Graphic designer with an audio dilemma: Grado sr225i or akg k172
Nov 13, 2010 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DevanF

New Head-Fier
So just last month my wife left my old cans on the ground for the dogs to eat. But out of impulse and bad insight I got the beats solo HD. They were in my price range but I was so disappointed in quality I returned them.

Now after more research I either want the Grado sr225i or akg k172

Here is what I'm looking for:
True sound
No schrill audio
A warmer tone
Good isolation for my office is the babies room
And comfort

I sit at my desk for hours designing in the night so comfort and something easier to listen to that won't fatigue my ears would be great.

I love the grados and the reviews but I think the akgs have better comfort and style.

Some one please assist me, I'm headphoneless and I'm suffering.

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 16
Lots of people found Grado rather uncomfortable and rather shrill, but then I've only heard the SR60i ones so I don't know the high-end one sounds like. Give it a try. Akg is more comfortable than Grado, but AKG K172 is an on-ear (it sit on your ear) so its maybe not so comfortable after several hours. Why don't go for full-size headphone if you want comfort? AKG 242HD is very much like 172HD, but much more comfortable. Or Sennheiser. What is your budget? What kind music you listen to? What source you gonna plug your headphone into? Will you amping them?

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 16
In my opinion comfort is even more subjective than the evaluation how a headphe sounds. I have no problems with the grado comfort and found for example my former audio technica M50 much more uncomfortable compared to my grados. So - nobody can tell you if a headphone will fit for your head: you have to try yourself... 
Even if I like the grado sound a lot I would not consider them if you want to have a good isolation. Grados are really OPEN headphones. My stereo was next to the cage with my rats and I heard them when they built their nest while I listened with my headphones...
I think you should look than more for a closed headphone. The AKG K172 or K272 MKII are not a bad start. They have a nice midrange...

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 16
Sounds like a Beyer DT150 or 770/250 would do the job!

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 16
Where your office is situated I would recommend fully closed headphones. Every headphone I have owned that is even semi-open leaks enough noise to disturb a sleeping baby!

I don't know what the AKG's you mention sound like but I used to own the K271's and for me they had similar sonic traits that you mention, fully sealed as well! Not sure if they are made any more though!

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
So just last month my wife left my old cans on the ground for the dogs to eat. But out of impulse and bad insight I got the beats solo HD. They were in my price range but I was so disappointed in quality I returned them.

Now after more research I either want the Grado sr225i or akg k172

Here is what I'm looking for:
True sound
No schrill audio
A warmer tone
Good isolation for my office is the babies room
And comfort

I sit at my desk for hours designing in the night so comfort and something easier to listen to that won't fatigue my ears would be great.

I love the grados and the reviews but I think the akgs have better comfort and style.

Some one please assist me, I'm headphoneless and I'm suffering.

as much as I love the grados sound, the details, the forward treble the quick footed but also firm bass. I must say, after less than a hour with my modded 225i's, my right ear would always feel a bit funny, guess that was the fatigue-ing highs kicking in. For long hours, you might want something with less fatiguing highs oh and also, they don't isolate..at all

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 16

What is your budget? What kind music you listen to? What source you gonna plug your headphone into? Will you amping them?

Budget: 180 - 250
I do music managing at a radio station so I listen to lots of different music.
But personally I listen to a lot of folk like Damien Rice, indie such as The Radio Dept, and just solid alternative rock
For now I'll be plugging into my MacBook
Pro but plan on getting an amp in the future. One step at a time.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 16
If I were you, then I would brought the comfort to the first place. So my choice of the cans were:

1. MDR-F1
2. Koss UR40 (sorry).
3. DT880, HD595, D2000, AD900 (any of the AD700 - AD2000 actually, depending on your head size), XB700.

For the budget and closest sound to the Grado, I would go with AD700.
For the budget and those sound "easier to listen to that won't fatigue my ears", I would go for MDR-F1 [EDITED:] used.

For the comfort and closest sound to the Grado, I would go with AD700.
For the comfort and those sound "easier to listen to that won't fatigue my ears", I would go for MDR-F1.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Some of those that were listed we a little out of my price range.

So here is what I'm thinking. 

1.Grado Sr225i 

Although I've heard so many great things about the Grado SR225i's I'm not sure they should be my first purchase in the high end world.
Reasoning why is that yah so many people say they are great, but I need something just slightly more comfortable and easy listening, but God I would love to just give them a listen. Maybe they'll be my next purchase and I'll become an Audiophile over time.

2. AKG K172 HD

A lot of people keep pushing me to the K242's but they are just out of my price range. Other than that the velvet pads, frequency range, semi closed, and warmer sound sounds good to me. SO they are still in the running.

New choices.

3. Dennon D2000

People say they are really comfortable for 3 hours, rather than compared to Grado's that say can only last an hour for comfort.
They also seem to be what I'm looking for, yet I hear are a little bass heavy, and with a lot of my indie music that is recorded to already be muffled I'm afraid the Bass will just make it very muffled.

4. Beyer DT 770 

Seem to be similar to the the Dennons, I've read though that it only sounds good at a higher volume or with a sweet ass amp, which I can't afford now either.

With those options now does any one have any input?

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Some of those that were listed we a little out of my price range.

So here is what I'm thinking. 

1.Grado Sr225i 

Although I've heard so many great things about the Grado SR225i's I'm not sure they should be my first purchase in the high end world.
Reasoning why is that yah so many people say they are great, but I need something just slightly more comfortable and easy listening, but God I would love to just give them a listen. Maybe they'll be my next purchase and I'll become an Audiophile over time.

2. AKG K172 HD

A lot of people keep pushing me to the K242's but they are just out of my price range. Other than that the velvet pads, frequency range, semi closed, and warmer sound sounds good to me. SO they are still in the running.

New choices.

3. Dennon D2000

People say they are really comfortable for 3 hours, rather than compared to Grado's that say can only last an hour for comfort.
They also seem to be what I'm looking for, yet I hear are a little bass heavy, and with a lot of my indie music that is recorded to already be muffled I'm afraid the Bass will just make it very muffled.

4. Beyer DT 770 

Seem to be similar to the the Dennons, I've read though that it only sounds good at a higher volume or with a sweet ass amp, which I can't afford now either.

With those options now does any one have any input?

audio technica ath-m50...for $100, they are non fatiguing, closed (won't leak sound) and generally regarded as one of the finest closed cans in the $100 range. Also, if you're looking for emphasis on bass these are your cans

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 16
How about Shure 840? Some found it rather heavy, but I found it alright, although it not as comfortable as, say, Sennheisser HD555 (which is very comfortable for me, bu I kinda dislike the bass). I think you should try it yourselves. Headphone is personal preference, so everyone will have different opinions. Try it by yourself so you can find the one suit you the best. Is there any store where you can try? Or you can try come to local meet. Hei, aren't AKG K271 MK II is about $180? I did try searching AKG K240 MK II and K271 MK II on amazon and found them about $180. Its practically same as 271 HD/242 HD. Or so I've heard.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 16
buy from a store that has a very good return policy...

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 16
Grados have little or no isolation so if you want to keep the music from leaking out look elsewhere.  I owned the K271 and thought it was very neutral and clean sounding.  Recently I picked up an etymotic hf5 from the apple store for use at work and on the go.  I have been very happy and surprised with their performance and will sound great straight from the macbook.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back