Grado SRi red drivers. Are they SRe drivers?
Feb 9, 2015 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

GreenBow

Headphoneus Supremus
Please can someone help me decide if MY SR225i are fitted with 'i' drivers or 'e' drivers.

I had not heard of this before googling just out of curiosity for SR225i reviews. I found a thread about the 'e' series, and on page 24 a discussion about 'e' drivers in 'i' models. The idea was that if you can see red backed drivers inside the grills they are 'e' drivers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722571/grado-e-series/345 
More on page 81
http://www.head-fi.org/t/722571/grado-e-series/1200

Going by this I am wondering if my SR225i are 'e' drivers, but terminated in a 6mm (1/4") jack. They look identical inside to the view of the red drivers in page 24, which is discussed as 'e' drivers

Photo here of mine using an LED torch to see inside...http://www.mediafire.com/view/e723wnlt2h6ae2g/SR225i%20red%20driver.JPG#

One issue that puzzles me is what people were saying when the SR changed to the SRi. Then, forums had people saying that the way to distinguish was the SRi had something to do with red on the drivers. [EDITED: Later in this thread we established they used a dot of red paint to denote SRi drivers.]

I am just asking if someone who knows are mine definitely SR225e drivers in the SR225i cases. From the sound I am tempted to think they are.

Another issue it leaves me with is where to upgrade to from here, if mine are really SR225e.
1. Some say that there is very little difference between SR225e and SR325e so that may be an expensive option. The SR325e while brilliantly received in reviews, leaves me a little bemused.
a) I prefer having the narrower less fancy headband on the SR225i. Why pay more money for just a posh head-band when the normal one works. I have no idea what people mean when they say the 325 headband is more comfortable. I can't feel the headband on the 225.
b) Plus I prefer black not grey/silver.
c) I know it's about the acoustics. I would put my reservations about the SR325e aside if I thought it was a substantial upgrade. Yet like I mentioned, some say the 225e to the 325e is not much of a difference. The only strong argument for buying SR325e is that the original SR225 (not 'i') was only four star reviewed. Meaning its roots are weaker.

2. The PS500 doesn't review so well in pro-reviews. There is still yet to be a specific PS500e pro-review from What Hi-Fi.

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 27
  Please can someone help me decide if MY SR225i are fitted with 'i' drivers or 'e' drivers.

I had not heard of this before googling just out of curiosity for SR225i reviews. I found a thread about the 'e' series, and on page 24 a discussion about 'e' drivers in 'i' models. The idea was that if you can see red backed drivers inside the grills they are 'e' drivers.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722571/grado-e-series/345 
More on page 81
http://www.head-fi.org/t/722571/grado-e-series/1200

Going by this I am wondering if my SR225i are 'e' drivers, but terminated in a 6mm (1/4") jack. They look identical inside to the view of the red drivers in page 24, which is discussed as 'e' drivers

Photo here of mine using an LED torch to see inside...http://www.mediafire.com/view/e723wnlt2h6ae2g/SR225i%20red%20driver.JPG#

One issue that puzzles me is what people were saying when the SR changed to the SRi. Then, forums were full of people saying that the way to distinguish was the SRi had red drivers.

I am just asking if someone who knows are mine definitely SR225e drivers in the SR225i cases. From the sound I am tempted to think they are.

I'm pretty certain they are 'e' drivers. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 27
When did you get your 225 and did you get it new?

Have not yet heard the 225e--but based on the 225i, 325is and 325e, the 325e is an upgrade.  However, not everyone likes it more than the 225.  You should listen to both if at all possible.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 27
I bought them new in October 2014.

I know that might makes you wonder why not get the 'e' version anyway. However it was because of one of the gadgets I wanted to use them on. I believe having the SR225i 1/4" jack, and the Grado converter cable to 1/8" jack was the solution for me. As far as I could see the 1/8" plug on the SRe phones has a wider flange (the part you hold), than that on the1/8" adaptor cable. My Pure PocketDab 1500  has a narrow area around the phones socket.

I figure if I buy some Grado 'e' series I will have to convert to 1/4", then back to 1/8" for that gadget I have. My after-thought is I will have to do that one day in the future anyway. As one day I will have next gen Grado phones.

Yes they were really at the end of the line, one of the last two in stock, from Amazon. The 'e' series was stocked.

@ sinnottj, it's very exciting thinking so. I hope so. The 'e' are meant to be clearer and weightier. I have always been astonished with these phones since the moment I put them on. (Either they were a returned item to Amazon and already run in, then Amazon sold them to me. Or they might well be 'e' version drivers, which some say sound mostly run in anyway, when new. They certainly sounded good straight out the box. I had some SR125i previous to that, and they were for sure in need of running in.)

@cel 4145, thanks for the hint to the Grado fan club. I noticed it's over a thousand pages long so I'm not going to read it all. Haha! I might plod through bits of it at a time. I mean it's good fun reading what people say about Grado kit. I did read the whole Grado e series thread that I put links to earlier.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 27
  In that case they are almost certainly an "e" in "i" disguise.  I have an SR60i/e that is.

