Grado Worksmanship Kind of Sucks
Mar 12, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our four grandkids ages 5 through 12 had almost complete control of my MS-1s for almost four months and just couldn't kill these cans!

They really tried; even tangled the cable in their computer chair and gave it a spin!! Ripped out big chunks of insulation between the "Y" junction and the housings, but they still play great!

*faints*

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #17 of 58
the big downside of Grado is the quality of the housings... that's why i try to buy Grado stuff locally and demo it first. i pretend i'm admiring the awesome build quality by examining the headphone while i'm really checkin' for nicks.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess we are all programed that built in obsolescence is a factor in everything you buy.

indeed, my first choice instead is always to go for the overbuilt vintage beasts with performance that at least match modern standards. say, the HP1000.
smily_headphones1.gif
Or a Gibson Les Paul. But sometimes ya gotta get a computer instead of that 50 year old IBM typewriter, even though the computer will crap out in 5 more years but the IBM will live on forever...because the IBM no longer serves complete contemporary needs.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 58
There was a thread recently on Grado's built quality and like I mentioned I don't think its their quality assurance, but rather the way their tooling and design is. Quality has to be designed into the product from the drawing board through the finished product. If the tooling such as the dies, molds and assemebly methods are antiquated, you are not going to get a consistent product everytime. I do agree that most who buy headphones that cost more than $25 are a more refined bunch of consumer that expect a "quality" product for the money they pay.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a thread recently on Grado's built quality and like I mentioned I don't think its their quality assurance, but rather the way their tooling and design is. Quality has to be designed into the product from the drawing board through the finished product. If the tooling such as the dies, molds and assemebly methods are antiquated, you are not going to get a consistent product everytime. I do agree that most who buy headphones that cost more than $25 are a more refined bunch of consumer that expect a "quality" product for the money they pay.

there we go... the main problem that comes up from Grado's business model: consistency.

Quote:

[size=x-small]This is small-scale capitalism at its smallest. In the cellar an injection molding machine turns out plastic headphone housings. Another machine churns out the precisely calibrated metal parts needed for the tiny speakers that go into headphones. On the first two floors 17 women from the neighborhood assemble the parts and pack the finished products into boxes that are stored in a parlor. Grado, his wife, Loretta, and their son Jonathan, 4, live on the top floor.[/size]

[size=x-small]

of course it's different now, but everything is still hand-made.
[/size]

Mar 12, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #21 of 58
http://www.gradolabs.com/reviews/forbes.htm

Mr. Grado makes 500 bucks a week - he's too busy rollin' in dough to tool up!
evil_smiley.gif
All kidding aside, he's comfortable with it, customers on a whole keep buyin', so there ya go.

Mar 13, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.gradolabs.com/reviews/forbes.htm

Mr. Grado makes 500 bucks a week - he's too busy rollin' in dough to tool up!
evil_smiley.gif
All kidding aside, he's comfortable with it, customers on a whole keep buyin', so there ya go.

Well we can pretty much estimate how much he makes now; 2005 figures 45,000 pairs of cans, 60% SR60/80, 30% SR125/225/325i and 10% RS2/RS1 and GS1. $10,000,000 total revenue. I 'll say he pockets anywhere from $1.5 to 2 million a year 1.5/52, thats $28,846 a week for a bad year !

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #23 of 58
Haven't had any problems with my 2-yr old SR80s. Then again, I do baby them...
rs1smile.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Well we can pretty much estimate how much he makes now; 2005 figures 45,000 pairs of cans, 60% SR60/80, 30% SR125/225/325i and 10% RS2/RS1 and GS1. $10,000,000 total revenue. I 'll say he pockets anywhere from $1.5 to 2 million a year 1.5/52, thats $28,846 a week for a bad year !

If I'm understanding your #'s, you're quoting the gross margin figure. There are fixed and certain variable costs not related to production cost that need to be taken out of that too. Care to take an equally well considered stab at that??

Sorry if that last bit seems harsh, but I"m sensing a bit of cheap-shotting going on round these parts lately, and I don't much like it.

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 58
Anyone care to send this thread to Mr. Grado and Company ?

Its a legitimate customer(s) compliant !

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Anyone care to send this thread to Mr. Grado and Company ?

Its a legitimate customer(s) compliant !

Seems to me that it's up to the customer with the complaint, not a third party who would do so because...??

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to me that it's up to the customer with the complaint, not a third party who would do so because...??

Can you determine how many members here have Grado products and the percentage that it has on Grado's annual sales ?

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Can you determine how many members here have Grado products and the percentage that it has on Grado's annual sales ?

You're missing the point: it's not up to me or you or anyone but an aggreived customer to lodge a complaint. Were I the owner of an audio company, and someone who is not a customer were to present me with a complaint (on someone else's behalf??) I'd frankly wonder just what their agenda might be. It would strike me as odd.

Oh, and the title of this thread would probably do little more than piss me off.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

I'd love to see how something like this would be carried out, sounds pretty much impossible to me.

Do you yourself have a problem with your Grado's or something? Mine are worth every penny I paid for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back