a cmoy to the Netherlands for me, I would be interested in your price!
wink.gif

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back