Grado + Tubes
Aug 18, 2005 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Claus1100xx

500+ Head-Fier
How do the Grados sound with a tube amp, in my case the PPX. Would it tame the highs a bit and make em a little smoother, but keep the attack in?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 8
Attack - yes / smooth - yes / smooth enough - ????? I used this combo for about a year (225's & PPX). It was warmer and smoother than the LaRocco PR I had. While I would never admit it, because everyone thought the PPX was a little closed in on top, I thought it was still a little sharp, maybe peaky, maybe bright ????? with the 225's. I tried interconnect after interconnect and could only get what I was looking for with the warmest of the bunch. The only problem was it screwed up the whole freq range trying to roll the highs. I should have tried the 650's but something else came up and I sold my amp.

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
How do the Grados sound with a tube amp, in my case the PPX. Would it tame the highs a bit and make em a little smoother, but keep the attack in?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Which Grado did you think about using with your PPX3?

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 8
I've tried Grado SR-225 and RS-2 with PPX3, PPX3 SLAM, MPX3 6sn7 and tube rectified Supra. Compare with non-tube amps (Headroom Max, Prehead and HA-1 MKII), tube amps do add bit of warmth and make it sound more organic (especially midrange). However tube amps do not change Grado house sound completely. In other words, although slightly tamed, the overall sonic signature of Grado phones is still intact (tight hard-hitting bass and fairly extended highs).

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
I've tried Grado SR-225 and RS-2 with PPX3, PPX3 SLAM, MPX3 6sn7 and tube rectified Supra. Compare with non-tube amps (Headroom Max, Prehead and HA-1 MKII), tube amps do add bit of warmth and make it sound more organic (especially midrange). However tube amps do not change Grado house sound completely. In other words, although slightly tamed, the overall sonic signature of Grado phones is still intact (tight hard-hitting bass and fairly extended highs).

Good post, thanks for that. Good to know. Slightly changed but not transformed. How about in terms of space and air? My guess is it wouldn't be a whole lot different here either, depending on which solid state amp you are talking I guess but most solid state amps have similar spatial qualities.

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Which Grado did you think about using with your PPX3?

hhmm not sure which one yet, something in the range of sr225-rs2. I have used an SR125 before but couldn't handle its highs too much. But now my HD650 are a little too smooth for some good rock music, so I'd really would like to fall in love wit the grado line again - and I even love the way they look
rs1smile.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Good post, thanks for that. Good to know. Slightly changed but not transformed. How about in terms of space and air? My guess is it wouldn't be a whole lot different here either, depending on which solid state amp you are talking I guess but most solid state amps have similar spatial qualities.

Based on my experience, descent tube amps such as Singlepower amps do perform comparably neck to neck with solid-state amps. To my ears, 6sn7 version PPX3 has more space and air where 6cg7 sounds much warmer and mellow in the midrange. I would also add that 6cg7 sounds a tad bit less dynamic than 6sn7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back