Well I was starting to think the same myself. It's good to hear someone else say so. I hope it's right.

(The audio from these SR225i(e) really can be spectacular. I had some SR125i around at the time I got them so I could do a straight comparison. They were louder at the same volume. The difference was improved clarity. I was comparing with a Celine Dion MP3 and the vocals were slightly more breathy, and distinct from the mix. The whole sound was like it had been polished. My SR225i (maybe/probably e) were also faintly less sibilant, not that you can really call SR125i sibilant. They were just clearer on the edges of stuff like vocals using the consonant 's'. Meaning overall they hold sound together a little better.)

However there was the issue that made me question the whole red backed drivers idea. As I said I was sure red drivers was mentioned as the way to distinguish between SR and SRi. Going back years I was looking to buy some SRi. I was curious how do we tell if we are getting SRi or being fobbed off with SR. I googled, and I was sure people mentioned red drivers identified SRi phones. The question is am I right or wrong.  

I feel quite bad bringing this up because I am contradicting what everyone thinks and states now. I may be wrong, and making a bit of a fool of myself. I asked Grado recently and they said there was quite a lot of differences between SR and SRi. They mentioned the SRi had quite a different ear-cup. I have noticed cups on the SR swivelled on the outer part of the cup. Whereas the SRi swivel in the mid part of the cup. [I have to say though I thought it was unfair of Grado not to put the 'i' on SRi.]

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 27

Well I was starting to think the same myself. It's good to hear someone else say so. I hope it's right.

(The audio from these SR225i(e) really can be spectacular. I had some SR125i around at the time I got them so I could do a straight comparison. They were louder at the same volume. The difference was improved clarity. I was comparing with a Celine Dion MP3 and the vocals were slightly more breathy, and distinct from the mix. The whole sound was like it had been polished. My SR225i (maybe/probably e) were also faintly less sibilant, not that you can really call SR125i sibilant. They were just clearer on the edges of stuff like vocals using the consonant 's'. Meaning overall they hold sound together a little better.)

However there was the issue that made me question the whole red backed drivers idea. As I said I was sure red drivers was mentioned as the way to distinguish between SR and SRi. Going back years I was looking to buy some SRi phones. I was curious how do we tell if we are getting SRi or being fobbed off with SR. I googled, and I was sure people mentioned red drivers identified SRi phones. The question is am I right or wrong.  

I feel quite bad bringing this up because I am contradicting what everyone thinks and states now. I may be wrong, and making a bit of a fool of myself. I asked Grado recently and they said there was quite a lot of differences between SR and SRi. They mentioned the SRi had quite a different ear-cup. I have noticed cups on the SR swivelled on the outer part of the cup. Whereas the SRi swivel in the mid part of the cup. [I have to say though I thought it was unfair of them not to put the 'i' on SRi.]

I've never heard of this before.  I have seen some older Grados with black paint on the back of the driver, or with a red dot, but as far as I'm aware Grado only started using this red paint to distinguish the 'e' series drivers from the 'i' drivers.

As someone else pointed out, the fact that you have a 1/8" plug makes me 100% sure you actually have a 225e. The 225 & 225i both had 1/4" plugs.

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 27

Sorry, you have misread. I have 1/4 plug.

It's not the first time I have seen this combination either of 1/4" plug and red drivers. It's definitely mentioned in the "'e' Series" thread I mentioned earlier. Someone described having this combination. Someone replied they would rather have e' driver with 1/4" that with 1/8".

I wonder if it's like you say, they used a red dot. Maybe I just remembered the words 'red and 'drivers'. I am scraping around in murky long time ago memories. I didn't buy at the time so it wasn't something I would have learned so to speak. Just something I passed by on the internet.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 27
From what I know, the only difference between normal i series and e-in-i series is red drivers. Only when Grado officially started unveiling e series did they move onto 1/8 plugs.

Btw, e-series now come with normal silver/black driver as well. Only the first e-series (and e-in-i) drivers were red. Anw, apart from the RS1e that a lot of Grado fans dislike, all the other SR models seem to be improved with e-series updates. No matter if you got the SR225i or the SR225e, you got yourself a great pair of cans. Enjoy!

Edit: if you got red driver, that's def e-series.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 27

Sorry - I did misread that!

I'm still almost certain you have an 'e' series. Why don't you ask Grado for confirmation?

Pictures say a thousand words, so this is why I chose SRi over SRe. This is my Pure PocketDab 1500 which I think I could not use SRe with. (Inside leather carry case with a piece of clear plastic sheet over the exposed area of the radio for protection. Little hole cut for the control which rocks and presses to select.)

The gadget casing is built up around the phones socket.

As far as I can see the SRe headphone jack-plug flange is wider than the Grado mini adaptor. (Flange meaning the part of the plug you hold.) This shows how my mini adaptor only just fits in the phones socket.

and

and

I think the flange, is wider on the 'e' series, than the mini-adaptor, by about 1-2mm. I really need to look into this as I often think longingly about SR325e, and of course  PS500e.

