Grado versus Alessandro
Jan 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #16 of 52
I emailed Grado about purchasing new model # buttons for my SR225i. The next day they replied and asked for my address so they could mail a pair out to me. A week later I had 'em, free of charge. We all have different experiences.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot remember now if the MS-1 is "based" on the SR-80 or the SR-125.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS1/1i uses the same driver as the SR125/125i.

yeh, that's what i've heard.. that's the thing that makes the ms1i exceptional value for money

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 52
I'm surprised you got a multisyllabic response from Alessandro.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh, that's what i've heard.. that's the thing that makes the ms1i exceptional value for money

What I have most recently heard is that all of them, except the SR-60/80's and MS-1's use the same drivers, which are then treated differently. That's at least one of the speculated rumors. The other is that they are all the exact same, and are later tested for quality and assigned to the most appropriate cans. Hmmm... confusing business, Grados.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 52
Cool, very cloak and dagger!
While the one poster was right about asking a vendor for a non-biased opinion, it was interesting reading their responses non the less.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #22 of 52
We should ask Alessandro their opinions on socialized health care, and see how far that gets us. I'm sure we'll be in store for a lot of witty quotables!
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We should ask Alessandro their opinions on socialized health care, and see how far that gets us. I'm sure we'll be in store for a lot of witty quotables!
wink.gif

I'm sure Alessandro are neutral on the subject.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #24 of 52
Haha. Just like their headphones (relative to regular Grados, at least).

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #25 of 52
alessandro's response seems typical. i find the grado response more interesting. the signature of grados and alessandros are obviously not the same, so why does grado feel compelled to give that boilerplate? are they expecting grados to be more easily purchased in the US and therefore, assuming you are in the US, bet that you will follow the more easily purchased product? hmmm... that could be an underestimation of audiophilia.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Ha! Sounds like they're fielding questions on an election year!

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, i've taken my own conclusions and believe they're the same product with different branding, nothing more.

Way to go, Mr. Research. Try listening to a comparable pair first.

That being: MS1/125, MS2/325, MsPro/RS1

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way to go, Mr. Research. Try listening to a comparable pair first.

That being: MS1/125, MS2/325, MsPro/RS1

There's nothing you can do about people like this. Some people are ignorant, some are deaf, and some of those people like to talk way too much.

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #29 of 52
MD1032 posted:-
There's nothing you can do about people like this. Some people are ignorant, some are deaf, and some of those people like to talk way too much. . about Drubbing.

I hate to tell you MD1032, but the shoe is on the other foot - Drubbing is right,,,,,!!!!
Ignorance is indeed bliss, Garfield notwithstanding.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alessandro's response seems typical. i find the grado response more interesting. the signature of grados and alessandros are obviously not the same, so why does grado feel compelled to give that boilerplate? are they expecting grados to be more easily purchased in the US and therefore, assuming you are in the US, bet that you will follow the more easily purchased product? hmmm... that could be an underestimation of audiophilia.

I got a different reading.

Grado is the one being up-front. Allessandro is the one dodging the question. Then again, it's in each company's best interest to answer as it has. Grado wins, whether you buy from one of its authorized dealers, or through Allessandro. Grado doesn't have a retail store. It makes the headphones, then relies on others to sell them. It obviously has some kind of agreement with the dealers because none of them sell below MSRP. I've never seen a company sell any Grados at cost, or some other discount, the way retailers frequently do with other products. Allessandro is the exception to Grado's normal distribution network of selling its name brand through dealers. Allessandro gets to put its name on the product. Its entry-level MS1 is also $50 cheaper than the SR-125.

It's in Grado's interest to acknowledge that an Allessandro is a Grado under a different name. If you buy the Allessandro, Grado gets as enriched as if you bought a Grado from a different dealer. As long as you're buying Grado, Grado is happy.

But for Allessandro, it's in their interest to keep mum. If an Allessandro is the same as a Grado, you don't need to buy from them. There are probably closer vendors through whom to scratch your Grado itch. The only reason to buy directly from Allessandro is to get something better, which Allessandro can't argue (without damaging Grado's relationship with all of its other dealers). Allessandro's smartest play is to avoid answering the question and let you assume that Allessandro is better. After all, if it's a Grado, it can't be less, but if Allessandro is marketing its version of a Grado, that distinction gives its products a certain mystique. Allessandro can't capitalize on this mystique by raising its prices but it can certainly sell more units by letting you think you got the deal of a lifetime: a better Grado for the same price.

But if Allessandro knows more about making headphones than Grado, why is Allessandro buying from Grado and not the other way around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back