Grado SR325i vs. SR325is --audible difference?
Mar 18, 2009 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

White_Noise

New Head-Fier
Today I bought a pair of Grado sr325i, and when I got home I visited the grado website and realized that they just released an upgraded model, the sr325is for the same price!

Has anyone here auditioned the new model yet, and is there an audible difference? Thanks.

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by White_Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I bought a pair of Grado sr325i, and when I got home I visited the grado website and realized that they just released an upgraded model, the sr325is for the same price!

Has anyone here auditioned the new model yet, and is there an audible difference? Thanks.

I thought that there was a significant price drop on the old model?

I've seen a few really cheap 325i lately.

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that there was a significant price drop on the old model?

I've seen a few really cheap 325i lately.

Price drops don't mean the new one is better. From what i've read here though the main differences lie in the bass and the soundstage. IMO, I don't buy Grados for soundstage (Besides GS1000 etc. - but I don't own one of those), and the 325i has good low end already, so I'd rather buy the older model. Besides, I really like the gold cups.

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 36
I did get 10% off, but that was supposedly because I was originally going to buy the SR225s but they were out of stock. Perhaps the clerk was being dishonest, and they were already 10% off.

The only differences are a different color, thicker cord and a different driver material, correct? The 325i already has a high-quality UHPLC cord, so I doubt a slightly thicker one will make a difference. It's a shame if the bass is improved in the new model, but the 325i already has renowned sound in that department, so again, I have to question whether there's an actual difference. I do prefer the gold over the silver anyway...

It would be great if anyone who has compared these models can give some input, but I doubt there are many who have switched from the 325i to 325is this early.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 36
There's a thread somewhere about the 325is where people said they heard more bass from it. I didn't follow the thread all the way, but from what I read those people didn't have the two headphones to compare side by side. By now, someone has probably compared the two side by side. I'm sure it's in one of those threads.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 36
I had both to compare for a while but obviously the Goldies where well broken in while the new silvers were not. In my experience, the 325is has significantly more bass and also just a tad more sibilance than the 325i. For me the sibilance is sometimes noticeable but never bothersome.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 36
I remember back when I got my 325i that there was a lot of sibilance, and just all over brightness. It took a good amount of breaking in before they really toned out. That could be one of the reasons for the extra sibilance you experienced on the 325is.

I am really interested in hearing the new model, especially if there is more bass. This could be my dream headphone...

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 36
No, they have a couple hundred hours on them at least and they are still fairly sibilant. It is not with all music though, mostly low bitrate podcasts. However some of my other phones are not as sibilant with the same music.

It obviously doesn't bother me all that much, I use the 325is 6-8 hours a day on average!

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price drops don't mean the new one is better. From what i've read here though the main differences lie in the bass and the soundstage. IMO, I don't buy Grados for soundstage (Besides GS1000 etc. - but I don't own one of those), and the 325i has good low end already, so I'd rather buy the older model. Besides, I really like the gold cups.

I didn't comment on quality at all. The OP just mentioned that the new ones were the same price. I wanted to make sure they did, in fact, drop the 325i prices.

I have no interest in the 325is. I'm on too tight of a budget to pass up the now much cheaper 325i.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they have a couple hundred hours on them at least and they are still fairly sibilant. It is not with all music though, mostly low bitrate podcasts. However some of my other phones are not as sibilant with the same music.

Interesting that Grado chose to do this. There was already a lot of complaint about the sibilance on the 325i's. I really cant wait for the local retailer to get a demo set..

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting that Grado chose to do this. There was already a lot of complaint about the sibilance on the 325i's. I really cant wait for the local retailer to get a demo set..

That's what I was thinking too. Although, the sibilance on my 325i seems to have diminished with extensive break-in. Either that or my new source doesn't have as much sibilance.

I'm wondering how much more bass the 325is has over the 325i. I personally think my 325i has a good amount of bass already. Actually, it kind of depends on my source as well.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 36
At this rate, most people are chalking the difference up to placebo.
confused_face.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 36
I haven't heard the 325, only the 325i. I have owned them three times now. I can say without a doubt, that they are one of the best headphones under $500. The HD600 from sennheiser(I guess I can add the hd650 to this category as it's not much different from the hd600) is the only other phone that is in the same bang for buck category. They both get to about 80% of all of the top tier headphones I've heard and owned(doesn't mean I wouldn't go for the top tier first, just means that these are a great value).

They can be a bit harsh, but I have avoided that with warmer sources and amps. I certainly wouldn't pair it with a Benchmark DAC1 and solid state amp. I have used them mainly with warmer sources and tube amps, and it takes care of the sibilance issue.

My main gripe with them(and ALL grados) is that the comfort SUCKS. I wear glasses, and with these it annihilates my ears. lol I can only listen for 2 hours max, and after the first hour I am in sheer pain.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 36
I don't think it's placebo, I listened to them both extensively (A/B next to each other) for a good long time. The silvers have more bass and more sibilance. The only difference was that the silver pair wasn't really burned in all that much. Now with a couple hundred hours, I can't say that the sibilance has diminished much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back