Grado SR325i's
Jan 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Jason36

500+ Head-Fier
A quick question for the knowledgable Grado people out there.

I have a pair of Grado SR80i's which I have modded by removing the membrane from the front baffle, punching 5 holes in the rear driver membrane and a set of L-Cush ear pads. I am also waiting for some wooden cups and a rewire to arrive from Martin Custom Audio.

My question is that I am considering getting a pair of 325i's but I am wondering whether there would be any real improvement and difference between these and the SR80? I know the 325 have better wiring and also better drivers. 

Is it worth the extra cost of these or would I be better of just getting a pair of Magnum drivers and doing something with these in a cheaper stock pair of Grado's???

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 51

Sounds like you like to tinker with positive results ~ stick to it, you'll probably find it more rewarding
 in the end than just lashing out on a new pizza box.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 51
What's your price ceiling?

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 51

Quote:
What's your price ceiling?

This is why I am asking if there is much difference between the SR80i and the 325is I suppose.

My SR80i's are being completely modded with wooden cups and a rewire.....I have also undertaken the standard driver upgrades including punching 4 holes in the rear driver membrane and removing the membrane from the front of the drivers.

I can get a pair of 325is for approximately £200......but if I kept these standard would there be a big difference between these and the SR80's. I cant see the point of spending £200 on the cans and then spending another £240.00 on say going for the Magnum upgrade. If I was going to do that I would probably be better of just changing the drivers to the Magnum's in the SR80 for approx £72.00....and probably have an excellent pair of headphones equivalent to the 325's? Would people agree.

So should I save my money....just get the Magnums for the SR80 and then save and invest in say a pair of RS1i Grado's or Audio Technica ATH-W100X??

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 51
By the way I wouldnt be selling the SR80's they would be staying whatever I decide on.....I love the sound of these and I'm sure they will only be better with the wooden cups and rewire :)

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 51
I have an unmodded SR-80 and I auditioned the SR-325is. The 325is has way more detail and brightness than the 80. In fact, when I was auditioning the 325is with jazz music (Duke Ellington's Big 4 to be specific), it hurt my ears whenever the brass section played. If I will upgrade, it would be either the 225i or the RS or PS line. The 325is is just way too aggressive for me, but some people love it. Like always, it's best to audition them yourself. I hope his helps.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 51

Quote:
I have an unmodded SR-80 and I auditioned the SR-325is. The 325is has way more detail and brightness than the 80. In fact, when I was auditioning the 325is with jazz music (Duke Ellington's Big 4 to be specific), it hurt my ears whenever the brass section played. If I will upgrade, it would be either the 225i or the RS or PS line. The 325is is just way too aggressive for me, but some people love it. Like always, it's best to audition them yourself. I hope his helps.

Agreed. I found the 325is upper range a bit too much for me. At least compared to the 225i. I stepped up to the PS500 for this reason.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 51
Cheers Guys,

From what people are saying it sounds like I would probably be better of upgrading the drivers to the V4 Magnums to go in the wooden cups and rewire.......this is certainly cheaper than either the 325 or 225. It sounds like I should then save my money and put it towards either a higher level Grado RS2i / RS1i / PS500 or something like the Audio Technica ATH W1000X.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 51
At the end of the day £200 for the 325, is a good price....Brand new i assume.....Shame not many sellers in the uk stock these, then you could have heard them first....But they would need a good burn in period, as they say.......i have these h/phones, as a few others....And i love them.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 51
Hvae to say that the 325i got a big 'DO NOT WANT' when I heard them and I'm a HF-1 owner.

The HF-1 are typically bright but the 325i were verging on painful for my ears. These days I haven't been on Head-fi in a while as my HD25 have satisfied all my music needs, but now going back to my HF-1 even they feel bright an completely bassless.

Ahh the world of headphones is as complicated as women.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 51

Quote:
if your modding look into just getting some magnum drivers

That's pretty much what I have done Rogan....ordered a pair of V4 Magnums to go with my Hawaiian KOA cups, rewire and aluminium gimbals.

I have then purchased some additional Bocota cups from Sylvan and bought a second hand pair of Grdao SR60's to canabalise for my SR80i Drivers.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 51
save up cash, find someone who can solder, and get some magnums. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 51

Quote:
save up cash, find someone who can solder, and get some magnums. 

See Previous Post 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 51
haha sorry. The idea has to be driven in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back