Great DAC/Headphone Combo
Nov 23, 2016 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

LinuxForYou

New Head-Fier
Hi, everyone, this is my first post on the forums I hope to hang out here quite a bit. Anyways I've been looking into picking up some headphones for around $150-$200 for music listening. In the past, I tried the Sennheiser HD 558's and the AKG K545's; however, I felt neither had enough bass. The AKG's sound quality in terms of mids and highs was spectacular, but it wasn't fitting my needs as I listen to a lot of EDM. Doing a lot of research the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm variant sounds ideal for my needs, but I would love to hear other suggestions. As for the DAC, I'm looking for something to power the pair of headphones I decide on, as well as to provide a boost in quality. I was hoping to spend around $100 on the DAC and I left a few options below. Any advice or suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Options:
1.) Fiio E17K Alpen 2

2.) Schiit Fulla

3.) Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 or Dragonfly Black

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 2
  Hi, everyone, this is my first post on the forums I hope to hang out here quite a bit. Anyways I've been looking into picking up some headphones for around $150-$200 for music listening. In the past, I tried the Sennheiser HD 558's and the AKG K545's; however, I felt neither had enough bass. The AKG's sound quality in terms of mids and highs was spectacular, but it wasn't fitting my needs as I listen to a lot of EDM. Doing a lot of research the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm variant sounds ideal for my needs, but I would love to hear other suggestions. As for the DAC, I'm looking for something to power the pair of headphones I decide on, as well as to provide a boost in quality. I was hoping to spend around $100 on the DAC and I left a few options below. Any advice or suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Options:
1.) Fiio E17K Alpen 2

2.) Schiit Fulla

3.) Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 or Dragonfly Black

the 558 are considered bassy here, so you're looking for headphones that are basshead level. Sony X-bass lineup and some audiotechnica lineups are good start. I wouldn't look too much into DT770, as they're not as bass heavy as 558. As for DAC, it really depends on the headphone you get. If you're 300 ohm headphone, the Fulla might not be as suitable as E17k. Although I admit I haven't tried the Fulla or the Dragonfly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back