Graham Slee Voyager : The End of Audio Voyage?(Appreciation Thread)
May 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

K.I. Unlimited

100+ Head-Fier
Because I couldn't edit the title for my previous thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/390771/graham-slee-voyager) no matter how hard I tried, I felt I should make a new thread to unite all Voyager lovers.

I hardly visited head-fi since months ago, partly due to the fact that I was sated and bored by my player-Livewires only combo.
Then came my moment : a second-hand Voyager at an affordable price. Remembering all my short but memorable "listening moments" with it, I immediately snapped it up and fell in love with the amp again.

In the past I had some problems deciding on getting an "all-purpose amp". I'm a student, and students do not have the luxury to own a series of headphones, amps and such to suit different moods, songs and needs.

However, the Voyager seems to be an exception for me. No matter what, the lovable 'Flat' and 'Contour' pair made a great team. And I'm lazy to fiddle with EQ, plus the Contour seems to be the closest to "perfect EQ"...so that was it. Me and the Voyager. No more wondering around and having headaches over whether I should get a Hornet, Pico, etc...

I'm also crazy enough to say that I like the Voyager's label on top, and the whole feel of it. Practicality and looks I prefer, rather than a metal casing which I always have to baby around with. Any more and it'll be military-grade 
smily_headphones1.gif

Come, enough of me. I now hope all us Voyager lovers now have a proper place to stay. Your impressions, short reviews, or simply your love for the Voyager, post it all here!

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 71
Yes Miguel, I thank you from my heart for having such a steadfast recommendation of the amp. Not turning back, loving every moment of it.

I hope more people could post here about their Voyager(s), too!

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 71
The Voyager remains one of my favourite portable amps for a lot of reasons: sound, battery life, power, contour, plastic case. Its dry pithy sound is great for a lot of headphones, but it still has a touch of emotion and play. One of my favourites.

1. Here is my review of the Graham Slee Voyager.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 71
Wow! That's a very flattering picture of the Voyager. Nice review too.

I guess I only beg to differ a little bit on the BA part (but maybe that's just me) - many people have said the LW isn't good with the Voyager. I think otherwise.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 71
I haven't tried many amps, but I tried plugging some of my earphones(ok2-much nicer bass)  and IEMs(um2) in my friend's one and it sounded really nice! I like the way it looks as well, looks like a war-time radio to me :D 

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 71
My first and currently the only amp!! (for the moment atleast
biggrin.gif
).....Looks pretty ghetto!!! Pretty much brought my SE530's to life with the contour switch!!!!  Its like a match made in heaven!!

Thanks to the many reviews from headfiers, I was able to decide on my purchase and love every bit of it!!

OT:  Just ordered a pair of HD650's but I'm not sure if they have the power to drive it acceptably!! Anyone here tried them with the Voyager?

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 71
Let me put it this way: the Voyager does a great job with my DT880 600Ω. I have no idea how loud you listen to music, but if you don't expect more than 90dB and 100% reliability, the Voyager is as good as any amp with the DT880 600Ω. The HD650 also sound great, thanks to a broad, but dry midrange. It is one of the best portable amps on the market and comes at a good price. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 71
Low OHM phones sound great with the Voyager. I noticed that the DJ1Pro, a headphone that gets pumping with powerful amps gets pumping to about 95% of its pumpiness with mains amps from the Voyager. 

I called the Voyager to a 4/5 because of a few ergonomics, on/off thump, and the fact that it cannot fully power balanced armature earphones linearly. But, otherwise, it is one of the best amps I've ever used - ever.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #14 of 71
The switches don't affect me to a great extent, I suppose - and I am pretty tolerant about small things. Haha.

There is a slight problem with BA's though - turning the pot to suitable level to open the path to the best sound sounds a little too loud. And turning the pot just a little lower takes some kick out - not enough to turn me off, I guess, but...bleh.

Graham Slee did a miracle on this one. The Contour is like a godsend for people like me who are lazy to do EQ-ing.

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 71

Quote:
Let me put it this way: the Voyager does a great job with my DT880 600Ω. I have no idea how loud you listen to music, but if you don't expect more than 90dB and 100% reliability, the Voyager is as good as any amp with the DT880 600Ω. The HD650 also sound great, thanks to a broad, but dry midrange. It is one of the best portable amps on the market and comes at a good price. 

I know I can't expect miracles but its good to know that it can atleast run it acceptably!! Can't wait to try them out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back