Grado SR325
Sep 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I might be getting some Grado SR325 headphones. These are not the 'i' version, as they are 5 + years old.

The guy will let me have them for £100.

Will the SR325 be a big difference over my beloved old SR80s?

Regards.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 34
Yes, the SR-325's are where I and many others consider where the Grado line improves.  Keep in mind that they will have the bowl pads which I find really uncomfortable.  So much so that I give them a 1 out of 5 for comfort.  The SR-60,80,125, and 225's all have similar sound signatures and the higher the number in that bunch the more treble you gain.  The 325's is the first Grado that gains a little bass.
They go from 18 Hz up to 24 kHz and the headphones below it go from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

I went all the way up to the RS-1i's to get the sound I wanted, but the comfort was so terrible I returned them.

I think you will notice the improved sound over a pair of SR-80's, bu the bowl pads may drive you crazy.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 34
The brightness may also drive you crazy, some love or hate it, when I had a listen to a friends pair once I thought they were very very bright on the treble, which could be fatiguing over time, but there is no doubt they are a step up from the SR80's, £100 isnt a bad price either.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 34
Didnt you have a thread titled Grado SR225?

Let me show you a pic, discern what you will from it:

Those are my SR225 drivers separated fron the plastic outer cups, If you separated the driver housings from the aluminum cups on a 325 you would have the same thing. The point here is the driver housing with that extension ring runs the full length of the aluminum. Which in essence possibly means the only difference between a 225 and a 325 is cosmetic. Although it's entirely possible Grado tweaked the driver a little different to make the 325 sparkle a little more on the top end. Personally I'd go with a 225, liberate the driver from plastic and reseat in some wood ala the RS1 or RS2. I've A/B'ed my woodied 225 with an MS Pro that was loaned to me and my HF2. See review here: Woodied Grado Review and Impressions Thread.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 34
I don't think that matters when he's getting the SR325 at such a low price.  Furthermore, SR325's coloration, most notably the bright metallic treble, does indeed come from the cups.  I did give my SR325is a quick listen when I opened them up to stick dynamat xtreme on the back of each driver.  The metal cups are most certainly affecting the sound.

If you find the bowl pads uncomfortable, TDL-speakers, you can go with flat pads, or modded flat pads.  Quarter-modded HD414 pads are yet another possibility for improved comfort.  I use bowls myself, they are fine for me.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 34
Clicked your link speakers:

I've never seen a plastic 325
confused.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 34
Black 325's for 100 quid? Nab them now.

They will pull an impressive amount of 'swapping' power too if you don't wish to keep them for what ever reason.

Plenty of folk out there who wouldn't mind a pair like these.

Source is everything I must say - the trick is to couple them with the pads of your choice and with
a warm amp or souce. In my case, my SS amp is fairly neutral but my new DAC (Arcam) is
warmish (almost too warm for some phones) - great balance.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 34
5+ years old & still intact, some say the Grado's are poorly built, I think if you look after things then they are ok.

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 34

Quote:

Well, they are 5+ years old.

That's probably the reason, and I guess underscores how very little I actually know about Grado products. I guess the gist of what I was sharing though, was my experience modifying stock Grado's. I have no idea how much different a 225 sounds versus a 325. The differences between i models, and their predecessors. The sonic difference between the 325 in your picture, and an aluminum one; whether they be the goldies, the pre i's, or the i's.

But if that were my 325 I'd put some wood on it...just sayin
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 34

Quote:
That's probably the reason, and I guess underscores how very little I actually know about Grado products. I guess the gist of what I was sharing though, was my experience modifying stock Grado's. I have no idea how much different a 225 sounds versus a 325. The differences between i models, and their predecessors. The sonic difference between the 325 in your picture, and an aluminum one; whether they be the goldies, the pre i's, or the i's.

But if that were my 325 I'd put some wood on it...just sayin
biggrin.gif

Well YES,  I knew you would say that :)

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 34
those black 325s are the best headphones ive ever owned. not to mention they're sweet looking. i will never get rid of mine. i like them more than my rs1i and they are a significant leap up from the 60 or 80. please for the love of god get some ttvj flat pads. not enough people use them and it blows my mind. that is the way grados should sound.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 34
Yup, big change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back