Grado Sr60i vs. Sr80i
Jul 11, 2009 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Darksyde

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I know that there have been many threads on this topic (at least, the non "i" versions), and although I am not in the market for either pair of 'phones (I own the Sr225i's), I have a question.

Most people claim that with the old 60's and 80's, the only difference were the pads. The 60's have comfies, while the 80's have the better bowls. People have said that if you put bowls on the 60's, then they become 80's. The price difference between the two 'phones is actually equal to the cost of a pair of bowls, so go figure!

Now, the 60i's and 80's both come with comfies. I know that the 80i's have destressed drivers, and 8 cables, but do these small differences make a big enough difference between the two "i" models?

Mark

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 40
I'm not sure about the "i" models, but there's a substantial difference between the SR-80's and the SR-60's. I remember comparing mine to some 60's at a meet. The 80's treble is just much better, in my opinion. Don't forget, though, part of that is that they used to be sold with bowl pads.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people claim that with the old 60's and 80's, the only difference were the pads. The 60's have comfies, while the 80's have the better bowls. People have said that if you put bowls on the 60's, then they become 80's. The price difference between the two 'phones is actually equal to the cost of a pair of bowls, so go figure!

I haven't heard the new i's, but quite frankly those people who claim this probably haven't done a side by side comparison of the SR60 with the SR80 using the same pads. Because if they had they would have known that the SR80's bass is significantly deeper than the SR60's.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Does anybody have experience with both 'phones? If you do, please share your findings for the benefit of the budget-audiophilers out there.

Ive had experience with both the 60s and 80s and heard the new 60i briefly but the gap Ive had them is too long to give any meaningful impressions. I do remember immensely enjoying the sr80s though. I liked them so much better than hd580s during the mid 90s

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

but do these small differences make a big enough difference between the two "i" models?

Does anything on this site have a big difference? Of course not, but to an audiophile that little but will mean a huge change. Personally, I'd just get the sr60i and mod them to your liking which will not only give you a better cable, but a better bowl/pad as well

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the new i's, but quite frankly those people who claim this probably haven't done a side by side comparison of the SR60 with the SR80 using the same pads. Because if they had they would have known that the SR80's bass is significantly deeper than the SR60's.

I agree, the 80's are much warmer to me. They have a richer more engaging sound because of it. I've not heard the newer versions though.

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 40
The 60s and the 80s, both with comfies, in my experience, are quite different. They definitely are not the same. The 80s are more rich, detailed, with better bass extension. They benefit more from an amp than the 60s though.

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 40
Hey guys, I've purchased the Ultrasone PRO 2500's and have virtually no money left, but still would like a portable pair!

I found the Koss Porta Pro for just £17.99 on amazon...

Now, I know virtually nothing about these apart from that they're apparently very comfortable. Are they good in terms of sound quality?

I don't know what to expect because they are priced very low, but apparently sound good?
Is it worth £17.99 or should I just keep my Sennheiser CX400 II's for travel etc?

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 40
I'm in the process of choosing between the SR60i's, SR80i's, and AD700's.  I've eliminated the 60's from the competition.  The bass response is much better in the 80's while maintaining that signature Grado sound in the mids/highs.  However, if you can afford the 80i's, I'd recommend giving the AD700's a listen.  On Amazon they're either the same price or a bit cheaper than the 80i's I believe.  But they seem to do just as good of a job as the 80i's when it comes to the 80i's "strengths" while doing many other things better.  They're a lot more comfortable and the soundstage is great.

But if you're only considering the 60i's and 80i's, I'd go with the 80i's.  It's just a better overall sound, keeps or improves upon the strengths of the 60i's while improving on their weaker points, i.e. bass.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 40
I have the AD900 and SR-80i, the AD900 has less bass than the Grado, and what I've been hearing the AD900 has more bass than the AD700, Grados don't impress  soundstage wise, while the AD series have  the best soundstage you can get in their price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back