Grado SR325is Impressions: Not Sure I'll Keep Em' :\
Aug 12, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 23

Quote:

That sound good to me. I really love what Grado does well on this phone. 

In regards to the drum and cymbal work, I am contrasting that to my experience to how the MTPCs preform. IMO those have the perfect balance, while everything sounds very disproportionate on the SR325is. The detail is there so I hear every snare brush, crash and china, but the presentation is not nearly as forward as the rest of the instruments. It feels almost like Grado is trying to create a false soundstage by making the drums too distant and echoey. Somtimes it feels like the cymbal work that is meant to be feint and quiet sounds annoying and almost buzzy instead of crisp and clear. Like Wind016 said above me, the bass suffers the same problem. Prominence of the Mids and Highs really take my attention off of the Double Bass(kick drums) and make my songs feel lacking. I miss that THUMP and impact that effects the rest of the music! The only reason why I feel like the bass is somewhat presented is because of the clarity and spaciousness of the phone.

I really would like to try a Little Dot 1+ but its not portable. I want to able to interchange between my Coppers and SR325is, but the SR325is don't pair as well with solid state amps(right?). My iBasso T3 will have to do for now.

Heya,

Welp, grab some Shure SRH940's. All the forward goodness of the Grado sound in the glorious mids and details, oh the details, with little to no sibilance, along with excellent extension into the bass department with some impact. Closed for isolation. Incredibly comfortable. And they have swivel cups so they can be portable. Just used mine on a flight from Miami. Check 'em.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #18 of 23

Quote:

Heya,

Welp, grab some Shure SRH940's. All the forward goodness of the Grado sound in the glorious mids and details, oh the details, with little to no sibilance, along with excellent extension into the bass department with some impact. Closed for isolation. Incredibly comfortable. And they have swivel cups so they can be portable. Just used mine on a flight from Miami. Check 'em.

Very best,

I would never use "monitor" type headphones for Metal, but that's just me.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #19 of 23
Check out the sony Z1000 or D2k/5k, these might suit you well. For the IEMs i think the MTPC is considered pretty fast : )

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 23
Before you get rid of the 325is's, go listen to other headphones in the same price segment if you have any head-fiers by you, it takes perspective to understand why people come to like the Grado sound for metal, rock, acoustic, and ****, even for me, classical. I know I didn't like them the first time around. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #21 of 23
Flat pads. Every 325i owner should give them a go on flats before deciding they should move them on to another home.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #22 of 23
After about 55h of burn in these babies are starting to come around. When I created this thread the last time I heard the SR325is were at the 15h mark. Since then I have really noticed a improvement in drum kit. Cymbals are still not as prominent nor as forward as like them to be and the bass quantity isn't in as much abundance as my MTPCs but it's an big imrpovement. I still wish the separation between the toms and snares were better, I can't help but notice when a guitar is extremely low ended it engulfs the pound of the kit entirely.

I still am getting used to the amazing guitars, vocals, and soundstage! With a little more burn in and a EQ I will be content!

If there are any IEMs that can replicate this sound for under $500 SPEAK NOW!

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #23 of 23

Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

If I were to go portable, I would probably go a step up from the SR325is maybe $100-200 more as I would no longer need some of my equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back