I had already emailed Grado, as you suggested for confirmation. Nothing yet. To be honest I do not expect a reply from the email I entered from the website email form. I do have emails from chats with Grado tech in my inbox that I could reply to and ask again.

@lehoang15tuoi, thankyou for your highly positive comment. I have to agree these SR225i(e) phones are beautiful. On a PC and reasonable DAC they a pretty stunning. My radio on a clear DAB station is a joy. I am glad to think they are 'e' driver. Basically because the original SR225 reviewed only four stars. The SR225i most likely made a better headphone. Then the 'e' tone, I think would iron out what made the original SR225 rate lower. (My theory is that the closer matched drivers and improved airflow allow greater clarity and accuracy. Whereas the original SR needed the solid 325 case to get acoustic solidity. I think the 'e' driver itself does some of that now. Please forgive me anyone if I am wrong.)

Anyway, I got a great price and the carry-case bundle.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 27
  Pictures say a thousand words, so this is why I chose SRi over SRe. This is my Pure PocketDab 1500 which I think I could not use SRe with. (Inside leather carry case with a piece of clear plastic sheet over the exposed area of the radio for protection.) Little hole cut for the control which rocks and presses to select.)

The gadget casing is built up around the phones socket.

As far as I can see the SRe headphone jack-plug flange is wider than the Grado mini adaptor. (Flange meaning the part of the plug you hold.) This shows how my mini adaptor only just fits in the phones socket.

and

and

I think the flange, is wider on the 'e' series, than the mini-adaptor, by about 1-2mm. I really need to look into this as I often think longingly about SR325e, and of course the PS500e.

I had already emailed Grado, as you suggested for confirmation. Nothing yet. To be honest I do not expect a reply from the email I entered from the website email form. I do have emails in my inbox that I could reply to and ask again.

@lehoang15tuoi, thankyou for your highly positive comment. I believe red driver did stay around a while in the full on SRe. There is a youtube review of the SSR325e, and it has the 'e' denotation on the cup. There is moment where you see the red too.

Anyway I have to agree these SR225i(e) phones are beautiful. On a reasonable PC DAC they a pretty stunning. My radio on a clear DAB station is a joy. I am glad to think they are 'e' driver. Basically because the original SR225 review only four stars. The SR225i most likely made a better phones. Then the 'e' tone, I think would iron out what made the original SR225 rate lower. I got a good price and the carry-case so I was happy.

Looking at those pictures, I agree that you would definitely struggle to fit the plug on the 225e (and above) into the jack on your Pure DAB! The plastic part of the the plug (the flange, as you call it) is almost the same size as on the 225i.

Looks like you got lucky with your 225i/e - it seems perfect for you!

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 27
Thank you. Yes if bought Grado 'e' series I think I would have to go 3.5mm -> 6mm -> 3.5mm -> into PocketDab. This would be knowing that we lose signal quality across connections. There is a wider area of black rubber around the 'e' 3.5mm gold jack, from what I can see online.

Flange is actually the word Grado used in an email to me. I had been asking about ear-pads, and my Pure Dab plug-socket. This quote is part of the email from info@gradolabs.com.
""S" cushions and "L" cushions are interchangeable between all our headphones model up to the RS-1

our 3.5mm plug has a flange on it, it probably will not fit."

Definitely I am sure I got lucky with this buy. They never cease to amaze me, and whether 'i' or 'e' drivers the audio quality is musically dreamy. I also use them for gaming. Last night I was playing Wolfenstein The New Order. There was some excellent tech music playing, and I was hanging around where I was to let it play. I wasn't in a rush to move on in case the music changed. Luckily I got killed and had to do the same stretch again. Haha!
beyersmile.png
. They mind-blow in all the gaming sounds and effects. (Hence my PC DAC.)

Mostly believing these are 'e' drivers. I wonder then what other changes took place between 'i' to 'e' in the 225. In the 325, the What Hi-Fi SR325e review says quote, "They bring improvements to the motor system and housing, and a wider, more cushioned headband". Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr325e/review#ZAMhWfcOV0yvJGck.99

It's practically an emotional place to be. I love my SR225i/e, but traitorously to them I occasionally day-dream about SR325e and PS500e, as you do. Or PS1000e, hilarious.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 27
I found a webpage that explains the SR225e updates over the SR225i. I wondered about that in the above post. It's a very interesting read. It says,
"Elsewhere however, work has been carried out on the e components that does warrant a little more interest. The most significant change has been to fine tune the magnetic field of the whole headphone. This entails changes to the motor and voice coils of the drivers and paying attention to the overall symmetry of the headphone. This at first sounds slightly absurd - headphones are by their very nature symmetrical - but it extends to the placement of mounts and fittings to ensure that this genuinely is the case."

https://www.avforums.com/review/grado-sr225e-headphone-review.10758

It also mentions the short thick cabling. Mine have a thick short cable. These do look like an 'e' pair now. (Smiling thinking about it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back