"Great" Albums you just don't "get"?
Jan 26, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #227 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most stuff by The Rolling Stones. I mean, I enjoy the Stones, have a lot of their albums and all that, but their music, for the most part, is simple, straightforward rock & roll. How they came to be mentioned in the same breath as The Beatles is mindboggling to me.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the title of this thread. I mean i like a couple (2) of their songs but the rest are just eh. I used to have a boss that obsessed with the stones and I just never could get into it. Also, another band that really doesn't do it for me is Rush. My little brother loves Rush but they're just not for me I guess. (I think it may be the vocals)

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #230 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steely Dan - Aja. I just don't get it.

Just curious, do you get other Steely albums, but specifically not Aja?

They have several great albums, Aja is the most well known mostly because of how excellent the musicians are on the album and how well it is recorded.....but all their albums up to Aja are of an extremely high standard........

When it comes to joining jazz with rock in a fashion that doesn't sacrifice the strengths of either genre, Aja is top shelf, but if it's not your thing, don't feel left out....I'm sure a ton of people dislike Aja and all of Steely Dan for that matter.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #231 of 239
I'm a prog guy and for the life of me I just can't get into the early Genesis work before they went pop. I'm not a fan of their pop either. IQ's FREQUENCY and Ozric Tentacles' CURIOUS CORN have also eluded me thus far.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #232 of 239
I like Pretzel Logic enough to listen to it a half-dozen times per year. Aja I just don't get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, do you get other Steely albums, but specifically not Aja?

They have several great albums, Aja is the most well known mostly because of how excellent the musicians are on the album and how well it is recorded.....but all their albums up to Aja are of an extremely high standard........

When it comes to joining jazz with rock in a fashion that doesn't sacrifice the strengths of either genre, Aja is top shelf, but if it's not your thing, don't feel left out....I'm sure a ton of people dislike Aja and all of Steely Dan for that matter.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #233 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a prog guy and for the life of me I just can't get into the early Genesis work before they went pop. I'm not a fan of their pop either. IQ's FREQUENCY and Ozric Tentacles' CURIOUS CORN have also eluded me thus far.

Oh man, I LOVE Peter Gabriel era Genesis.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #236 of 239
Interesting thread, problem though is how to interpret albums you don't understand. A lot of albums I have I don't get yet when I listen to these albums I'm always curious what to hear next. Most albums I have I like for different reasons. Two examples:
Positive: Joyful Rebellion by K-os, eclectic hip hop which somehow just works;
Negative: In Stereo by Bomfunk MCs, 'Freestyler' is awesome yet more than half of the album is rubbish. They have some good tunes though which their second album proves.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #237 of 239
A lot of people have told me I have to listen to Vampire Weekend, so I bought both of their albums. I don't know why, but I just don't get what the hype is. I gave them both enough of a chance to grow on me but they just didn't.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #239 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuaffiliate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slint: apparently a really important and great experimental indie band, i just dont feel it
frown.gif

You've got to be in the right mood for it. Try it when you're bummed out or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jazz: Maybe I've just never been in the right mindset to enjoy it, and I'll admit that I haven't tried too much, but I just don't get it.

YouTube - Dexter Gordon Quartet - Cheese Cake
Jazz isn't my thing either but this is definitely my favourite release

As for me, Post-Punk aside from Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. To be more specific, I've been trying to get into Gang of Four's Entertainment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back