Great Conductors of the 20th Century: Bruno Walter
Mar 19, 2008 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

scompton

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got this 2 disc set and I'm listening to it right now. I really like it. I'm not a great judge of how well pieces are being played, but these versions are very pleasant. And the sound quality is remarkable for these historical recordings. Two pieces are remastered from shellacs. There's a list of what's on the CDs
  1. Beethoven: Symphony No.6 in F major, Op.68 "Pastorale" with the Wiener Philharmoniker recorded in 1936 (remastered from shellacs)
  2. Brahms: Symphony No.2 in D major, Op.73 with the New York Philharmonic recorded in 1953
  3. Mozart: Le nozze di Figaro: Overture with the British Symphony Orchestra recorded in 1932
  4. Haydn: Symphony in G major, Hob.I:92 'Oxford' with the Orchestre de la societe des Concerts du Conservatoire recorded in 1938
  5. Wagner: Die Meisersinger von Nümberg - Prelude to Act 1 with the British Symphony Orchestra recorded in 1930
  6. Wagner: Die Walküre - Act II, Scene 5 - "Zauberfest bezähmt ein Schlaf" with the Wiener Philharmoniker, Lehmann and Melchior recorded in 1935
  7. Mahler: Kindertotenlieder - I. "Nun will die Sonn' so hell aufgeh'n" with the Wiener Philharmoniker and Kathleen Ferrier recorded in 1949 (remastered from shellacs, didn't know they used shellacs in 49)
  8. Mahler: Symphony No.5 - IV. Adagietto. Sehr langsam with the Wiener Philharmoniker recorded in 1938
  9. Strauss: Die Fledermaus - Overture with the Orchestre de la societe des Concerts du Conservatoire recorded in 1938

51RHDGJ9RWL._AA240_.jpg

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 4
All but the Brahms symphony come from shellac. Walter was one of the greatest conductors of all time. I was lucky to be able to find pristine sets of records of the Walkure first act (Z shellac!) and the Mahler 5th to restore myself. There is a LOT of sound in those old grooves.

See ya
Steve

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All but the Brahms symphony come from shellac. Walter was one of the greatest conductors of all time. I was lucky to be able to find pristine sets of records of the Walkure first act (Z shellac!) and the Mahler 5th to restore myself. There is a LOT of sound in those old grooves.

See ya
Steve

The liner notes just mention the 2 peices as being remastered from shellacs. They must have used previous remasters for the others. When did they stop using shellac. I assume there was still shortages in the UK in the late 40s. I've bought quite a few of the Great Composers CDs and this is one of my favorites.

On your recommendation, I bought the Naxos Walkure. Fantastic.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 4
The last shellac record was by The Beatles (Twist & Shout?). Columbia started recording to 33 1/3 lacquers right after WW2. EMI probably didn't have good quality metal parts for those two recordings.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back